5.0 out of 5 stars philosophy for children (and adults)
I first read this in French for A level, forty years ago. I bought a copy in English, which has disappeared, and I rediscovered it in my local "tabac" about a year ago. It is a wonderful book, which every adult with average intelligence should read at least once in their lifetime.
Published on 17 Jun 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book, poor reproduction
A cheap reproduction of a great French book. The images are in black and white and of low quality, and they look like they've been photocopied. Shame, as the drawings are integral to the story and the originals are very charming.
Published 21 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars philosophy for children (and adults), 17 Jun 2003
By A Customer
The world from the perspective of the little prince is revealed in a way which is charming but not at all sentimental, and very thought-provoking if one allows oneself to be challenged.
I'm not saying any more than that - buy the book and discover it for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars le Petit Prince, 24 May 2010
Delightful story, full of insight, beautifully presented with author's watercolours. Bonus is the moderate pricing and the fast delivery for no extra charge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscover le petit prince in your soul, 17 Oct 2010
This review is from: Le Petit Prince (Paperback)
I read this book the first time some years ago in German, and it immediately touched my heart. At that time, I decided to buy a french copy too, even though I didn't know a single word of french. Now finally, I reread the book in its original version and I felt again the warm touch of its words, as warm as the simple observations little children often do. It has been a true pleasure for me to rediscover its simple message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Je t'aime, mon petit prince, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Le Petit Prince (Paperback)
This story is incredibly touching, inspirational and beautiful, and I will love it forever. It lets us experience our world from the viewpoint of the completely innocent, pure, wholesome and untainted Petit Prince - who is simultaneously sweet, humourous and adorable. Thus he helps to put life into perspective by compelling us to reconsider what is truly important. However, he does this in such an amusing, charming and original manner that we are hardly aware of the profound effect he has upon us until the end, when, "nothing in the universe will be the same if somewhere, we know not where, a sheep that we never saw has - yes or no? - eaten a rose".

As a student at AS level (Year 12) I found that I was able to understand the text without difficulty, although I did keep a dictionary near by, just in case. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but I suppose you could read it along side the english translation. As for understanding the story itself, a dictionary will be of no use; you must be prepared to read it through the eyes of the child within you.

It arrived in good time and condition, but I would highlight that the book is literally a "paper" back - not laminated or any thicker than the other pages (which in my opinion makes it even more special), so take extra care to look after it as the enchanting illustrations really are too wonderful to lose. A buy I certainly do not regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 19 Sep 2010
I was really happy with my purchase. I needed tb book for school and it's perfect. It looks great the watercoulours are stunning. Plus I was able to rely on the sender to be efficient with the posting. The price and postage and packaging was fair. And I'm really happy with their service.

5.0 out of 5 stars words cannot describe, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: Le Petit Prince (Paperback)
words cannot describe the beauty and wisdom of that book. I read the translated version when I was a kid and now that I am fluent in French I decided to purchase the French version. It is one of the few books that can help me relax after a busy day and I am extremely happy to be able to read the exact words as the author intended them to be read when writing the text.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book, poor reproduction, 18 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 28 Jan 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This a French classic which has charm, wonder and is well told.

It was, understandably, voted best book of the 20th century in France. It's also amazing that it continues to sell over a million copies every year.

The book is quite poetic, with watercolour illustrations by the author. The plot involves a pilot stranded in the sahara desert and he meets the prince. The story is also philosophical and remarks on the strangeness of the adult world. Which is as true today as it was when written.

My favourite bit? "On ne voit bien qu'avec le caeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ("One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.")

There are several versions of the book: Hardback, paperback, Kindle, folio, CD etc.

Some have bemoaned the quality of this folio edition, but my edition is lovely. (purchased Jan 2014)

I also purchased the audio separately and this does help with pronunciation. Le Petit Prince CD

Although once I had purchased them noted that a French/English edition is available which includes a CD. The Little Prince: A French/English Bilingual Reader (Includes audio CD) Which seems to be better value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic "must have read", 25 Sep 2010
M. Hayward "Dr Soil" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Le Petit Prince (Paperback)
My 1970s O Level French was enough to extract a lot of pleasure from this little book that I'd previously heard read in English by Peter Ustinov on tape. A children's adult book or an adult's children's book, or simply a myth with multiple layers of meaning. A source-book of modern philosophy and "green" thought? Who knows? Some literature is immortal. Up there with Shakespeare, Voltaire and Vonnegut...

5.0 out of 5 stars A volume to keep for ever, 23 Aug 2010
G. A. White "Grandma" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Le Petit Prince (Hardcover)
Beautiful example of this classic book. Got it for my 10 year old grand-daughter for presentation to her as French prize at school, and it couldn't have fitted the bill better.

Le Petit Prince
Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Paperback - 18 July 2000)