5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the X-Pro1 user
This book complements and further develops the manual, providing tips and advice from Rico's extensive trialling of the camera during 2012. It is extremely well written, laid out in a progressive and logical order, and would be suitable for the beginner through to the more advanced user.
I don't find it too technical at all - indeed I think it strikes the right...
Published 23 months ago by Barry Fairclough

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless
Just an extended users manual - virtually no information on converting the unique RAW files produced by this camera so the book is useless to the more advanced photographer. Save your money.
Published 3 months ago by roger ashford

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the X-Pro1 user, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 (Paperback)
I don't find it too technical at all - indeed I think it strikes the right balance. If I wanted to state a minor criticism it would be to the effect that the camera and its associated lenses have had their firmware updated since the book was published ( Fuji are about to release a further update very shortly to coincide with the release of the 14mm lens) BUT you have to accept that in this day and age all digital cameras are likely to require firmware updates periodically - that cannot be avoided.
Would I recommend it to other X-Pro1 users? 100% yes. What are you waiting for? Place the order now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described and a real help, 12 Feb 2013
Having purchased the Fujifilm X-E1 as a travel camera over the Nikon D700 I own. I found the book very useful, as the handbook supplied by Fuji was to say the least very basic. Fuji X series cameras are not really for the novice as they handle like cameras of old with no real 'Auto', which is great as it makes you have to thinkand the book helps to explain little quirks, such as if you go into 'Silent Mode' you turn off the flash. - I dont agree with everything the author says, but we all have our own theories and ways to work, but I do highly recommend the book and believe Fuji should send it out with every camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book around on the X-Pro 1 camera., 10 Mar 2013
If you have purchased or are considering buying the X-Pro 1 then this book is a must. Like many manufacturers, Fuji have provided a good level of information in the handbook but it fails to explain the best shooting styles and settings etc. This book is extremely well written, its easy to follow and it will help you stop using your £1000 purchase as a 'point and shoot' camera and instead reap the benefits of this very cool camera. Its even better value as a digital download so go get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful addition to the manual, 6 Feb 2013
I've owned the X-Pro 1 since May 12 and by experimenting have achieved some excellent results using only the Manual for guidance.
However, this book greatly improved my insight into all the camera's functions and consequently I have changed some of the camera's default settings after reading this book.
I bought the Kindle version so I can refer to it on my iphone which I carry at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - a very useful book, 13 Feb 2013
I'm not a professional photographer - I bought the X-Pro 1 because it offers very good image quality in a smaller, lighter package than an equivalently specified SLR. For someone like me this book is very useful indeed. It is well organized and there is plenty of background to allow the reader to understand the technical issues around topics like exposure or dynamic range before the specifics of using the X-Pro 1 are discussed. As the author says, the book doesn't aim to replicate the information in the camera's manual but rather explains how to use the functionality to achieve particular results (but since he also does an excellent job of explaining the basic functions you get a sort of superior user manual as part of the deal). So, for example, there is a concise 6 step guide to using the exposure compensation function in conjunction with AE bracketing to create 7 levels of exposure as a basis for HDR processing. You could work this out for yourself but speaking personally, I probably wouldn't have got there for a long time. The book is written clearly and there are numerous boxes that highlight useful tips and hints. There are also plenty of images to illustrate the effects of the techniques that are discussed. It's a thorough, detailed, thoughtful and readable guide which I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be distributed with every X-Pro 1, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 (Paperback)
This a fantastic book for Fujifilm X-Pro 1 users. It starts with the basics, giving you a good overview of the X-Pro 1 and some useful default settings for your camera. Further chapters cover things like exposure, focussing, ISO settings, flash photography, continuous shooting and more.

The author illustrates the camera's features nicely with example photographs and it's a well-written book. The book assumes a cursory knowledge of things like F-stops and the basic principles of photography, but even an absolute beginner will be fine if they have an internet connection to look up unfamiliar terms.

Fuji should buy the rights to this book and distribute it with every X-Pro 1 as the handbook that comes to the camera is pretty basic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful handbook for XE-1 and X-Pro camera users I will ..., 12 Nov 2014
A very useful handbook for XE-1 and X-Pro camera users

I will introduce myself as an amateur photographer who has recently retired but having an interest in photography since childhood. I bought my first digital camera, after about 10 years’ deliberation, only 18 months ago. The camera was a Fujifilm XE-1 which has lived up to my expectations and having, of course, the same quirks as I had previously read on various web pages.

The official Fujifilm guide booklet (which I think is a very scrappy affair), covers no more than the main essentials and although the camera’s software functions are mentioned in the booklet, there are many function descriptions left with a woeful lack of explanation. For about a year I was wondering if a photographer had written a serious user guide for the camera. I was therefore delighted when I came across a reference to this book, and ordered a copy from Amazon. The book has proved to be an absolute gem. It is so good that in my opinion Fujifilm should be supplying every buyer of XE-1 and X-Pro cameras with a gratis copy of Rico Pfirstinger’s book. From such action a win-win situation would result.

If there was ever an example of a book with a well thought-out structure and layout written in clear and concise English, this is it.
Not only are there clear explanations of the many functions of the camera, but also many readers’ questions are answered and there are also many clear text boxes containing useful tips, summaries and important notes.

There are three other merits of the book – adequate space has been given to both text and the many example photographs, it is printed on good quality paper and last, but not least, it is very reasonably priced.

As the author says, the book is not meant to cover everything, but rather fill in missing background information along with practical tips and experience. This he does with admirable professionalism.

I have no hesitation in giving the book maximum points.

Nick Edwards
November 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide Great price on Kindle, 7 Feb 2014
Setter man (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A very informative and well-illustrated guide. The Kindle version is also much cheaper than the paper version. The fact that it is available via Kindle also means I can have it with me on my phone (as well as my laptop etc.) so I can consult it when out using the camera if necessary, as well as a more normal 'book' when at home. I wish more guides were available in the Kindle format - how about it Amazon?

4.0 out of 5 stars a good back up to manual, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 (Paperback)
I found the book a good back up to the official manual with plenty of tips, especialy on the HD settings and explaining some of the film simulations especial the colour neg film would recommend the book to itermediat photographers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterly Work!, 5 Sep 2013
Josme (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very detailed approach.
Discusses settings/shooting menus.
Practical advice especially for RAW shooters.
I don't have this camera ( I have a Fuji X-E1 ) nevertheless
most of this book is applicable to my camera.
Eagerly waiting for the Kindle version for my camera.
Thoroughly recommend this book

Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro 1
Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 by Rico Pfirstinger (Paperback - 24 Jan 2013)