5.0 out of 5 stars Ilona Andrews can't write a bad book!
I adore - ADORE - the Kate Daniels series, but I'll admit I was a little worried about it losing it's spark now that our heroine and hero are all loved up. There was nothing to worry about, the book is fantastic. I devoured it in a day and it was so emotionally draining that I was left exhausted by the end.

***** beware spoilers ahead *****

The...
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but not a great one
I really fear for this series as I can it slowly degenerate from a kick-ass urban fantasy to a romantic fantasy, of which there is enough out there already. I loved books 1-3 for their lack of relationship drama with a great storyline that was believable and a good, strong cast of characters. There is a lot of emotional drama in this book, mostly involving Kate & Curran...
Published 10 months ago by Flowerscat

5.0 out of 5 stars Ilona Andrews can't write a bad book!, 30 July 2013

***** beware spoilers ahead *****

The book is set away from Atlanta for a change, so not every regular character has a big part and we are also introduced to new characters, but the synopsis probably gives a better outline than I can.

Kate and Curran's relationship is believably put under strain (a difficult manouver for the authors to pull off convincingly) and not only did I believe it as a reader, I FELT it. Warning bells went off in my head before they did in Kate's and I shared the feelings of disbelief, loss and humiliation. As a reader they took me from a place of being 100% confident in a Kate/Curran HEA and turned that belief on it's head - not an easy task! I love Curran, but there were times in this book I could have cheerfully strangled him... Luckily it's impossible to stay angry with the Beast Lord.

The story arc is drawing to a close and so it's no great surprise that we meet Hugh again... but how we meet him is ;) Some VERY interesting developments on this front and there were times he absolutely stole the show. The big bad is looming on the horizon and we really start to appreciate how momentous Kate's task is. She felt very human in this book.

Last but not least, there was the unexpected death of a much beloved character - I'll admit it, I cried. Like I said at the start of my review, emotionally draining stuff. Take the day off to read Magic Rises, because once you start you wont be able to put it down and if you're new to the series don't start here because you have missed soooooo much character development, start with Magic Bites: A Kate Daniels Novel: 1 and enjoy the ride!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series continues, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
It is important to note that these books are written for a specific audience. I am fairly confident 40+ year old single males are not what the publishers, or probably the authors, are aiming for. As such please take this review in that context.

I have loved the Kate Daniels series since the first book and my addiction has grown with every passing novel and short story.

I do love urban fantasy but I tend to dislike most paranormal romance novels that focus on romance or sex instead of the story.

For the first time in the series it felt like I was reading a paranormal romance rather than an urban fantasy action novel. I sensed the relationship between Kate and Curran was the main focus. In the previous novels their relationship has grown and developed in spite of the story, either comically or epically. I am hoping for a return to violence and less angst in the next in the series. Whilst this is not my favourite in the series it is still very good and a worthy continuation. There is also now a real feeling that Kate and Curran have passed the point of no return and a confrontation with her father is now inevitable. There is still plenty of action and there are several action segments that were simply fantastic plus there is a great reference to David Eddings to watch for.

Overall, if you have read the others in the series you are already, like me, addicted. This is still my favourite series and Kate is still my favourite heroine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yu Gotta Luv This, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read all of her other books I decided to give this one a try, I read the first chapter and I was stuck, I didn't put the book down, it went everywhere with me. Curran and Kate are at it again, trying to work out their problems they are met with the most serious problem of shifter life, children turning loup when their hormones start overload at puberty, only they just don't get the usualload of crap they also get overloads of the Lic-V virus which in big enough numbers can turn them loup, there is no going back then, they cannot come back to humanity and they cannot be left as they would kill anyone they came into contact with.
With this hanging over their heads they are alarmed when the European packs want them to arbitrate a dispute between them, being taken as a fool once before by these people ,he doesn't want to help but the payment is beyond price... The thing is can they be trusted and keep to the deal?

5.0 out of 5 stars A great continuation of the Kate Daniels series, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
The star rating is within the context of an Urban Fantasy series. If you are looking at this having never met Kate Daniels, stop and look up book 1 in the series (and note the series takes a couple of books to warm up).

If you are wondering whether to continue, don't hesitate. Ilona Andrews manages to keep the Kate and Curran dynamic lively despite them being an item. Unlike some other reviewers, I do think the story takes primary place in the novel, with developments in the mythology, the setting (Europe) and overall the story arc. Whilst the relationships are well illustrated, they don't overpower the narrative, (I speak as someone irritated by the PR genre.) High action and fight scenes are there aplenty and I liked the unfamiliar setting filled with my favourite characters and nasty surprises (a little reminiscent of The Castle of Otranto).

There is a nice balance between tension and humour and there is a sense that although the world is established in great detail, the style is self aware and doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm still not sure what to make of the new magical duo-the resolution was a little too neat for my liking and I would like a little more grey in my characters; GRR Marten this is not. However, it kept me engaged, entertained and made me laugh loudly throughout the novel. I will certainly be waiting for the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic!, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
They only thing that I would like to write in this review is that this book was epic. After having read almost every urban fantasy series there is I can safely say that Kate Dianiels is one of the best-if not the best one out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing - deserves more stars, 3 Oct 2013
A. REYNOLDS - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would. The book is incredible, the story line pulls you in from the start, the characters are well written and thought out, and it's one of the few books that's written by two authors that I've read that doesn't feel like two authors, it's so smooth. The male characters are obviously written by a male, as you really do feel that you are seeing it from a male's point of view, not what a woman thinks a man is thinking. And the female characters are really well written to, but none as good as the lead character, Kate. She is a great heroine, amazing sense of humour that has me laughing out loud at certain points. She's also not overly perfect as a lot of heroines lately seem to be, so it makes it easier to empathize with her.

If you've read all the books til now, like me, then reading this is frustratingly great. The actions of the characters frustrates because you don't understand why because you and they should know better!

There are also several shocks and twists in the story, and I refuse to write more about it so as not to give any spoilers. Suffice it to say it's great to have Kate back (wasn't a big fan - although still enjoyed it of book 5 - Gunmetal Magic) and to know they've been given the go ahead by their publishers for many more books, as it was originally going to end at book 7 and to think no more Kate and her world after that, is great news.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are they short or is it me?, 8 Sep 2013
S. M. Mussell "Chain" (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
After finishing the last novel I checked out the kindle store and was pleased to see yet another one, needless to say I grabbed that too and was not disappointed, I don't want to ruin the storyline but it does seem that the Ilona Andrews team have something planned for Kate which is making the storyline rather interesting to say the least, I'm liking the way she changes with reveals and seems to be growing.. One minor moan.. Didn't she need to feed the sword previously? No real mention of that now.. Or am I thinking of another book.. Hmmm

Only buy this book if you have 2 days to waste.. Because opening this will delete them from the week!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series of Books..., 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I can't even remember how I stumbled onto these books now, but I love them... I am even hoping they make them into movies, although that could be the kiss of death (Eragon)...

I am very much looking forward to the next book later this year

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I Can't recommend this series enough, it just keeps getting better and better. I Cant wait for the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 4 May 2014
Full of action and heart stopping moments. More please, can't wait for book 7 of the series to be out.

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) by Ilona Andrews (Mass Market Paperback - 30 July 2013)
4.68