4.0 out of 5 stars Dance, Magic Dance....
Synopsis

After having yet another argument with her stepmother over babysitting duties, Sarah appeals to the goblin king to take away her younger brother Toby. When this actually happens Sarah starts a quest to retrieve her younger sibling and she only has thirteen hours to make her way to the centre of the labyrinth to confront Jareth, the Goblin King...
Published 8 months ago by LJBentley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not great.
Published 7 months ago by Tippetarius

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dance, Magic Dance...., 13 Aug. 2014
Synopsis

Review

Ok, so if – like me – you are a child of the 80s then Labyrinth will have been a firm favourite of yours. It most definitely was one of my favourites (to the point where I have the soundtrack on CD and vinyl and the DVD and film posters and the T-Shirt and a weird crush on David Bowie) so when I saw that a book was going to be released of the story I will admit my inner geek went into overdrive. This occasionally happens, especially when I find random memorabilia from movies that I love.

I bought a copy of the book in a moment of proud madness – well technically I Pre-Ordered it from Amazon. I had just had a root canal after 30 years of avoiding the dentist and felt that I had been a brave little toaster and deserved a treat. And boy was this book a treat.

It was strange reading a story that I have loved for such a long time. The characters’ were exactly how they were in the movies but what is good about the book is that you get a vision of the unedited movie. Deleted scenes take place in the book that obviously didn’t make it to the actual movie. What I did find is that some of the descriptive narrative read like extra detailing in a script.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing because if you have seen the movie you can see just how accurate that the movie makers got it.

Overall, this is a sumptuous book for the lovers of the film. Now, having finished the book I am off to watch the movie. Dance, Magic Dance….

Jim Henson’s Labyrinth by ACH Smith and Brian Froud is available now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat for movie lovers who enjoyed and grew up with an exciting tale of a Labyrinth, 2 May 2014
‘Jim Henson's Labyrinth’ written by A.C.H. Smith, illustrated by Brian Froud and overseen by Jim Henson himself will be a real treat for movie lovers who had for the past 30 years enjoyed and grew up with an exciting tale of a Labyrinth through which young Jennifer Connelly must pass due to the challenge set before her by Goblin King acted by David Bowie.

Young girl named Sarah will be left at home to babysit her little brother Toby, but because he keeps crying Sarah, while telling him her favorite story, will carelessly wish the child to the goblins that will bring to the real world fantasy character named Goblin King.

Goblin King will steal her brother bringing him to his castle that is somewhere in inside the big labyrinth full of challenges. Sarah will need to find and rescue Toby before midnight, solving the Goblin King's Labyrinth in 13 hours or her baby brother will also become a goblin…

The decision to make a reprint of this book on 300 pages is one of the news that lately pleased me the most. The movie from the 80s in whose company I spent numerous hours when I was kid, countless times enjoying the courage of young Sarah now continues to live in the pages of this beautifully designed book in which both young and older readers will enjoy while fans will surely decorate with it their bookshelves.

The book comes in a beautiful hardcover with illustrations that depict known images from the movie in a slightly different way so I may even suggest if you by some chance have not seen the movie, first read this book, which gives a new dimension to Hanson's movie - one of those that has marked our childhood, kind of movie that today there is no longer any.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reprint of a wonderful novelisation, 27 April 2014
This is a reprint of A. C. H. Smith's novelisation of Labyrinth, complemented by lots of great new material including some wonderful Brian Froud goblin sketches and pages from Jim Henson's ideas notebook. The book is beautifully presented and of very high quality, as we have come to expect from Archaia.

The novelisation itself is great, capturing all the key moments in the film while also adding in intriguing additional details that flesh out the characters and their back-stories. Many scenes are extended beyond the versions seen in the film, and I particularly enjoy the insights into Sarah's family life (her relationship with her absent mother is explored, and knowing the background to her mother's departure really makes Sarah's petulance in the film far easier to understand) and Jareth's thought processes (he becomes a fully fleshed out character in the novelisation, with fears and desires),

Now for the new content - while the Froud sketches are wonderful they are inescapably familiar (although the character concepts are new, I’ve seen many other goblin sketches before in Goblins of the Labyrinth and elsewhere); by contrast, the Henson notes are completely fresh and have really captured my imagination. They provide a genuinely fascinating insight into the early development of the film. The notes can best be best described as embryonic ideas - among other things, they reveal that one of Jareth’s early names was Torquil (!), the Wiseman’s bird hat started life as the top of a Jester’s staff and an early description of Sir Didymus summed him up perfectly as “small and feisty”.

