Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 2013
I love the Happy Herbivore cookbooks and Lindsay Nixon's recipes have become family favourites. They are tasty and quick to prepare, and unlike many American vegan cookbooks the ingredients are easy to find if you have a large supermarket and well-stocked health food store nearby. (The only exception might be white whole wheat flour, called for in a few of the baking recipes, but you can substitute wholemeal plain flour with very good results.)

I've had this cookbook just a few days and the recipes we've tried so far have all been delicious:

Pumpkin Pancakes - a hit even with my 10 year old who doesn't think she likes pumpkin
Tofu Scramble - my husband doesn't really like tofu but he loves this!
Chocolate Chip Muffins - easy and very scrummy
Taco Burgers - delicious! If you can't find taco seasoning, use some chilli powder blend instead
Italian Bowl - easy, tasty and filling
Thai Green Curry - fast, healthy and delicious

I have been following a plant-based, whole foods vegan diet like the one Lindsay advocates for almost two years and in that time I have lost a stone and a half effortlessly and kept it off, reversed some minor health conditions and feel more energetic than ever. I'm not sure if I would have been able to do this without the Happy Herbivore cookbooks. Although I have other similar cookbooks and have found many no-oil vegan recipes online, the recipes have not been as reliable and delicious as Lindsay's. I'm sure this book is going to be very well used in our house!
on 16 April 2014
This book is brilliant, although it is American so I sent away for some American cup sizers to do the recipes correctly. I like the way it gives you recipes for one portion and you clearly see what the calories are for each recipe which really helps. It is not too preachy making you feel that you should not enjoy food, it just gives lots of nice healthy nutritious recipes that are easy to make and healthy but also helps you keep an eye on your daily calories.
on 28 August 2015
Some geat recipes in this book. I like the way that the recipes are arranged by calories, this makes it ideal if you are following the 5:2 diet. The only problems can be that the author is American, and some of the ingredients can be difficult to source in the UK. Overall, I like the book and would recommend it.
on 26 March 2015
Love the Happy Herbivore books. This one - like the others - is clear, easy to follow, great photos, no nonsense approach to good, healthy, yummy food. I have not really used the fitness bit of the book, been concentrating more on the recipes : )
on 7 May 2016
I like the lay out of this book, well organised and easy to follow. I just wish she had included gas and celsius cooking temperatures for the UK market
on 10 May 2016
Not big on detail and some samey recipes and ingredients but an interesting read.
on 8 February 2014
I love Lindsay S Nixon and her easy and healthy recipes, they are helping me lose weight in a healthy and cost effective way. I have also learned a lot from her meal plans on her website that give you great ideas how to combine meals with no food waste. All in all highly recommended.
on 2 April 2014
I have lots of recipe books and although I haven't done any recipes from this book yet, I can see that they are all very simple, nicely presented and well-explained. There are full-page illustrations of every recipe, nutritional information per serving, and suggestions for substitutions and alternatives. I look forward to trying some of the recipes.
on 2 July 2014
My first purchase from the Happy Herbivore collection and I'm not disappointed. Great recipes that can be enjoyed by all the family.
on 4 February 2014
Great book on vegan cooking which uses low fat recipes! Would definitely recommend for vegans, vegetarians and anyone wishing to reduce their intake of meat and fat!