4.0 out of 5 stars Good pics
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by Jeff Cotton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, just don't read into it
As an explorer myself, I've wanted a look at this book for quite a long time.

Published on 29 Mar 2011 by Andrew Leatherbarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, just don't read into it, 29 Mar 2011
Andrew Leatherbarrow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FORBIDDEN PLACES - Exploring our abandoned heritage: 1 (Hardcover)
As an explorer myself, I've wanted a look at this book for quite a long time.

The final product isn't quite as good as I'd hoped in terms of photographic quality, but still very much worth a look through, especially considering it's so cheap. Many sites I'd never heard of as well as those that I had, which was a pleasant surprise. Such a shame a lot of them no longer exist.

The only real downside to the book is the terrible text written alongside the photographs for each site. Poetic nonsense instead of actual information seems like an obviously poor choice for a book about urban exploration, but that's what we're given. Very little factual information is given, which is very disappointing.

One final point. Considering that many sites only contain 4 or 5 pictures each, the number of blank pages within this book is completely inexcusable. There's one after almost every different location.

Thankfully, the locations themselves mostly make up for the book's shortcomings.

For an alternative, I would strongly recommend Abandoned Places 2, by Henk van Rensbergen http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abandoned-Places-Henk-van-Rensbergen/dp/9020990837/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302799471&sr=1-1

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pics, 31 Mar 2011
Jeff Cotton "fictionalcities.com" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book contains photographs of abandoned buildings across Europe and in America, but mostly in Europe, with a bit of a thing for Belgium. What sets this one apart from the growing pile of books of derelict theatres and crumbling hospitals is the standard of the photography. Often these books contain photographs that one might politely call a straight record, but Mr Margaine knows his craft. The text tends to let the side down, though, with it's tendency to cringe-making 'poetry' but sometimes, though rarely, contains actual information. It's the superb photography that I'd strongly recommend you get this book for. Expertly composed with tastefully muted colours, but by no means monochrome, they make you want to get your camera out and get trespassing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 4 Sep 2010
I bought this book as my original first choice was out of stock. The book contains some truly gorgeous photos that you have to keep going back to as you have missed something the first time round.
It also captures some derelict buildings that are no longer standing and makes you realise the heritage in various countries that just seems to go to ruin. The thought that there are buildings like the ones shown in this book that have just been left to decay is astonishing.
My particular favourite is Chez Madame La Barone, Channel Islands.
Sylvain Margaine has done a 5 star job with this book and I for one love it.
As any Urban Explorer will tell you - Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 20 Jun 2014
fantastik book lost places vol. 11 is also fantastic, both books are good and the pictures are amazing and like posters

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Photographs Horrible Design, 29 April 2014
Very much a lost opportunity, Sylvain Margaine's rather beautiful photographs have been very badly served by terrible page layouts and cheap production standards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 17 Mar 2014
The book is full of interesting photographs.
The images are excellent and very inspiring.
The text is well thought out and easy to read.
A very good book for both the experience photographer as well as a beginner.
Very good value for money as the quality of the paper and printing is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars very well done!, 11 Oct 2010
Wow, what a book. Magical places, incredible photos, wonderful setup.
One advice, go for it, the ideal xmas present!

2.0 out of 5 stars What could have been, 14 Nov 2013
Interesting subject and quite a few exciting locations, but the photographs are not particularly good. Neither is the print quality. Worst of all; the texts are nothing less than terrible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Jun 2011
Very disappointed with the book, to be honest. Expected mucho more. Photographs are not up to the standards I expected, and literature pretends too much... Very focussed on Belgium.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay!, 22 April 2011
Not quite what I expected, lots of pictures from around europe of places I have never heard of. Good quality photographs though. Looked at only once!

FORBIDDEN PLACES - Exploring our abandoned heritage: 1
FORBIDDEN PLACES - Exploring our abandoned heritage: 1 by Sylvain Margaine (Hardcover - 20 Nov 2009)
23.53