Overall, I can’t recommend this enough - the book is perfectly presented, and the new content makes it a must have even if you already own the original print of the novelisation. Get it now, and treat yourself!

IMPORTANT NOTE - At the time of posting this review, this page contains conflicting information. While most of the information on this page clearly states that this is a novelisation of Labyrinth, some of the information suggests that the book is actually a prequel to the film. While a prequel was planned and scheduled for release in April 2014, it has now been removed from schedules and is no longer available for pre-order. This reprint of the novelisation took the prequel's slot in the publication schedule, and I have the impression that what was once the page for selling the prequel has now become the page for selling the novelisation. This has, understandably, caused some confusion in people who pre-ordered when this page was still selling the prequel. In a nutshell, if you buy this book you are purchasing a novelisation of Labyrinth not a prequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful :), 27 Jun. 2014
This is the remastered version of A. C. H. Smith's Labyrinth. Labyrinth was my favourite film as a kid and as an adult, it's still one of my ultimate favourites. It is nicely written and gives more details than what is shown in the Jim Henson's film such in regards to the characters. I love that at the end of the book there are character designs and story ideas written by Jim Henson when going through the draft stages of Labyrinth. This book is ideal for any fan of the film and of Jim Henson. I'm so glad I brought this :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not great., 25 Aug. 2014
I bought this because, obviously, I wanted the fantastic film Labyrinth in book form, and on that front it certainly delivers. It tells the full story of the film from start to finish, with no glaring omissions that I noticed The writing, however, is pretty lacking, and sometimes kind of juvenile, the kind of writing you might expect from a GCSE English student. I found myself wanting just a little more depth and creativity. It's essentially just a glorified screenplay. There are a few additions, such as the cool repetition of a poem Sarah knows, which reaches its climax in the ballroom scene, and a more thorough detailing of Sarah's relationship with her mother. The challenge of translating musical scenes to prose could have been handled a little better, as the book lacks a lot of the whimsy and revelry that was so present in the film

In short: the book delivers on its promise to re-tell the story, but don't expect it to do much more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic reproduction of the novelisation of an 80's classic., 30 Mar. 2015
One of the best films of the 80's gets its novelisation reprinted with the fabulous art work added at the end of the story. Again with the other novelizations it adds more background story that the film also includes the art work at the end of the book which was the inspiration for the character designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bloody brilliant! If you've watched the film and enjoyed it ..., 21 Mar. 2015
Absolutely bloody brilliant! If you've watched the film and enjoyed it I honestly recommend you buy the book, hell I recommend you buy it even if you haven't seen the film. It's absolutely amazing, I had to force myself to put it down so I could get some sleep last night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 April 2015
I am a massive Labyrinth fan so was very excited when this was up for pre-order. It arrived before it was supposed to and I fell in love with it immediately. It is a must read for any fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars So in love!, 11 Jun. 2014
I've adored Labyrinth ever since i was a child, it's my favourite movie of all time so when I found out (very recently) that there was a novelization, I NEEDED it! The first one i found was over £100 which, as a student, is really very much out of my price range so i was ecstatic to find this one, Very reasonably priced and just lovely! I love the illustrations and Jim henson's notebook pages at the bacl. Absolutely over the moon. I received it today (one one full day after ordering) and it's already one of my most treasured possessions :)

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely update for any jareth fan, 31 May 2014
beautifully updated version of the original. has some nice extra content which any labyrinth fan will enjoy looking through. it is bound really nicely and the hefty spine will stay in good condition no matter how often you read it. labyrinth is my all time favourite film and as soon as I got my copy of this I had to read it straight away. I collect all labyrinth items and this is a great addition to any ones collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jim Henson's Labyrinth
Jim Henson's Labyrinth by Adrianne Ambrose (Hardcover - 29 April 2014)
Used & New from: £999.11