Format: Paperback|Change

When you live a busy life and time to cook is short it may be tempting to rely on convenience foods for sustenance. But this book is one which will prove that you can make healthy, nutritious meals in no time at all and let you purge your mind of any thought of another take away!

It contains a generous collection of 175 recipes for all occasions. A couple of ones that you might like to try include Spinach & Artichoke Frittata, Chilli-Sweet Mango Noodles and White Enchiladas. The final chapter of the book contains a useful section on how to make sauces and gravies which you can portion up and freeze for later use.

As the book has a strong emphasis on healthy eating each recipe comes with a nutrition summary at the bottom of each page. I don't think I saw too many over 300 calories per portion, with the vast majority being a lot less. If you lead a hectic lifestyle but don't want to compromise on health or cooking then you can't go wrong with this book.
on 8 December 2012
I have a huge selection of cookbooks but the Happy Herbivore books get used more often than any others on my shelves. These recipes are quick, healthy (low fat and based on whole foods, with no added oils) and delicious. I work and have young children so I don't have a lot of time to cook, and it's great to have easy recipes I can prepare at short notice.

Some of my family's favourite recipes in this book are the Granola Bars, Blueberry Breakfast Cake, Pinto Burgers, Everything Minestrone, Red-Red Stew, Ethiopian Chickpea Stew, Thai Lettuce Wraps, Broccoli and Red Pepper Stir-Fry, Gobi Palak (although we would have liked it to be a bit spicier), Dijon Rice with Broccoli, Arroz Amarillo (this is really delicious and easy), Cuban Black Bean Cakes, Cajun Chickpea Cakes, Quick Pumpkin-Sage Pasta and Cauliflower Manchurian.
on 26 February 2013
I first stumble on Lindsay's blog happyherbivore.com because I was looking for ways to cook food without added oil, a few tries of her online recipes got me hooked and I purchased her first cookbook. After using her first cookbook everyday I decided to order her second one and it did not let me down. Ever since I received it I have been extensively using it. Just like her first cookbook it is jam packed full of recipes that are easy and delicious. I don't have a lot of time to cook being a student nor do I have a lot of money, but with these recipes I can whip a healthy and delicious dinner up in 20minutes!

What I love about Lindsay's cooking is that she relies on spices for flavour rather than fat so as long as your pantry is well stocked with spices there really is not a lot of extras you have to buy to make her meals because she uses staples found in most pantries like beans.

I just want to address some comments I have noticed regarding her books. I have noticed some people say these are good books if you live in North America but some of the ingredients are hard to find if you live in the UK. I am from Canada but I study abroad in Scotland and I use her cook books every-single-day in Scotland with no difficulty finding ingredients. It is true sometimes you have to go to health food stores or order ingredients online (like nutritional yeast) but it is not often. Most of the ingredients I can find at Sainsbury's or ASDA. But other than nutrtional yeast-- which I can't find anywhere in stores-- it is the only ingredient thus far I would have to order online. As for other ingredients such as certain beans if I cannot find it, the recipes are so adaptable that you can easily substitute one type of bean for another and it still tastes delicious. Another comment I notice a lot is that "simplicity" of the recipes, which I find to be beneficial. I don't have a lot of time to cook dinner, but I want to cook healthy meals and the fact that these recipes are not daunting encourages me to cook more often.

Another aspect of this cookbook is that there are a lot of pictures and I like cook books with pictures. Also, this book is very organized. The author labels every meal with icons such as ready in <30min, gluten free, soy free etc so if you have a particular dietary need you can know which recipes are suitable for you without having to read the list of ingredients all the time. This is really time saving and makes it super use friendly. I also enjoy that she adds in all the nutritional contents of her food. She breaks down calories, fat etc so again, very user friendly. There are a lot of 2 serving recipes in this book which is great if you are cooking for 1 or 2 either you have no left overs or just enough for lunch the next day which is awesome.

If you love flavourful food but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen making it, then this book is for you!
on 29 March 2014
Not great at these things but just had to write something. I love how easy to follow the recipes are, and not one that I have tried (and there's been quite a lot) came out wrong.. Love this book.
on 1 September 2013
I have lots of vegan cook books and some are less than inspiring. But this one ( although with a US bias) is easy to follow and the recipes are delicious. It's a paperback, good quality, and with lovely photos throughout. Highly recommended for anyone who is or considering to become vegan.
on 22 January 2013
Good healthy recipes which don't take long and don't rely on random ingredients. Also well-written and has colour pictures throughout.
on 6 November 2015
Not used this book yet but cannot wait to try the recipes, simple easy with good colour pictures
on 16 November 2014
one of my all-time favourite vegan cook books :-)
on 30 December 2014
Fantastic
on 18 October 2012
I was expecting more interesting, health, fresh (raw) and wholesome recipes. These recipes have a Tex-Mex slant and is very American in terms of ingredients, which might be easy to get a hold of 'over there' but not in the humble UK. I was a bit dissappointed overall as it had recieved positive reviews. Oh well, I think it is down to 'taste' and preference. Perhaps must useful to new vegans or vegetarians.
66 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse