5.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening, short piece
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by D. Tuffnell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but ultimately disappointing
Generally speaking I am a big fan of Sam Harris and admire and like his work.

This particular piece, however I found it a little disappointing that, having teased us with difficult examples at the beginning of the piece, he fails to answer them in the ensuing text.

Published 23 months ago by Pete Grimes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but ultimately disappointing, 6 Sep 2012
Generally speaking I am a big fan of Sam Harris and admire and like his work.

The SS officer at door of the protectors of Anne Frank is an excellent example. What would have been a correct answer to the inquiry? The suggested "I wouldn't tell you if I knew" would surely have won tthe respondant a bullet in the brain and a search of his premises over his corpse.

As to it never being OK for a state to lie to its people I would have taken an analysis of Churchill's decision to "lie" to the people about the foreknowledge that the Germans were just about to bomb Coventry in order to keep the secret that the enigma code had been broken rather more convincing than the rather simplistic assertion that it is just never OK.

The failure of the piece to address the really Difficult issue consigns it to the 'interesting yet ultimately unconvincing' category rather than the 'compelling category IMHO

5.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening, short piece, 14 Oct 2011
D. Tuffnell (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Being a bit of a fan of Sam Harris, I had to buy this, and I'm even more so glad of it than the End of Faith. It is a short, and easy to read, essay, which reveals the positive (albeit hard) side of not lying. Revealing, in a few examples how it can make us all better, and sure, it would damage some relationships, but allows us to consider whether they are relationships worth sustaining?
In that way, it is about not only not lying to the people around us, but, in turn, about being truthful to and about ourselves.

A fascinating read, that people of any or no faith can read and (hopefully) take something from.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, clear-headed read, but a bit slight ..., 15 Sep 2012
I enjoyed this long essay and read it in an hour. It's a single argument, logically laid out, well backed-up and persuasive. Its short length does make it feel a little shallow, though. It's reads like a taster of a longer, deeper exploration to come. Cheap though!

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful source for introspection, 20 Sep 2011
Read the essay and enjoyed it very much, I try to be as honest as I possibly can but this short read has given me cause for a little introspection and the boost to go that extra mile. I'm sure I'll benefit from it greatly.

Sam boasts a clarity that few people could ever hope to achieve but for which we should all strive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple call to improve your life! Excellent, 20 Sep 2011
J. Buckie (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Once more Sam Harris lays the truth bare in a way which affirms enlightenment values.

In this concise and readable essay, Harris definitively makes the moral and practical case for telling the truth in virtually all situations, and the way in which this improves human relations and has a purifying effect on how complicated and anxious life is.

I hope Sam Harris writes more like this and no one should hesitate to hit the download button!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 19 Sep 2011
J. McEwan "JC McEwan" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a well conscructed and thought provoking essay which makes you consider the consequences of lying - even; though meant for the best of intentions of course, those innocent "little white lies" that we are all capable of telling.

By its end I found that I had to reconsider most of the reasons for lying that I held to be patently true and the impact that it can have on others.

For such a compact little thing, this is packed with common sense and is a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and deep, 20 Sep 2011
H. G. Schmidt - See all my reviews
Sam Harris has a deep and profound understanding of the interconnectedness of morality and the relationship of principles to practice. How lying, step-by-step, entraps you into a horrible unreality, and how it undermines and destroys your ability to exercise other virtues.

Sam Harris seems to be reconstituting much Objectivist ethics independently. Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and concise, 3 Oct 2011
Very good book. As is usual for sam not a word is wasted which makes it a joy to read. This is a penetrating and insightful book with some levity at times. I found it moving as it resonated with situations I had experienced in my own life. I would heartily recommend it and have already had a long discussion about it with a friend within minutes of reading it. It puts to rest the myth about how telling white lies is ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest life is probably going to be a better one, 23 Sep 2011
Life can only get so far off the rails when you're honest with the people you interact with. Sam Harris persuasively argues that intentionally misleading the people you are surrounded by on even apparently trivial matters is subtly corrosive to trust, strenuous and generally self-defeating in the long term.

This book/essay is very easy to read and follow. I wasn't big on lying to begin with, but this book has strengthened my intuitions that honesty is worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars If enough people read, this could change the world, 21 Sep 2011
Why is it bad to lie? Read Sam Harris and change yourself for the better. Even if you think you already have an intellectual understanding of why it is bad to lie, still read. I thought I did, but it turns out I was hazy, and I really learned a lot from this Kindle single.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lying
Lying by Sam Harris (Hardcover - 19 Dec 2013)
6.99