5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read with great recipes
I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox and found it absolutely fantastic. My skin was glowing, energy sky high and I never once felt deprived - the book has so many great recipes that you never feel like you're missing out. Highly recommend!
Published 10 months ago by Claire Hayhurst

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I found this book really disappointing. It has very little helpful information, unless one likes lots of colourfully illustrated recipes.
Before reading this book, I read a really good book full of information which helped me to change things in my life, called "The Sweet Poison Quit Plan" by David Gillespie. That's the book I'd really recommend
Published 9 months ago by Julia Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read with great recipes, 30 Jan 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 2 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recipes, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: 21 Day Sugar Detox, The (Paperback)
I already own Practical Paleo so was really looking forward to this book. I also have the online version of 21DSD. Same as Practical Paleo this book is beautifully designed and presents you with three levels of detox to follow with handy menu plans for each. The included recipes are not too time consuming and don;t use too many difficult to source ingredients. The explanation for why limiting sugar may be a good idea was superb as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Diane. Can we maintain this lifestyle of eating?, 10 May 2014
This review is from: 21 Day Sugar Detox, The (Paperback)
For me, time will tell if this can be a long-term commitment. Overall, the information in this book is excellent. Friends wanted to know why I started on this with my three daughters. Well, it's all about releasing toxins that build up in our system that cause inflammation, lower the immune system and contribute negatively to our health and life span. Sugar is the big one, as well as processed foods that are not nutritionally balanced (processed means it's either shredded, rolled, flaked or puffed and usually found in the middle aisles of most supermarkets). So, it's a long list. I didn't think about sugar being addictive and this book explains that very throughly as it being cyclical. As I am already pretty careful about what I eat and choose organic and fair trade food whenever possible, this book outlines a clear path to explore a way to change habits of eating and choose to eat consciously for 21 days only. That's a fair request. The book addresses that it's not just specific foods that are targeted, as well as it is looking at food associations that create triggers that set off the physical or emotional addiction. I appreciated the three levels the author created to engage in according to our life styles of activity and energy needs. Furthermore, there are lists of foods that fall into categories of either NO or YES foods within each level, which I found supportive. I've well marked up the recipes that I choose to cook and most were really good. Oh, yes, I would have liked some a bit "sweeter" and it became a mental attitude to stay the course, the reward being that eventually it changed my pallet. You will have to do some shopping to ensure that you have the products needed because availability and planning are essential for a successful outcome. For instance, there is a lot of use of coconut oil and coconut flour which is not on the shelves of many of our supermarkets. I mostly missed condiments, so reading labels is necessary as there is either wheat or sugar in most of these products. I must emphasize that having a partner was essential, as well as having the time to do all the preparation and shopping required. This is not for the faint-hearted unless your motivation is strong enough to shift your perspective about what you eat. Getting back to a long-term diet for myself now is the next step, and the information on that is very sensible..... slowly. Once you have experienced this routine it is something you can revisit if you slip into "old and familiar" habits of eating after the 21 days of detoxing. I treated this an an experiment and found that my attitude of what I put in my mouth triggered a desire to continue to eat consciously. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it works, and I recommend it if you are concerned about your health, so do have a go at it. Although it's heavy on eggs and dairy during the trial, which was a balm for me, I did not gain or lose weight myself, although one of my daughter's weight did decline. I will explore Diane's specific book of recipes as she has raised my curiosity and creativity about food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not STRICTLY sugar free, 27 Jun 2014
M. La Alsworth (east sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 21 Day Sugar Detox, The (Paperback)
This is good for generally overhauling your diet and eating healthily. However, as with all the se sugar free books, there is some room for controversy. Using apple and unripe banana does not sugar free make! However, I'm following a strict anti-candida diet, so I cannot be completely unbiased here. The author is pretty strict on the no grain and no sugar substitute aspect, and I have been using the excellent and easy recipe for the herby coconut drop scones since I started my very strict diet (2 weeks ago!), generally an excellent book, with good advise on auto immune modifications (which I also have, and found interesting reading). Give it a go I say!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest way to detox and reset, 6 May 2014
Great recipes, very informative. Made my first ever detox enjoyable. Will even use some recipes after the detox because they are so delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars It really did work!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: 21 Day Sugar Detox, The (Paperback)
This is something I would definitely recommend trying. Yes, it's hard, but you notice straight away how much unnecessary sugar we consume without even thinking about it. A benefit I noticed straight away was that I could wake up in the morning without being tired - I was excited to get up - which never happens.

The book has some fabulous recipes which are super easy to make and they're tasty too. The book also clearly states what you need to be doing and when, has good meal plans, and has an exhaustive list of good/bad foods. It's a no brainer really, get involved.

3.0 out of 5 stars 21 Day Detox but not for veggies or vegans, 14 Nov 2013
Interesting reading, BUT no good if you are vegetarian or vegan. It mentions about pescatarian (fish, but no meat) diet, but not a diet without fish or dairy. Therefore no good for my needs, and a complete waste of money.

21 Day Sugar Detox, The
21 Day Sugar Detox, The by Diane Sanfilippo (Paperback - 29 Oct 2013)