5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing emotional read
Published on 16 Jun. 2011 by M. K. Burton

Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear what a pity. An excellent basic plot premise poorly executed, 8 May 2014
The basic idea of a male bully finally growing up and regretting his past mistreatment of a woman he is actually secretly attracted to sounds good in principle, but in application the author fails badly. In all fairness I thought the story started off reasonably well, but sadly after initially being well written and interesting it started to follow a somewhat silly plot line.
The "tie me up so you see how bad I feel about bullying you" scene is just ridiculous.
The heroine having a wardrobe malfunction, then having not only a massive reversal of opinion in relation to forgiving the repentant hero, but rushing to have sex with him also rings false.
After ten years of suffering because of his and his fellow bullies actions she gets horizontal with him when he makes a few overtures begging her forgiveness? Really, is anyone that trusting? How can she be certain at that point that he and his cronies aren't planning a parting shot? Surely she would remain cautious for some time before she starts trusting him? And what woman who has guarded her virtue for so long casts it at the feet of a man who has been so cruel to her in the past?
The language is wrong for the period, there are quite a few Americanisms. It's a short, but not sweet or clean tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing emotional read, 16 Jun. 2011
M. K. Burton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Lady Elaine Warren began her first season full of excitement and verve, ready to have her chance at the world. But slowly, she began to fade away and turned into a wallflower of the highest order. The culprit? Evan Carlton, the Earl of Westfield, made Elaine his target. With his insecure cousin in tow, Evan made Elaine's life miserable, until she lost all chance of finding a well-placed husband. But in reality, Evan has always liked Elaine, and his mocking of her was simply an immature reaction to an attraction he didn't know what to do with. Returned from the Continent, and several life-changing experiences, Evan longs to show Elaine just how stupid he was and see if he can have a chance at winning the woman he loves most of all, even if she wants nothing to do with him.

This little novella by Courtney Milan has received rave reviews pretty much everywhere. I'm not going to lie, I was absolutely thrilled when I discovered I could buy it for 86p on my Kindle, even though I'm in the UK. I downloaded it and read it within two days. It's a short novella, equivalent to about 100 pages in print, so it's best read straight in an evening (preferably alone, and with tissues if you're anything like me).

Anyway, despite the reviews, I was genuinely surprised at how well this worked. I often have trouble buying into short romances, because it's hard to believe they'd fall in love so fast, but this one just clicked with me instantly. The back story comes thick and fast, so we're prepared for the characters' reactions immediately. Plus, they tap right into that stereotype of the popular teenager longing for the wallflower, turning around and falling in love with her, then grovelling in order to win her heart back. I'm sure we'd all wish to avoid the torment that is actually inflicted on poor Elaine, but watching Evan try impossibly hard to win her back is gorgeous reading for someone who loves romance.

Plus, if you've ever been made fun of, even if not to such a degree, it's impossible not to empathise with Elaine. Who wouldn't want their former tormentor to turn around, beg forgiveness, and proceed to do everything in his power to make things perfect? At the same time, how hard would it be to trust that person not to turn around and make it all a living hell once again? It's all so well done and so true to real life emotions. I'd never really Courtney Milan before, but trust me, this will not be the last time I do so, and I will be purchasing her backlist the minute I allow myself to buy books again.

If you're a romance reader, you simply must give this novella a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Read, 1 Jun. 2011
Loves Reading - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a short but perfectly formed story. Once I started I didn't want to stop and resented every interruption. Deeply emotional, the theme of bullying is handled well and the ending is believable and satisfying. Keep a hanky handy! In my opinion, this is Ms Milan's best story yet. Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Downloaded based on reviews, 25 July 2013
Mrs K B (South East England) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this based on the favourable reviews but it wasn't to my taste. Not a well written regency book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sweet, 22 July 2011
I bought this short story for my Kindle for a holiday trip and reread it 3 times while away. I throughly enjoyed this story and was surprised by how much, there were even a few tears!

I tend to read regency novels as an escapism. I love them, my secret guilty pleasure so I have read a fair few.
Whoever picks this book will know what to expect from a romance book such as this but it's the journey to the end that we want to be suprised with. And what a journey.

The development of the Hero & Heroine's relationship is believable and so very sweet. the reader feels Lady Elaine Warren pain and just as your allegiance is to the Heroine, you read about Evan and feel his pain too.

The book reminds me of those Hollywood romance films filled with angst and unrequited loves. Ones with the over - top -declaration, you know the ones with Sandra Bullock in.

I would have liked to have read more about their relationship, but alas as a short novel it will have to do. I have given this 4 purely because their relationship felt a little rushed in developing but this was more due to short story format.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good light read, 25 Aug. 2012
I liked this story. The characters are very real and likeable. The heroine had been bullied by her peers for years and the author really demonstrates how that affects victims. Its set in history but the issues raised very much relate to bullying today. To follow Elaines journey and watch her blossom as her confidence grows is very touching.
It's a good light read , well written , enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 14 Aug. 2012
I downloaded this novella because it was free (I'm shallow like that) but I really enjoyed it. It tackles the subject of bullying - more usually found in contemporary YA novels. As a teenager the hero made the heroine's life a misery. Now he's returned, ten years later, to discover he's ruined her life. It has humour, romance and a few steamy scenes. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 30 July 2012
I was expecting a normal, frivolous Regency romance but this really surprised me and actually made me cry. The torment of the daughter and oblivious mother is described well, the contrite hero trying to make up for his earlier actions. I'll be purchasing more of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy read, 12 Feb. 2013
Although a novella and therefore short the characters are well formed and you quickly get involved in their story .You even felt sorry for the nasty Lady Cosgrove ! Only four stars because I found the climbing lectures just that ! A bit too detailed for a short story

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick easy romance read, 12 Feb. 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It is a Mills and Boone type romance. Nothing complicated and an easy quick read. It will probably warm the hearts of romance genre fans. The moral of the story is an honourable one, the handsome Earl regrets his nasty bullying of an innocent young woman 10 years ago. He seeks forgiveness and a perhaps a tad more. If you add on a spiteful female as a villian in the whole scenario then you are good to go. Personally I would have rather seen the main character make them pay dearly and torture them till they screamed mercy for treating her like pond scum. Sigh, you don't always get what you want in life or in books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Unlocked (The Turner Brothers)
Unlocked (The Turner Brothers) by Courtney Milan (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2013)