on 20 May 2007
I am completing my MA Design Management, if this book would have been published two years ago, my life would be so much easier. The author Kathryn Best, has crafted a book which succintly covers the many areas that Design Management touches and as the title suggests, goes through and breaks down strategy, process and implementation from a design management perspective.

It's a hard task to explain design management to anyone, as it covers so many subjects and areas, but by the end of this book, you have a great feeling of understanding and appreciation of the discipline.

The chapters are short and concise and very well layed out, there's no waffle here just to fill the pages, they get straight to the point and cover it enough for you to go off and ponder what she has touched on and develop yourself.

There are good short interviews and case studies throughout the book. One thing that strikes you is the physical size of the book, I expected a small size, but it is slightly larger then A4, which is not a problem, it just means its awkward to read on the bus!

This is not a handbook of Design Management and it's not a theoretical case book on the subject, I'm afraid to say it sits in between the two because it doesn't, but it does work well from both angles.

I reccomend this book to anyone studying, working in or interested in Design Management as a discipline. Wether you are a student, designer, manager, CEO, marketing professional or entrepeneur from whatever industry or discipline, there is something of value in here for you personally and for your business. An excellent read, highly recomended.
on 5 August 2010
I bought this book after reading The Fundamentals of Design Management by the same authorThe Fundamentals of Design Management. The book covers design strategy, process and implementation of projects involving design. This book expanded on the use of design management theory by adding value to real businesses, while looking at the balance between the practicalities and maintaining the value of quality design.
Best combines theory and case studies to explain key concepts which provoke the reader to form their own opinions. I found this really useful, especially when I was familiar with the product or business, such as the notebook company Moleskine which is used as a case study. I felt this allowed me to contextualise the theories in the book with ease. The author's use of leading professionals' ideas and opinions resonate with the reader; I really trusted the information in this book.
Questions to discuss were asked throughout the book. This really encouraged me to draw my own conclusions which I prefer to being told them! I could see how the questions would be useful in a lecture or during self-study.
All in all an excellent book on a subject fascinating to anyone interested in design, no matter what role they may play within a project or business.
on 21 May 2011
If you are a designer or a design manager or just interest in design this is for you. This book opens your mind and knowledge of the design and how it can be developed to improve your understanding of design management within an organization internally and externally. It provides you with the basic principles that can be applied to any industry make your new found skill transferable. A very valuable toolkit to have.
on 12 October 2015