4.0 out of 5 stars Another great product, if pricey
Published on 4 Sep 2010 by Inspector Gadget

***First impressions***
Wow! 400 rrp for a language course...this had better be good.

Published on 23 Aug 2010 by Max

3.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive, comprehensive, fun...but this doesn't justify the price, 23 Aug 2010
***First impressions***
Wow! 400 rrp for a language course...this had better be good.

Opening the box, I'm a bit surprised at how little is in here. A thin user guide (this tells you how to set up the programme, but nothing about the programme itself), one DVD, one CD, a headset and a warning to update the software. I'm not sure what else could have been included, but I feel a little short-changed.

***Installing the product***
It's not clear which CD/DVD you should use. The DVD describes itself as 'comprehensive', offering all 10 levels of spanish. The CD describes itself as 'Espanol de America' 'Start Here' 'new introductory level'. Which to install? The user guide gives no clue, just telling me to insert the CD/DVD in the drive.

I have some basic knowledge of Spanish, so went for the 'comprehensive' DVD. I guess I can install the 'new introductory level' later if needed.

Installation was trouble free, took me about five minutes and then launched Tell Me More automatically. On the advice of the 'warning to update the software' included in the package, I went to the help menu and downloaded a 'Dec 2009' update. This takes another five minutes or so to install on my computer.

***Creating a user account and activating levels***
The programme itself has a very intuitive interface, and after creating a user name and being offered the opportunity to register, I was invited to take an online level test to assess my language needs. As I'm not a complete beginner, this really appeals - I can start wherever I need to with the language. The online test takes around 20-30 minutes, and is a series of audio and written questions to test my vocabulary and grammar.

Once the test is complete, its onto the learning proper. I'm assessed as 'level 2' and the software quickly takes me into a screen detailing a series of lessons and exercises I can take associated with that level.

Another plus is that it's possible to create more than one user account - so other people using the software can learn the language at their own pace.

***The exercises***

The progress screen for 'level 2' shows a whole range of exercises, and the estimated time it will take to complete them. I can see there's well over 40 hours worth of learning in level 2. That starts to explain the price tag (with 10 levels that's a lot of learning!)

The exercises are fun, varied, intuitive and help to make it as easy as possible to motivate yourself to come back to the programme regularly to progress. I have noticed my progress after only a week.

However, based on a week's usage I don't think the price is justifiable. As a comparison, a 10 week evening course in Spanish is readily available in my home city of London for under 200. Alternatively, you can buy Michel Thomas' excellent Michel Thomas Foundation Course: Spanish (Michel Thomas Series) combined with Michel Thomas Advanced Course: Spanish (Michel Thomas Series) for well under 100.

I can see the added convenience of an in-home programme over an evening course, although for me the benefit of the evening course is that you actually get to interact with real people in Spanish (and it's harder to let your learning slip). I can also see the added benefit of the interactive, varied programme over Michel Thomas' audio CDs. But they have worked very well for me in the past.

***Usage over the long-term***
The text above was written after a week or so using the product. Now after a month or two I have found that I am not using the product as often as I ought to for the price. This is not at all the fault of the product, which I would still rate as very high quality. However, I find my motivation to learn a language on my own is not sufficient to keep me working at it in the evenings and weekends. For me an organised course would be much better value, as I would be forced to keep up the learning.

***Conclusion***
This programme is great, but at the price there are better, and cheaper, options available. If you have a specific reason for wanting to learn Spanish in your own home, in front of your computer, and are prepared to pay over the odds for it, this product is excellent. However, for most potential buyers I would suggest there are better options out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great product, if pricey, 4 Sep 2010
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Spanish set for Tell Me More is arranged and organized exactly like the English set. The makers have produced all of these packages in the same format and contains all of the same features, which is extremely user friendly and easy to get the hang of. I commented in my English review that it was a good way to home-school kids on the English language (instead of less engaging lessons in school). The Spanish set is so straight-forward that it can also be used this way, and is especially good for young kids as they can learn faster than adults, so if you want them to have a second language then now is the time and Tell Me More is a great investment for this purpose.

For language learning software, you'd be hard pushed to find something better than Tell Me More.

2.0 out of 5 stars languish [sic] learning, 8 Dec 2012
b4-its-2-l8 (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think I should start this review by putting my cards on the table; I'm Dyslexic (specific area of weakness is comprehension - grasping new information can be a challenge) hence, that should be borne in mind whilst reading the review as it could be an influencing factor. Although, what I find confusing is that I score well in IQ and reasoning tests whilst spelling and eventual sentence structure (it can take several attempts) is all pretty good but at times acquiring new knowledge can be a real chore.

