Le Hobbit
Format: HardcoverChange

on 24 February 2010
The Hobbit is inevitably seen in the shadow of the epic Lord of the Rings, perhaps as a sort of extended prologue, but this is unfair. It is a different sort of book, aimed at a younger audience, with a lighter tone and much smaller scope. It is an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable book in its own right; because it focuses on Bilbo throughout, the reader can identify with the hero much more than in Lord of the Rings, and it is very exciting as well as often very funny. I particularly like the twists at the end which turn a fairly straight-forward treasure hunt into a moral dilemma where loyalty and justice clash.

I enjoyed reading the French translation, but have a couple of minor quibbles; I found the poems and songs lost some of their rhyme and rhythm in French - I think in this case the translator should have favoured preserving the 'flavour' rather than keeping the literal meaning. For example:

'Voila ce que deteste Bilbo Baggins!
Aussi, attention! Attention aux assietes!'

It doesn't exactly have the same punch as:

'That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So carefully! Carefully with the plates!'

Also, unaccountably the translator, Francis Ledoux, makes Bilbo 'around 25' rather than 50'ish. There are few enough middle-aged adventure heros, why rob us of one our favourites?
on 31 March 2002
I already wrote a review for this, but I wasn't nearley as thorough as I should have benn! This book is simply the best thing ever to happen for people who like adventure books! When I first read it I never imagined it was so intersting. Now the least I could do is recomend you to read on the story of Bilbo Baggins, a quiet hobbit who didn't like being roused or being involved in anything strange, but was taken on the adventure of a lifetime by Gandalf The Grey, a powerful wizard. This book demonstrates how a people should be open for change. If you like this adventure, then I am sure that you will enjory greatley reading The Lord Of The Rings. Even young children should go for this one! (I first read it when I was 11!)
on 6 December 2000
bilbo is a fantastik book there are mutch stories.bilbo is a very big persion in a small pearsion.he is a very god in sealf.
GooooD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!