5.0 out of 5 stars Ilona Andrews can't write a bad book!
I adore - ADORE - the Kate Daniels series, but I'll admit I was a little worried about it losing it's spark now that our heroine and hero are all loved up. There was nothing to worry about, the book is fantastic. I devoured it in a day and it was so emotionally draining that I was left exhausted by the end.

***** beware spoilers ahead *****

The...
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but not a great one
I really fear for this series as I can it slowly degenerate from a kick-ass urban fantasy to a romantic fantasy, of which there is enough out there already. I loved books 1-3 for their lack of relationship drama with a great storyline that was believable and a good, strong cast of characters. There is a lot of emotional drama in this book, mostly involving Kate & Curran...
Published 18 months ago by Flowerscat

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASSIVE story packed into a normal sized book (Kate Daniels Series Book 6), 2 Aug. 2013
I am a huge fan of Ilona Andrews and by some miracle, was offered an eARC of Magic Rises (book 6 of the Kate Daniels series). Urban Fantasy at its best. I couldn't put it down! I yelled OMG and Holy Cow so many times that my landlady called me at 1:14am to find out what was going on☺ I felt every emotion except boredom. I'm so very glad the book was released so I can finally have someone with whom I can discuss this amazing story. If you haven't read the previous five books, I recommend that you do so in order to fully enjoy the experience. To fellow Kate Daniels series fans, you are in for a heck-of-a story!! May I suggest the following preparations?

1. Plan on not being able to put the book down. So get a babysitter / get a dog walker / have a sick-day excuse handy for work
2. Have your favorite comfort foods/beverages handy. I recommend Jalapeno flavored chocolates (to experience the bite of magic) and a good wine☺
3. Wear something comfortable
4. Have a box of tissues handy for all the reasons a person may feel the need to shed tears.
5. A punching bag to help work off some the adrenalin rush
6. Turn off your mobile phone
7. ***Read the extra story at the back of the book first ("An Ill-Advised Rescue"). When you're finished, take a deep breath and brace yourself for an intense & thrilling story!

Magic Rises is a MASSIVE story packed inside a normal-sized book. I don't know how the authors managed to accomplish such a feat. It is filled with intense, gripping drama, heart-pounding excitement and takes you on the emotional ride of your life. This book drops Kate into the proverbial Frying Pan before the Fire of her eventual fight with Roland.

The story opens with a devastating situation concerning twin sister shape-shifter children, one of whom is well known to Kate Daniels. They went Loup, meaning that their bodies are overwhelmed with the Lyc-V virus and they are a danger to all. It is a heart-breaking situation because Loup children must be destroyed if they are not treated with a hard-to-come-by medicine they call Panacea. Curran, the Lord of Shape-Shifters knows where to obtain Panacea but it requires performing a highly unpleasant & dangerous service for a European Pack. At the successful completion of the service, the European Pack would provide a certain quantity of the medicine as payment. Curran, Kate and several other Pack members must make a dangerous sea voyage to Europe to face certain danger, miserable politics and a possible ambush.

Some of my favorite things:
* While there is considerably less humor than the previous books in this series, we are treated to one of the funniest scenes ever. All I dare say is "Did you ever wonder what could embarrass a Bouda? Hehee!!!!
* Saimon has a wonderful moment.
* Awesome fight scenes.
* Yummy love scenes.
* New beasties and treacherous enemies.
* Lots of questions finally answered.
* I loved the ending of this story!!
* I did not need caffeine for two days after reading this book so I saved money on coffee ☺

What I did not like: That I would have to wait for the next book, Magic Breaks (Book 7) to be released.

Books in this series: Magic Bites (Book 1), Magic Burns (Book 2), Magic Strikes (Book 3), Magic Bleeds (Book 4), Magic Slays (Book 5), Magic Rises (Book 6), and in between there are Novellas, and an awesome spin-off book (Gunmetal Magic) featuring Andrea Nash and Curran POV's. (See author's website for complete list)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book,good series., 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
very good,big series think we are up to book 7 now?really enjoyed them and be good intro to reading P.Briggs in future if u wish.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I Can't recommend this series enough, it just keeps getting better and better. I Cant wait for the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it can't wait for more, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
loved it can't wait for more - real enjoy the strength of the love between Kate and Curran - waiting for the audio

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 18 Dec. 2014
Love this series! Awesome book, love Kate and curran together such a power couple. Just want to keep reading them

5.0 out of 5 stars Yu Gotta Luv This, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read all of her other books I decided to give this one a try, I read the first chapter and I was stuck, I didn't put the book down, it went everywhere with me. Curran and Kate are at it again, trying to work out their problems they are met with the most serious problem of shifter life, children turning loup when their hormones start overload at puberty, only they just don't get the usualload of crap they also get overloads of the Lic-V virus which in big enough numbers can turn them loup, there is no going back then, they cannot come back to humanity and they cannot be left as they would kill anyone they came into contact with.
With this hanging over their heads they are alarmed when the European packs want them to arbitrate a dispute between them, being taken as a fool once before by these people ,he doesn't want to help but the payment is beyond price... The thing is can they be trusted and keep to the deal?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Sept. 2014
Fantastic!! Can't wait for the next two books. I wasn't expecting the ending but what a cracker

5.0 out of 5 stars another fantastic book, 28 Nov. 2014
This book is as good as the rest of the series. I fully recommend it to any sci fi readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 3 Aug. 2013
Omg!i waited over a year for this book,I missed the humour and one liners,but still loved it.
When is book 7 out?
I love Kate,curran needs a hard kick but I still love him,sad at times and a different feel to this book more darker,I hope there is a wee novelette
Comes out in between this and book 7 to lighten up the characters.
The final conflict between father and daughter will be epic!

Kate rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fantastic, 1 Aug. 2013
Once I read the first in the Kate Daniels series, I was hooked! Since then I've been practically salivating waiting for each new release. I can't believe it's been a whole 2 years since Magic Slays! Too long Ilona! Much too long!

Magic Rises starts with Kate and Curran watching loupism strike two kids of the Pack. They are told panacea, the only known cure that comes from Europe, will be made available to the Atlanta Pack, if they make the hazardous journey across the Atlantic to guard a pregnant shapeshifter caught in the middle of a power struggle. They know they are walking into a potentially explosive situation, but the extent of the threat only really begins to reveal itself once they arrive.

Kate and Curran must face some of their deadliest enemies. Can their relationship survive it? Can Kate hold off skewering those who threaten her love and her life, or will she have to sacrifice everything so The Atlanta Pack teenagers can have the panacea?

It's a roller-coaster ride. Ilona Andrews (by which I mean the wife and husband team both) give their readers a real adventure, the fantasy elements are so well grounded in the action, with the gritty descriptions so it doesn't require any suspension of disbelief. When they say there are magic waves, you believe them.

If you are new to the series, stop and pick up Magic Bites. Read the series in order. You'll love it. And you'll love Magic Rises!

Promise.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) by Ilona Andrews (Mass Market Paperback - 30 July 2013)