Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 January 2014
I bought this following a glowing review in the Observer newspaper. All the photographs seem to look into a secret world that otherwise we would never have the opportunity to see. The subject matter could be grim and Mike Brodie has painted his subjects with incredible honesty but his love and respect for them have given them great dignity. The boy hanging off the back of the tailgate giving us the finger is a real iconic image. There is nothing comfortable in this book of photographs of people on the run from something but for once let a book of photographs stir and disturb you. The people in it are not wearing calvin klein and are incredibly alive, a lot of them need a good wash but you want to hear their story first.
on 17 June 2013
A superb book. Mike Brodie's travels as a punk-esque train hopper are beautifully recorded by him. Warm, intimate images that immediately draw you into his world.

The book is quite large, and feels really well-made. Very well printed, with images all landscape format on single pages. Wonderfully minimal, matter-of-fact bit of text by Brodie at the end that makes the book truly whole and satisfying.

I would put it among my favourite photographic books.
on 18 June 2014
A highly atmospheric & gritty pictorial collection of the hobo life, photographed by a young hobo. Mike Brodie's rather dysfunctional upbringing took him travelling rough in that most American of ways, riding railcars. It's hard not to reflect " Who are three people? What is their story? Where will they finally end up?." I suppose too " There but for the grace of God…" Mike Brodie first published this work in 2012, from what I understand his life has taken a totally different direction. He now lives far from his beginnings and has settled in happening Oakland. A city I love. The book is discounted from its original fairly high price, and is now more accessible. I bought my copy via an Amazon retailer, and it was despatched from US.
on 14 May 2013
Hello Found the book to exceptionally good in its whole entirety,a most excellent publication,picture format outstanding,and the colour photos are superb,depicting life on the rails,makes you feel you are there with the people depicted.
Thank you .
Mr G F Fagan.
on 13 March 2014
Beautiful and thought provocative images. I could write a novel to each and single one picture. Although the print is good and the book is large in dimensions, the pictures themselves are printed disappointingly small, with too much whitespace (around 60%) around each image. Sadly I find the images lose most of their appeal, compared to the large front image, and the ones I've seen in magazines.
on 24 January 2014
I bought this book as a present for my boyfriend, and he absolutely loved it, thought it was brilliant, couldn't even wait till christmas to open it!
on 25 May 2015
Sorry but I don't care for the forced casualness of these photos. They're just striving for a little too much compositional sophistication for me to view them in the candid diarist style Mr Brodie would like us to. Reminds me of the movie My Own Private Idaho where half way through the characters break out into a Shakespearean opera. There's something really jarring in all the attention to form and makes me think Brodie isn't quite the idiot savant grocery jerk he would have us believe. Anyone care to hazard a guess at the cost of a Nikon f3 and 35mm in 2003? A little more than you could afford on grocery boy's wages I would think.
on 14 March 2015