5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Read - Lots of Information in Compact Handbook.
Published on 5 Aug 2010 by Ro5ie

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but disappointing
I had been looking for a book that would teach me the fundamentals of type. With this book - I thought I had found my answer. Unfortunately this was not the case.
Published on 18 Aug 2010 by MHT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Read - Lots of Information in Compact Handbook., 5 Aug 2010
This review is from: Basics Design: Typography (Paperback)
What a buy! I was first attracted to the book because of the price. Browsing my local book shop I found that some of the books on typography were too bulky and completely out of my student price range. Although it is compact in size I've found this book contains as much, if not more, information than some of the other larger books. It also means I can easily carry it about with me while I'm dashing between the library, work and lectures.
This is the second title I've used in the AVA Academia Basics Design range and they are such a find, I find myself going back to them again and again. They use excellent `up to the minute' case studies which are insightful and aid my understanding of the theory. I think they work well as examples for students and also for the professional. It's really useful to see how different typographies have been used for different projects and businesses in the `real' world; from road signs to billboards, the Salvation Army to a celebration of Salvador Dali.
The book works well visually. The use of coloured pages means the typographic examples really stand out and it is clear that the author and/or the publisher have considered how important the visual element of the book is. I suppose this may seem obvious with a design book, but I was overwhelmed with just how good the book was both aesthetically and academically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Basics Design: Typography (Paperback)
All of the books that I have got from this series are all amazing and very helpful at explaining things in a way that is simple and fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but disappointing, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Basics Design: Typography (Paperback)
Although the book is informative, the way it is written is hard to digest. In addition to this it doesn't give me what I wanted. Which was to walk away knowing how to dissect type and understand how to structure and use it in a variety of medias and mediums. Especially as a reference in conjuction with some software like InDesign. I'd recomend reading it and having a good flick through - but I'm not sure it's necessarily worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typography then and now, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Basics Design: Typography (Paperback)
As an old 'lead`handcompositor I found this book useful - well written and well- produced

Basics Design: Typography
Basics Design: Typography by Paul Harris (Paperback - 4 July 2005)
19.63