4.0 out of 5 stars Get your dictionary out!
Published on 19 April 2011 by Alison1123

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick to Google
Published on 24 Oct. 2011 by Mr. C. Haughey

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your dictionary out!, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Michelin Guide France 2011 2011 (Michelin Guides) (Hardcover)
Rather naively perhaps, I had assumed that buying the Michelin Guide in the UK meant it would be in English - not so! We've thus had some interesting times going through the English-French dictionary as we try to decipher the finer points such as 'what's on the menu'. That said, there's a 'How to use this guide' in English and once you've conquered the various symbols there's a wealth of information at your disposal. Particularly useful to us has been the inclusion of the Bib Gourmand - good quality cuisine at a reasonable price. Also recommended hotels and restaurants within striking distance of larger towns and cities. Perhaps one last word of advice - since the symbols can be a tad confusing at times, it's worth contacting directly the hotel or restaurant to make sure you've understood it all correctly. Bon chance!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like it?, 13 Jun. 2011
When I go to France, I always take this book with me, for its hotel & restaurant recommendations and town plans, in a portable form. I don't buy one every year, and in fact the last one I had was the 2007 edition, so just out of curiosity I had a quick superficial look at the two of them. Here's a few differences - the 2011 version first, followed by the 2007 in brackets:
-- No handy bookmark containing explanation of symbols (included with all previous editions I have had)
-- 1862 pages (2075)
-- Includes "more than 4500 hotels" according to the back cover blurb ("more than 5100 hotels")
-- Includes "more than 3300 restaurants" ("more than 3600 restaurants")
-- 601 resaurants in the Bib Gourmand category - good food at reasonable prices (489)
-- 571 starred restaurants (527)

So - overall, fewer recommendations for your money, but more of the cheaper ones? Not sure if Michelin thinks the standards of French cuisine are slipping ...

Also - and I am not sure if this was due to Amazon wanting to source as cheaply as possible, and therefore choosing the French version, or whether Michelin has cut down on foreign versions - the 2011 version that I have just received is in French albeit with an introduction & explanation of symbols in English (and other languages), whereas my 2007 copy was in English (with introductions and explanations in other languages including French). You may want to check this out if French is an issue for you.

PatC

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelin Guides, 19 May 2011
This book has been a "needs have" book for many years and the information on Hotels and restaurants is invaluable. As France is a place where we visit yearly we have looked for it there but to be able to buy it through you is something I have been wanting for some time. This purchace is great value for money and is used regularly. It arrived well packed and in perfect order a day before I was expecting it.Great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick to Google, 24 Oct. 2011
Mr. C. Haughey (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I purchased this guide on recommendation of a seasoned French traveller. I found it hard to read the writing is very small) and the amount of actual information was very limited....I ended up using Tripadvisor and Google on the laptop with much greater success. I can appreciate the value of the guide and the sheer amount of information it contains but I'll be sticking to Google from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential turn off turn on, 4 Jun. 2011
No clever reviews, but totally reliable glove compartment essential. Driving through France, I rely on this to plan my overnight stops around meals of a good standard in places I don't know.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confused by language, 6 Oct. 2011
I bought this book to give me a reasonable idea of hotels and restaurants while I was touring through France. Although the instructions on use of the book were in English, all text describing hotels and restaurants was in French. Well, it's all Greek to me! Perhaps the book should be in English for those of us (purchasing in the U.K.) who have only a Basil Fawlty command of French? Apart from that, it was a bit of a curate's egg. I am not sure if I gave it a fair trial but, while a little useful, it was not the answer for which I had hoped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great condition!, 18 Jan. 2014
Very pleased with the book once I got it. Unfortunately I was sent the wrong book (with the right order slip) the first time round, but in fairness to the seller this one was sent out immediately I informed them of the problem and they didn't want me to mess about sending the other one back either which was good (especially as it was Christmas time)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful to pick the right restaurant, 26 Aug. 2011
Unfortunately the restaurant reviews in this English version of the Guide Michelin are still in French. Fortunately I can read a little French, the reviews were very helpful and because of it we had some very good meals during our stay in France. By the way: via Amazon a lot cheaper (40%) than via any other sales channel in the Netherlands!

5.0 out of 5 stars french leave, 20 Sept. 2011
very easy to use, fund it very helpful in finding reasonably priced places to ear and centre city maps were very useful.Did not bother with the over the top red entries as only wanted to have good French food not food that tried to be magazine photo food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelin guide review, 16 July 2011
Excellent guide which lives up to previous editions( sadly mine was outdated) too many places still to visit and try out in a life time. Probably the best help when touring or planning a tour in France, but too many temptations.

Michelin Guide France 2011 2011 (Michelin Guides)
Michelin Guide France 2011 2011 (Michelin Guides) by Michelin Guides (Hardcover - 3 Mar. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01