on 3 March 2011
I've just started living in France and so use this on the train to work every morning, as it was recommended by a friend who herself learnt using these books (but not only these books, theyre a supplement but I imagine impossible for learning completely). The books use no other language but French even for instructions which I think's helpful because it forces you to think this way and it extends your vocabulary, but I would have liked to have known that corrections (corrigés) must be bought separately. It's good practice but unless you know if anything you're doing is right you might very well just be getting well practised at the wrong thing. I've ordered the corrections/answers but think it'd be nicer if you could purchase the two as a pack (I understand one book would be pretty thick and not practical).
on 1 August 2010
I love this book. My French tutor uses it as one of her learning tools. It has helped me to talk and write French. It guides you through French grammar, starting at the very simple and leading you to more complex ideas. It is all in French so encourages you to learn and think in French.
on 4 June 2010
If you are looking for a french grammar with step by step units and exercises covering all the fundamentals then this is THE BOOK. I liked the fact that grammar explanations are provided on the left pages whereas the exercises are given on the right ones. You can immediately do exercises and put into use what you have just learned. I recommend you work out all the exercises from cover to cover, because the book will take you gradually from the elementary concepts to the more difficult ones. Together with the book of answers, it is an ideal grammar for self study.
on 1 January 2010
These books provide good practise when learning French. I believe they use them in the French schools too according to my french friend. The corrections books provide the answers as well so are probably useful to buy as well. Now I just need to find the time to work through them !
on 9 December 2009
I was looking for a French grammar written in French and this fits the bill completely. It can be used by reading from page 1 through to the end or by selecting particular grammar features from the index. The range of examples makes comprehension very easy and the vocabulary is at the right level for someone who is at the intermediate level of learning French. This will be a constant companion during the time that I am improving my French written and conversational skills.
on 28 September 2014
I used this for self-study and I would highly recommend it for anyone who already knows a bit (not necessarily a lot) of French and wants a systematic grounding in grammar. Basically what you get is a book written entirely in French which provides a huge number of exercises to drill different rules. I used it on the train going into work every day and found it extremely useful and well put together - so much so that I'm buying another version to go through again (given I wrote all the answers in my original copy!)

I do have one major gripe however. Like several other reviewers I find it a bit inconvenient that you have to buy the answers in another book. This could be justified on a convenience level perhaps (as it saves you flicking pages) but what I really object to is that it isn't made very clear when you buy the book that the answers aren't included. In fact if you click on "look inside" on Amazon here the preview actually shows answers even though there aren't any in the book. That's pretty indefensible and almost seems to be intentionally misleading.

However beyond this it's still worth the money for the book/answers so I'd still recommend it.
on 3 June 2013
Overall this is a great purchase but of course you have to do the work. Great for polishing your rusty French.

I find that the spaces to fill in the answers are far too small so I use a separate jotter. I've ordered the answers book - I prefer it being separate, that makes it much easier to refer to.

The book has soft covers but is bound in signatures the good old fashioned way, so you can open it flat without the pages falling out - that's worth the higher price.
on 2 June 2014
Was suggested by my french tutor.
First thing to note, i would not suggest it for self-study! Firstly, i did not like the structure, and found it much more useful to search the web and go through other resources. Secondly, i did not have the answer booklet and found it very disturbing the fact that i have to order it separately. Rules are not very well explained, not all the exceptions from the rules are provided.
It is great to use this book in conjunction with tuition. Allows u and your tutor to check your progress each time you meet by allowing him to check how well you have performed in the exercises.
Exercises are of different levels of difficulty which i also found very useful.
Overall, good book for class work or tuition. Not great for self study, thats why only 3 stars
on 7 August 2009
I love this series of books. They provide clear grammatical points then progressive exercises. It is all in French, so does require good understanding or someone to help clarify.
on 11 December 2012
I had the first level and bought this to continue my learning of French.
I find the lessons helpful with the exercise a plus