5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!
Published on 3 Mar. 2008 by R. Findlay

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I wish I had read the previous (and first) review of this book. Had I done so I wouldn't have bought it and could have spent my pennies on something more relevant.

Published on 1 Feb. 2008 by Graham Cownie

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)

The first reviewer sums it up well. This is definitely NOT a studio photographer's lighting bible. It's a coffee table book with lots of pretty pictures but just about nothing on the details of setting up lighting. The lighting setup diagrams are nothing more than vague perspective drawings with little or no information about distances, types of lights etc.

In fact it's difficult to understand who this book is aimed at. It's not technical enough for a photographer and not interesting enough in its own right to appeal to anyone else.

If you are looking for detailed practical guidance on studio lighting look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Light-weight, 4 Dec. 2007
C. Fish "click" (Shropshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)
A beautifully shot coffee table book of limited use in the studio.
There is no discussion of the strenghts and weaknesses of the equipment used, just a range of "clever" set ups for different assignments. Very disapointing. The book does not live up to its title.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great guide that needs some finishing, 18 April 2009
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)
The book contains some very simple orthagonal plans of the lighting, which are very useful.
The only problem with them is that some are missing - it gives the list of heads etc used, but there is no picture to relate to.
Otherwise the book is fine - nothing complicated, so the average user should be able to follow things quite easily.
The missing pictures means the rating drops by one star

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 3 Mar. 2008
R. Findlay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)
Luckily I didn't see the two other reviews before I bought this book (in Borders) as it would have totally put me off. But having read them now I totally disagree. I really like the book. You often get magazine features covering studio product type shots but I've not seen anything that pulls so much on the subject together and covers them in a consistent practical way. Added to that it's a great looking book, beautifully put together, so I'm really happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for the money, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for those who are intrested in studio lighting.

It is very informative and a excellent guide

Well recomended and service is excellent at well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Title of book raises expectations, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)
This is no bible. Disappointing book and not good in any area . I wish I had read some of the reviews before wasting my time in purchasing

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch and learn from a pro, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible (Paperback)
I'm glad I didn't see the reviews for this book before buying it, either. I really enjoyed reading it, and read it cover to cover. It isn't a lighting for dummies book and you should expect to have some knowledge of types of lights and how to control lights from the camera.

What this book gives you is practical applications of lighting, with a brief layout of the lights for different types of product/subject. Once you've read it you will know the first step in lighting almost every product scene, and will have a good idea of where to put your second and subsequent lights. After that, you're on your own in any case.

These are the nuggets of knowledge that you really want from a seasoned professional. They are the diagrams on the back of napkins that Joe McNally posts on his blog, and they are the bits that you can't learn from a primer which only has a handful of examples.

This is a great book to dip back in to, and a nice book to browse on your coffee table, but if you want a beginners book, or a technical manual, or a buyer's guide to studio equipment, you need to look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Aug. 2014
Good

The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible
The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible by Calvey Taylor-Haw (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2007)
Used & New from: £21.99