If you've never read Joe Haldeman before then his "Carmen Dula" trilogy is an excellent introduction. It's about first contact with extra-terrestrial intelligence. Read them in order for maximum effect (Marsbound, Starbound, Earthbound)
Published 7 months ago by Mark Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Shortchanged.
Published 12 months ago by Bootho

5.0 out of 5 stars The World's greatest living writer of "real" sf completes a superb trilogy., 3 May 2014
This review is from: Earthbound (Marsbound) (Mass Market Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Shortchanged., 13 Dec 2013
Bootho (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I really like Joe Haldeman and, almost without exception, I have really enjoyed his previous novels but this is the first one that has left me with a sense of regret at spending my money. It really did feel that the author's heart wasn't in this and that this was written purely to meet a contractual obligation. Other reviewers have commented on the rapid descent into anarchy and the rather abrupt and, I would suggest, lazy ending amongst other flaws so I don't feel the need to detail them again. One for the completists only. I suppose every author may be allowed one duff effort but I really hope Mr Haldeman gets back to form with the upcoming "Work Done for Hire."

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 July 2014
As usual from Haldeman; Magic!

Earthbound (Marsbound)
Earthbound (Marsbound) by Joe Haldeman (Mass Market Paperback - 24 Dec 2012)