Therefore, with that qualifier in mind I have to say I do not like this programme, almost not at all, and for the money they're after that should not be the case.

What I need in a language (as with any learning) programme is that it should be clearly explained and with clear signposting. In this way the focus of the ACTUAL LEARNING will be the language (topic) itself and not be about the process by which it's delivered. If I can easily follow what I`m meant to be DOING I can then concentrate on what I'm meant to be LEARNING. This is why this programme doesn't work for me; it drops you straight in without guidance and you have to rummage around clicking random buttons or hovering the cursor over them just to find out what it does (very much like taking stabs in the dark but this presentation style is diametrically opposite to the learning styles that work for me).

In this regard, the review by 'Debzy' 13th Jun '11, is the one which most closely matches my own experience; I too took the online quiz and also scored as a level 4, and up until this point everything seemed to be going well, but then it all quickly fell apart. A long stream of tests where you use guesswork to have a go at what a question might mean, followed by guesswork to select what the correct multiple-choice answer might be - without at any point being given the translation - quickly became a tedious, tiresome and frustrating process.

I 'downed tools' and gave up at that point, but over the next few months I returned to the software another couple of times as I felt guilty about quitting just because the programme enhanced strong feelings of stupidity (not universally accepted as being a conducive mindset to effective learning) but my progress languished as before.

I've just finished my final attempt; I installed the CDs again from scratch into my newest PC and this time instead of selecting the online assessment test I opted for the complete beginner level, hoping the quality of explanation would be different, but I can't really add much to what's already been stated as it's just more of the same. I was moving the cursor around the screen to different buttons until I realised I could perform the same thing just by right-clicking on the chosen text (e.g. translation, listening, and pronunciation practice), which made a big difference but there is still a definite lack of fluidity to the process.

Incidentally, I'd recommend viewing the male-voiced instruction video for this software as listed on Amazon it's clear to follow and would have saved me some time. However, the female-voiced video is little more than an extended sales-pitch explaining why TELLMEMORE is so 'good'.

If this programme retained an easily accessible, informative running commentary to guide me through the process (like in the male-voiced video) I'd feel confident about pursuing it, perhaps even giving it 4 maybe even 5 stars, but as it's sorely missing I'm afraid I don't feel confident in recommending this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best there is..., 25 Oct 2012
A R Hartley "Monkey" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with most of us poor kids of the UK, we are subjected to the arts of "Learning a language" at school, usually by a stressed out teacher who cannot cope with the annoying noisey kid in the class, so we spent most of our time listening to him getting a telling off and then maybe learning "Hola" and a few other words. In fact ive probably learnt more from Dora the Explorer with my little neice and nephew that i did at school.

So what is it exactly. Well its a language teaching software package that not only teaches you to speak the lingo, but to read it, write it and understand what it is your saying and hearing. This is what makes it stand out. Your not just sat repeating something thats spoken to you, your actually working out why it is your saying it and what it means.

The package comes with a free headset, a starting CD and some advanced stuff on another 2 cds and some manuals etc.

The software revolves around exercises such as repeating sentances and being marked on your ability to speak it fluently, also word exercises such as word jumbles etc, all designed to make you "think" in the language your learning.

I know some pople will scoff at the price, but if you need to learn the language, especially for jobs etc, there is NO other substitute, it is quite simply the best out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you REALLY want to learn Spanish..., 16 Sep 2011
Paul Ferguson "Gildermershina" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll just say this up front: I have not completed this course. I am pretty bad at learning languages, so my progress is very slow.

There's not a lot in the box here but there's a reason for that. There's an okay headset here for the speech recognition aspect of the learning programme - which works reasonably well, though is absolutely no replacement for a real tutor. Beyond that,the majority of the content here is on the disc.

There is A LOT of material here at each level, and though I have not really gone further than level 1, even at that stage I feel like I've learned a large amount. There's simple reading, writing and speech exercises, and the program mixes it up to keep things interesting. The problem here is you really have to be motivated to do this. It's a solid commitment that is hard to maintain without the encouragement that a class can provide.

This program does what it does very well, but it is a big commitment of money, and then of time. If you need to learn Spanish, and you need to learn it at home these Tell Me More packages would fit the bill. Maybe you would be better picking up a smaller early level package before making a purchase like this. By the time you get through this, seems like you'd be a fluent speaker.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: TELL ME MORE Spanish v10 10 levels (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
After having read countless reviews & compared many products I chose this Spanish learning programme, with the idea that my 19 yr old son could start with the basics as a complete beginner and I could pick up at a higher level having spent several years studying the language in the past (but become very rusty).

