1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 16 Jun 2013
g (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atom & Eve (Paperback)
Yes thats right 0 out of 5, my first ever zero (although on gr & amazon its a 1 star as it won't allow zeros sadly). Never, ever have I felt the need to zero star a book before.

A quick summary (which you don't need really as there is NO PLOT): A flu spreads across the US, the cure is developed by a chemist (Mandy Fox) but she (for some unexplained reason) messes with the cure and ends up making men produce more estrogen and women more testosterone. Women then get up off their lazy ass behinds and get jobs as oil riggers and line backers, men on the other hand get the women lazy gene and decide to become stay at home dads. Oh and all those super successful men lose their jobs, no explanation as to why, just that they do. Thats it. Along the way we meet a host of completely irrelevant characters that have absolutely nothing to do with the story (thats because there is NO STORY).

OOOOH I'm seething just writing the summary. This is the most sexist piece of work I've come across, if I had not known the author was a man I could of guessed by the horrendous portrayal of women through out the book. Not only is there the crazy and hugely insulting notion that women NEED the male hormone testosterone to be successful in like, but the general attitude to women is appalling. Kendra/keria (I can't even remember her name and I'm not going to back to check for fear I might set fire to my kindle to save my eyes), a presidential candidate (yes a women DARES to run for president, and this is before the drug and gender swaps) makes a speech to the public where she goes on about men impregnating women and running, and I really can't repeat the S*** that this book then goes on to spout. OOOOOHHHH I'm mad.

Aside from the ignorant sexism in the book, the whole thing makes ZERO sense. As I may have mentioned there is NO plot. None what so ever, I've no idea where the atom and eve bit comes in (I was expecting a love story), we spent chapter after chapter jumping from idiotic character to idiotic character for no reason. There is no realism in the book at all, can you imagine men or women accepting a forced gender change due to a drug side effect? no there would be pandemonium, but no, in Yager's book it all just goes swimmingly. It is full of time scale errors - the whole country changes gender roles in seconds, within weeks women are in the football leagues, working in `mens' jobs and the economy is changing to be geared towards the now dominant sex...women. WEEKS, oh but its ok, because Yager acknowledges that there would be issues, so here we go have women only gangs. There's also the notion that a university scientists goes and does her own human trial (one) and then the drug is accepted and put to mass market - REALLY? Then we have the inconsistencies, firstly - the book says the drug is mandated for all that are sick, then Ricky is given a choice, oh AND Ricky gets better in the start of the book, then he's back in hospital being given the cure? Then it says everyone was affected by the cure, through vaccination (which btw is not the same as treatment, how does a cure become a vaccination in a few days?) and its outlawed, but there are numerous characters that just go on as normal. The shops are shut, yet they manage to bump into new love interests in shops......it goes on and on. Add to that the fact that no-one seems bothered by the side effect, particularly the creator (who as I said messed with it in the first place, for a reason that is not given), its just accepted by all. THEN it all descends into rape here, rape there, rape everywhere - but by women, so that makes it different :S Oh and then Ricky after being raped by several gang members goes off for dinner with a new love interest (and says `I'm a virgin' - not any more love).

So you think thats bad? it gets worse. The writing. O.M.G the writing. Monkeys could do better, ONE monkey could do better. When introducing a character we get their whole life story (and every SINGLE one wants to change humanity for the better - yes really), from their husband and kids names to the date they gave up smoking. Every time the characters talk to each other they over use the other's name or nickname, then when talking about another they use similar over-formal names (mother to father; that was your son on the phone, I worry about my baby etc etc). The other dialog is as bad - `you'll be divorced AND excommunicated' and so on. The descriptive text is nothing to rave about either `the muscular hunk did so and so etc etc etc. As you can imagine a writer with such terrible writing ability can't build any decent characters either, they are stereotypical, wooden and entirely dislikable.

I know you may think I'm being unfair, I'm not. This is THE worst book I have read in a VERY long time, it does for sexism what Revealing Eden does for racism. I tried to find something good about the book, and I did. Its short, and it was free. I am in utter shock that such an appalling piece of work can get published and even get its own dedicated website, when there are endless superior authors out there who are forced to self publish because they can't get a break.

