5.0 out of 5 stars Do not read this book while eating, 5 Jan. 2015
M. Malthouse (London, UK) - See all my reviews
In fact do not read this book while thinking about eating.

Excise the sex scenes and you'd have an elegant novella...

Um... It's probably brilliant. It's certainly affecting; the last third constantly made me want to weep (not cool when reading during smoke breaks at work).

A 70 year gay love story. Beautifully written prose, utterly real and absorbing.

Side note of irritation: if Delaney can write this why can't he write the once-promised sequel to Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand?

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant slice of life in an unknowble future, 30 Nov. 2013
Steve Craftman (Neath) - See all my reviews
I've slowed up on reviewing books. This one is a reason for it: I was recommended it through a kink website, so be warned: if your vanilla personality is in control, you aren't going to like this. The homoeroticism doesn't get through to masturbatory standards (Though I've had a few damn good dreams since reading this book!).

It's almost like a new genre: a life where sexuality is irrelevant, where race is as relevant as the guys Involved: I couldn't keep track of who was white and who was black. Mills and Boon with dirty, nasty (I'm quoting the characters) homoeroticism. If the Dump existed I'd move there in an instant.

Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders
Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders by Samuel R. Delany (Paperback - 17 April 2012)
Used & New from: £24.89