At first my son could not manage the programme without my help, though we then realised we should have loaded another disc too. He seemed reasonably happy after this and I left him to it (although I note he already seems to have lost his intial enthusiasm to learn the language).

After completing an online test I was placed at level 4 and was keen then to start learning and improving. The problem is, I don't feel I'm actually learning anything? All I seem to be doing is completing a serious of tests - filling in blanks in sentences, word association, crosswords, answering questions on a listening exercise. I mean, I'm sure this must help me revise my previous Spanish, but if for example I am asked to do something in a tense I either didn't learn before or never got to grips with, there doesn't seem to be any explanation of its correct use. True there are some explanations of sorts, but I am no dim wit & yet I struggle to understand them.

I'm afraid so far I have not been impressed at all & find I get bored and / or frustrated easily. To be honest I'd rather have saved my money as this is by no means a cheap programme. I did contact the support team to check I was navigating the programme correctly, but they were no help at all. I just feel I am trying to answer questions that should follow some sort of teaching element?

I have given the programme 3 stars though as I do appreciate there is a lot on it. And given that is has such good reviews I am going to persevere with it, perhaps by dropping a level or two to see if that helps. Failing that I'd rather have been offered a money back guarantee!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful program but very expensive., 17 Sep 2010
S Finnerty "Steve" (Hedge End, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this course for a couple of weeks and also tried it out on my son but there is a lot of content here and you need to use it for much longer to be able to offer a complete review. Inside the double sized box is a set up guide, a rather cheap looking headset with seperate 3.5mm jacks for headset and mic, the main DVD and an introductory level CD worringly called Espanol de America!

The installation onto Windows 7 was simple and straightforward with the application updating to the latest version via the Internet which took approx 15 mins in all. I then had to create an account and register a user name followed by an online level test to assess my language skills which took about 30 mins covering both audio and written questions. I was able to create an additional user account for my son to use the the software, useful as he is better than me!

There is a lot of content which is varied covering wider subjects such as culture geography as well as key elements of grammer and repetitive drills. The interface is intuitive and I found the program useful especially with the focus on speaking rather than just grammer which gets a bit boring. The speach recognition seemed to work surprisingly well although I chose to use my own headset.

My main reservation is around the cost and also if you are willing to spend this much whether evening classes interacting with real people may be better. However for those who wish to learn at home and are willing to put the time in this is a comprehensive and effective package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic learning tool, 16 Sep 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The software was easy to install and also comes with a headset. Once installed it is very easy to navigate and has a single page that shows where you are currently at (it provides 10 levels of learning). There are loads of activities to do, which also includes a speaking session that uses the headset, it is actually like talking to a person. The other activities are fun and varied and really help learning. I would however not recommend this software if you are not planning to use the language much (due to the cost), but if you want to get a really good understanding of the language I would definately recommend this. I went from not knowing any Spanish at all, to being able to understand and participate in conversations. This product will improve your understanding of the language significantly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish made easy, 28 Oct 2010
Ladybubbles (Croydon, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tell Me More - Spanish is a full comprehensive language course - easy to install and use. I did however find the headset a bit flimsy and thought that for the price they could have included a decent head set.

As a language student I am always on the lookout for anything that assists me in learning the language of my choice. I used Rosetta Stone for my French and now that I have moved onto Spanish I wanted to see if there was anything out there that would be just as good or better and I must say that Tell Me More compares very favourably.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wishes to learn a language and are a bit gun shy or cannot fit classes into their schedule. All activities/lessons are set up in a logical format making it easy to use.

It is set up so that more than one family member can use it and have their individual accounts so that they can check their progress.

If home learning is your thing, maybe now is the time to learn that language you always wanted to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Extensive., 25 Oct 2010
Biff - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a massive course - it is very comprehensive in its coverage - almost too comprehensive as it is possible to find yourself lost and wondering where you are in the course and what you should be doing next.

It is however to be commended as it is one of the best language courses out there - certainly up with Rosetta Stone.

However the supplied headphones are, well just cheap - they really could have done better there and they lose a star for not supplying a set more appropriate to the cost of the course.

You will have to put the hours in to get the best from this course - it is a full course not a few hours listening to a CD course - but the more you put in the more you will get out.

Overall very pleased with this item.

TELL ME MORE Spanish v10 10 levels (PC DVD)
TELL ME MORE Spanish v10 10 levels (PC DVD) by TELL ME MORE (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
358.54