One to stay away from, don't say I didn't warn you.

***ARC/egally kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

3.0 out of 5 stars Gender Bender Medicine, 1 Aug 2013
L. B. Lux "toothlight" (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atom & Eve (Paperback)
Atom and Eve
Having read 'ARIA Left Luggage, by Geoff Nelder, a story concerning an amnesia causing virus from outer space, I was pleased to receive a review copy, knowing it also concerned effects on humans,though in this case,a drug. The concept that a drug being produced for one problem,is found to combat a new form of flu, is one thing. But too then suggest a catastrophic effect on sexuality of men and women due to something 'added' by the scientist, is SciFi at its weirdest! The mistakes are, sadly, everywhere. For example, I cannot see the US Food & Drug administration allowing this untested drug to be used on a massive scale, when the side effects would have been revealed. I also have problems with poor editing, of which there are many examples, such as scenes 'telling' and not 'showing.' Simple mistakes such as: 'Sam WALKED out of the Donut (US spelling?)Shoppe and WALKED...' should have been spotted by the editor, and how about this for a howler: 'The bullet went into Dickinson's head. His BODY dropped to the ground with all signs of life leaving his BODY.' Apart from the double use of 'body' would there be ANY signs of life with a bullet in your brains? It is poor editing that gets scathing critiques and spoils what might be a good story.
Unlike Geoff Nelder, who extensively researched his facts, and acknowledged the authors in his book, I believe this story suffers from a lack of detailed research, which makes the whole concept unbelievable.A pity, because Jeff Yager does have writing talent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic plot could do with more tweaking of it though, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Atom and Eve (Kindle Edition)
MY REVIEW
I received an e-copy of Atom & Eve by Jeff Yager from Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.
The cover features two faces, one I would say is probably Ricky Romanello, and the other could be Dr Mandy Fox who invents the flu vaccine that should fix a problem flu, that really ends up causing many more problems. Also, the Atom drawing I'd presume, is a drawing of the medical format of the atom that forms the drug maybe.
I like the cover it is colourful and would attract my attention to it, so I'd say it's doing it's job well. The title is short and catchy, I get the "Atom" part is the reference to the vaccine but I'm not so sure where the "Eve" part is from.
So do I like the cover? Yes I'd pick it up from a bookstore shelf.
So now to the book, Mmm what can I say? The basic plot is that a young man called Ricky gets a new strain of flu. The flu is spreading on a pandemic level and scientists are desperately working to find a vaccine/cure. Dr Mandy Fox is a chemist who has a drug that should cure the flu but unbeknownst to her colleagues she tweaks the medication herself. The drug is tried on a friend of one of the other "scientist/chemists" and it works, the government allow it to be trialed on another ten people whom it cures. Even though the drug is relatively new it is given out to all who have the flu with disastrous consequences. There are side effects that become apparent where women start behaving more aggressively and "male dominant" and the males who have the vaccine seem to develop their "softer" side and want to follow a more feminine role in life. The book then features other characters and how the drug has and is affecting their lives.
The concept of the story is quite good and I liked the main plot line of that, with the mystery of the drug and it's potential side effects. I just felt that when the other characters were brought in to tell their stories they didn't feel cohesive it felt like a group of short stories about the characters collected together. The book could do with a little tweaking and tightening up a little. I think the book is aimed at the adult genre as though it does not go into gruesome detail but gang fighting and rape are both featured more than once in the book.
So did I enjoy the book? Being totally honest, I did enjoy some parts, the discovering the drug etc. But on the other hand I didn't enjoy the violence depicted in it. That's more of a personal taste issue. Probably a male reader would be more suited to this book. Would I recommend the book? Perhaps to an older male reader as I think due to the gang violence it may put off the female reader. Would I read a BK#2? Probably not. Would I read other titles by this Author? I would take a look at the blurb on the individual title before deciding.

Atom & Eve
Atom & Eve by Jeff Yager (Paperback - 1 Jun 2013)