1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught Me Completely By Surprise, 16 Nov. 2012
Ursula K. Raphael "AstraDaemon of The Zombiep... (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Four in the Hole (Paperback)
I enjoy horror anthologies because they are great way to sample new authors without committing to a full-length novel. The stories in Four In A Hole are not necessarily the kind I would seek out individually, but together they provide an entertaining cross-section of what's new in the horror genre.

The Deadlands by Bill Blume is told from the POV of Paul, a guy who wakes up as a patient in a hospital, but, unlike 28 Days Later, Paul was aware of an apocalyptic event taking place before he blacked out. Everyone else appears to have become withered corpses. It is a remarkable blend of sci-fi and horror, woven with elements of Norse mythology.

Stagnant Waters by Bennie L. Newsome was so completely awesome that I hope MDP considers releasing it as a single story for e-readers. It's a strange story about a small town attempting to kill the last of the vampires in their wooded area. Told from the POV of three children, I actually found it somewhat hilarious, and I thought the epilogue was superb!!

The Night We Didn't Go Home by G.R. Mosca is a must-read for zombiephiles. It's an unusual story about children caught on a school bus during the onset of an undead outbreak...heart-wrenching to say the least.

Road Kill Counting Book by Pat R. Steiner follows two survivors (one pregnant) in their desperate attempt to reach an isolated cabin before the baby is born in a post-apocalyptic world. I would never in a million years have guessed that I would enjoy this as much as I did; it is a great mix of genre fiction, but it was more drama than horror.

Even though I don't think this is the best anthology that MDP has ever released, I still recommend it to horror fans.

Four in the Hole
Four in the Hole by Bennie L. Newsome (Paperback - 4 Sept. 2011)