on 16 June 2010
Background Info: I am a graphics student lacking a bit of inspiration.

This book is amazing. There are SO many creative briefs, and also a lot of inspiration designs and ideas.

The book is nicely split into sections that are: Packaging, Branding, Visual Identity, Promotion, Page layout (Best one!!), Music Graphics, and Screen-based Design.

The pages are very colourful and bright, and mine still has that new book smell!

Even after i have finished the briefs in the book I will be keeping it because of all the designs and pieces of work in there. And the glossary's and the suggested book lists are really useful.

This book will be staying on my shelves!
on 17 July 2011
I purchased this item for the summer to continue practicing design while working on my thesis and I've found this book really good. Not only do you have exercises but for each section (e.g. branding, online design, packaging), they give you good information on the design process, on different applications, etc.
Then, there are several exercises within each section, starting with an easy one that would consists in making stationery with a given logo, for instance. Then, there are more difficult ones consisting in developing an identity (e.g. logo design, colour scheme, etc). What I find great is that there are solutions for each exercise to illustrate how you could have proceeded. It's good to be able to compare your solution with other options, as it gives more ideas for future practice!
I have only studied graphic design for a year, so I feel this book is a great opportunity to practice. It might be too easy for young graphic designers who've gone through a BA in graphic design. But, I find practicing on different types of briefs for "clients" from different industries makes the exercises quite realistic and is also a good way to explore sectors I would not necessarily have looked into. Indeed, so far, I was training only on areas of interest (e.g. restaurant industry, arts, etc) and now I try and design stuff for hair dressers, lawyers, organic food, etc. So it's quite valuable, I find!
on 7 January 2011
After being out of the habit of designing to briefs, I decided to give this book a try. I'ts a good book giving you the brief, then showing possible design solutions at the end. Some of the earlier briefs are a bit tedious but they are what you make them. Some brilliant briefs at the end that give you more freedom. Good book overall.
on 8 January 2011
This book is simply brilliant I'm a soon to be graphics student, I just needed something to boost my portfolio a bit, It's been great I was in a bit of a rut where my portfolio was concerned so I bought this for some tips, throughout the book it has briefs to work on and other helpful guides you can follow there examples or take it in your own way (i did a few by example but i ended up expanding that to my own designs) it works in sections ranging from packaging, branding, music graphics to screen based graphics aka web design.

My sketchbook is over flowing with doodles and sketches from the briefs and other tips they give in the book, Recommend to anyone even if you just dabble in graphics this book will really get you thinking.
on 25 January 2014
A fatter, sexier book than it looks in the picture here. I bought it because i am going to college to study graphic design, and I am delighted with it. It contains so much more than just briefs. A plethora of useful information for the student, packed with examples and things to take into consideration when working to a brief, I am confident that I will return to it again and again in the course of my studies.
on 22 April 2012
Great lil' book to take a look at for tips and projects for portfolio. I would strongly recommend this book for anyone who is an aspiring graphic designer wanting some inspiring graphic projects to give them a kick start into creating there own smart portfolio. I found it very use full along side my graphic design university course. Gave me some great ideas. a little like teaching yourself. the layout is user friendly and colorful. Also it has difficulty levels on each project which is great for choosing a level you feel comfortable with or fancy challenging yourself. Great value for money as well :)
on 16 October 2012
Has lots of great brief idea in for if you need a little help bulking out your portfolio.

Lots of different briefs for different areas of design, packaging, cd desgn etc.

Great book, really useful.
on 4 May 2015
Quite a good book if you wont to build a diverse portfolio covering up the different market needs for Graphic Design. Excellent.
on 22 October 2011
It's a book for people that already know what graphic design is. adds lots of ideas and useful tools, very handy the different chapters on practical design products. very good!
on 12 March 2015
Great book very practical/ hands on approach