5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Primer for Kids, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Beginning Microsoft Small Basic (Paperback)
The opportunity for children to learn to program in the way that was possible back in the good old days of MS-DOS has been restricted for some time and this book allows them to take advantage of the recent (free) initiative from Microsoft.
It takes the reader through the elements with lots of examples that strike a chord with younger readers. There is also a version of Turtle, which will be many children's first contact with programming at school.
Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Guide to Small Basic, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Beginning Microsoft Small Basic (Paperback)
'Beginning Microsoft Small Basic' is a 400 page tutorial that explains and teaches how Small Basic works. Small Basic is a Program Language similar to Basic, QBasic and Visual Basic but seems to be a fully working but cut down version of Visual Basic. I have previously used Basic but my version of Basic does not run on Windows 7. Small Basic does run on Windows 7 but its syntax is different so this Guide is almost essential for those who are not experienced programmers or those who are starting with no knwledge.
The Guide is written in an easy to read mode and is broken down into logical parts of programming using Small Basic with easy to follow hands on tutorials throughout.
I found this an excellent book. There is an online (free download) Small Basic Beginner's Guide, this book which is more comprehensive and there is The Developer's Reference Guide to Microsoft Small Basic. I am only one month down the learning curve not having written a program in Basic (or anything else) for 30 years. I find I need to jump between the Beginner's Guide, this book and the Developer's Reference for the information I need but that is me trying to run before I can walk.
The part of Small Basic that took me by surprise is that it copes with a Graphics Screen and can use the mouse as required.
I have nothing but praise for this 'Beginning Small Basic' as a tutorial and as a reference manual. However, it would benefit from an Index at the back of the book to look up all page numbers for a specific feature. It is the lack of the Index that caused me to give only 4 stars instead of 5. If you want to learn to Program or learn how to create using Small Basic, then this book is a super starting point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why no CD with book?, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Beginning Microsoft Small Basic (Paperback)
I think from looking at this book that it would merit the full 5 stars, but for the fact that the publishers of the book have not seen fit to include, with EVERY book, a copy of the CD which is part of the course that the book provides. Instead you have to DOWNLOAD a copy if you buy - as you probably have to - from a third party. I sometimes tend to skip the first, introductory, parts of a book and nearly missed seeing the URL. I appreciate that there is a need for security to protect the programs provided for course work - BUT there is a certain amount of work entering details to confirm that you are a valid purchaser. Personal details are included, which I do not like to give over the web unless necessary. After providing those details you then have to wait until the publishers double check your information. The book is very expensive and I simply cannot understand why a CD could not have been included automatically, as is done for direct purchasers. It makes you feel like a second class citizen! I do not know how long I will have to wait for an email with a download link but the process is certainly not carried out by immediate or near-immediate return. I have therefore taken one star off - and I did have some difficulty in deciding between that and two stars!

I read the small guide provided with the program by Microsoft and although it is useful you really need more information - as in this book - if you want to use the program for the kind of thing I was used to using Q-Basic for, before the arrival of Windows 7 stopped any further work on that!

Beginning Microsoft Small Basic
Beginning Microsoft Small Basic by Lou Tylee (Paperback - 1 July 2010)