5.0 out of 5 stars a real blast
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with Harry Hay. "Beam Me Up" is a super fun, funny, enjoyable read. I read it in one go and laughed pretty much the whole time. It's just a really great and light-hearted adventure -- I really couldn't put it down!! Definitely decide for yourselves.
Published on 22 Nov 2010 by Markai

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-published, for a reason...
Published on 9 Sep 2008 by Harry Hay

5.0 out of 5 stars a real blast, 22 Nov 2010
Markai (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beam Me Up: What If Teleportation Really Existed? (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 24 Nov 2010
I loved this book! I have to agree with Markai- it made me laugh, just what I needed. It's light hearted, witty, and well written. It's worth remembering that it was written when the internet was still in its infancy. I got the jokes, and I think others will too.

Definitely worth a read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-published, for a reason..., 9 Sep 2008
Harry Hay (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
On the back of this book is an anonymous quote "If Douglas Adams had been forced to base all his stories on Earth, this is what he would have written." I can only assume this quote is from the author himself, because anyone else who has read any Douglas Adams, and who has been unfortunate enough to read this book, would, in my view, struggle to make any real connection between the two -- it would be like comparing say a Van Gogh with the kind of paintings the average GCSE student produces.

"Beam Me Up" lost me in the first fifty pages (actually, in the first thirty, but I struggled on...). The premise of the story contains a hole bigger than any a hurtling meteorite would leave on impact with the earth... How I ask, in this day and age, the internet age, the age of the immediate NewsFlash - the very same day and age that the book is set - could there be a microwave-size teleportation system in use and on sale, to the public, in New York, and it not be known about in the rest of the world?

This premise is a gaping hole in the plot and, unfortunately, a show stopper, as far as I am concerned. Worse, as I read on, it merely serves to highlight the general standard of attention to detail that has gone in to this story... and, as for the supposed comedic value of the book, the writing has yet to raise in me even a half-smile, something which Douglas and countless other talented writers have been able to accomplish in the first couple of pages of their works...

In short - don't bother, unless, like me, you find it in the library.

Beam Me Up: What If Teleportation Really Existed?
Beam Me Up: What If Teleportation Really Existed? by Stephen Clarke (Paperback - 1 April 2004)
Used & New from: £15.48