Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 November 2012
I downloaded this guide direct from the Publisher's website as, at the time of writing, it's out of stock on both the UK and USA versions of Amazon. I paid just under £8 for the pdf file which i've downloaded to both my main PC and my android tablet. The latter gave me the option to open the document either as a pdf (with linked bookmarks and a few bells & whistles) or as a kindle document. You can also download a sample of the guide for free.

Anyway, the guide is very well written and as in depth as you want it to be. Any owner of the DSC-RX100 is unlikely to just want a point and shoot digital camera as there are far cheaper alternatives out there for that market. The camera caters for P&S but also has a wide variety of modes and pre-programmed settings but also excels in letting the owner programme their own settings for their own compositions.

The initial chapters detail setting the camera up, batteries and good advice on memory cards. There was also a set of suggested default settings for the main "Intelligent Auto" mode that I really appreciated. The next chapter deals with the more basic settings before exploring other modes such as the panoramic shot, scene selection (there's a set of presets for events such as fireworks, night portaits) before the later chapters delve much deeper into the programmes and settings for the enthusiast. There's a section on accessories too which is always appreciated.

I found the author's style to be very good indeed. He's knowledgeable but the book is written in an easy to understand way and he explains why certain settings will be desirable in any given scenario. The book has a lot of colour images throughout which really come into their own when he delves into some of the colour presets and you can see the same scene and what each setting changes to the palette and effect -really good touch.

In summary, this is probably the first accessory you should buy with your camera (assuming you already added a memory card to your basket). The included documentation from Sony was woeful bordering on insulting and I would think anyone would benefit from learning more about how the camera works and how to get the most from it. This is an excellent guide and it comes highly recommended. Thank you.
on 22 April 2013
This really is a must-have guide to accompany the RX100.

Although print and paper quality are not of the highest standard, the book is written in a plain, straightforward manner and will appeal to beginners and more advanced users alike. The author offers his own opinions, with various options and settings being suggested throughout. It is certainly a most comprehensive user-guide.
on 19 February 2013
The supplied manual was very poor so I decided to download this guide to my iPad. Covers everything in great detail with a good use of pictures to illustrate. I would recommend this to other Rx 100 users
on 9 January 2016
Just what I needed. I wasn't looking for a book telling me how to take photos, I needed something to tell me how to use this particular camera, seeing as the Sony manual is useless. This provided all the information I needed and was comprehensive enough, and clearly explained, without being either too dumbed down or overly complex.

The only criticism I might have is that I did find the order in which the various controls were tackled less than ideal. I found myself having to skip forward to get all the information on a particular feature before returning to continue where I had left off. It seemed a bit odd to deal with all the shooting modes - often requiring menu choices - and then deal in more detail with menu choices further on in the book. However, with the Kindle edition the hyperlinking allowed you to jump forward easily.

All in all, for the Kindle price this was a bargain and several hours later I feel I fully understand my new camera. I will undoubtedly use this book again and again for reference. Recommended.
on 17 July 2013
Great reference book
Good for beginners and experts alike
Highly recommended
Very good value for money well illustrated and clearly explained
on 22 March 2013
This is an excellent book, which enable those who want to take the RX100 beyond the point and shoot mode to do so. The language is clear and aim at everyone beyond beginners to get full value from this great little camera.

Ideally you would want to take one chapter at a time, with your camera to hand, and read and try, if you have a basic understanding of the normal photography terms such at Av, Tv , ISO etc you will learn a great deal about how to use these function to get the very best out of the RX100.

In short worth every penny and when I go out with my camera this book goes with me.
on 1 July 2013
Brilliant!! This is the Manual that should have been delivered with the camera. Tells it as it is in simple concise English and helps you get the best out of this great camera.
on 21 August 2014
The mini guide supplied with the camera was not easy to follow. The full online Sony manual was not easy to dip into, whereas, this Guide is comprehensive and written from a first time users point of view. How to access and use the many advanced camera features were far more easily understood, than trying to refer to "free" information.
on 17 June 2013
Manual that came with this camera is so poor...this is a must if you have this camera. Very Good Book
on 23 May 2013
This guide could not be clearer and is based on a thorough understanding of the camera's functionality. It could, perhaps, be shorter, but the writer decides to make no assumption of knowledge and so goes into all detail. Worth the money - very good.