5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 17 Aug 2010
This review is from: Basics Film-Making 04: The Language of Film (Paperback)
What a read! After reading other titles in the AVA Basics Film-making series and The Fundamentals of Film-Making I picked up this title, and I was really pleased I did. This is a great read for anyone studying or interested in film-making or media. The book considers how film-makers use different methods and themes to construct meaning. The content is interesting yet easy to follow, with really useful discussion questions included.

The AVA Basics are great because the case studies are always clearly displayed, explained and relevant to the content of the text - something which is so rarely the case in art and film books. This title does not disappoint as the case studies are fantastic. I found that I followed up on a lot of examples which I found interesting - and this was doable thanks to the excellent referencing and the glossary at the end.

I also really enjoyed watching the films on the publisher's website which were included as case studies for discussion. I often feel I'm paying a premium price for film books which include a CD or DVD, and I usually end up misplacing them or damaging them, so this was great. Accessing them on the website means I can return to them whenever I like, rather than tracking down my DVD - although maybe that's just me!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Language of Film, 5 May 2010
This review is from: Basics Film-Making 04: The Language of Film (Paperback)
I found this a very useful book for helping me with my studies. It is consise and broken down into clear, easy-to-navigate sections. I would not recommend this book to someone who does not have a reasonable knowledge of film theory, as some of the language is quite technical and could be too confusing to someone below this level. However, once I got past some of the more heavy vocabulary I did find this book informative and accessible. It covers a wide selection without skimming over any of them or dwelling to long. I found the case studies particularly useful in illustrating the topic being covered, and the discussion questions are fantastic for talking with others or just applying them to other films. Evidence is constantly given with each section to help with the clarity of the information and to give specific, referrenced examples in film. If I was only to have one book on film theory, this would be it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Written by Adam Gray, 19 May 2010
C. Gibson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Basics Film-Making 04: The Language of Film (Paperback)
As a film student about to finish my first year, I can safely say (Or type/write) with confidence that this book is easy to navigate and read due to its sections that 'start you off' into the world of film. Semiotics, narrative, intertextuality, ideology, frames and images and 'constructing meaning' are the main areas covered here, each giving you the opportunity to also carry out exercises to do for yourself.

A good few months worth of lecture notes are nicely condensed into this book, and is written in a semi-informal manner.

This book is a great way to start learning about the film industry and, most importantly, its products.

Written by Adam Gray.

Basics Film-Making 04: The Language of Film
Basics Film-Making 04: The Language of Film by John Marland (Paperback - 4 May 2010)
19.95