5.0 out of 5 stars This book is what Zombie's are all about
I thought this book was fantastic. I have read several Brian Keene books and this was my second fave after Terminal. I don't want to give away any spoilers so i'll keep it short. This book is mega fast paced from beginning to end. Has an excellent plot and great charactors. There is nothing missing from this novel at all. A perfect read.
Published on 27 Dec 2007 by Family Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Could have been much much better. Intelligent zombies? No thanks.
Published 1 month ago by BobbyD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is what Zombie's are all about, 27 Dec 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Title, 20 May 2009
R. A. Cruikshank "Cpt. Hamshank" (South Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
So I really dig zombie/post-apocalyptic fiction and while searching on Amazon found Brian Keene's novels. Deciding to go with Dead Sea for a first read I gotta say I am very impressed. Other reviews for his other books painted him in a different light to what I read of his work. I can honestly say Dead Sea is one of the better zombie novels I've ever read and I'll be buying up more of his work after being so impressed with this book.

The zombie mythos is evolving more and more, with the introduction of running zombies and thinking zombies and new ways to spread infection and more species being infected and so on. Some, though valiantly attempted, fail miserably at improving on the genre. Some, as in the case of Dead Sea, succeed marvellously in taking the zombie genre and taking it in a new direction. Cross-species infection is handled brilliantly, the zombies are their classic slow/hording selves, and the imagery is intense.

Keene does an excellent job of pulling you in and making you feel part of the story. The first person perspective coupled with common cultural notions, little things such as the kid in the Slipknot shirt or the joke about Fallout Boy being all that's left for future generations to find, draws you in further and lets you relate a little better with the kind of guy Keene is.

It's through these little nuances that the book becomes more engaging and the story never loses pace. It's an excellent slice of Zombie Fiction and I urge anyone reading this to pick it up if you haven't already and you're a fan of Zombies. Regardless of what other reviews say I'll be checking out a lot more of Keene's work and deciding for myself how good it is, but as far as Dead Sea goes?

10/10. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars KEENE'S BEST HORROR YET, 12 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
Just when i thought he couldn't improve on his previous zombie books The Rising & City of the Dead, Keene brings out Dead Sea. Action packed with wonderful characters. This has a very claustraphobic feel about it, which just adds to the tension and sheer horror of the story. Basically this is a spin-off story from his other zombie books about people escaping the zombie-infested dry land to seek sanctuary elsewhere. They soon find out that their pitiful boat isn't the safe haven they first thought it was. As you'd expect their situation becomes dire as the world collapses around them. I don't like giving the story away in reviews but the ending is so heartbreakingly tragic. I have read about six books by Keene and this is my favourite up to now. Just can't get enough of his wonderful sick stuff.Zombie/apocalyptic fans buy this now.

4.0 out of 5 stars An old-school Zombie Novel, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
Dead Sea was the third Brian Keene novel I read, after The Rising and City of the Dead. For me it was a welcome change of zombie concept for Keene, back to what I consider to be the default zombie format of mindless cannibals, with zero intelligence and endless determination.

If you enjoy zombie stories and have a Romero-esque concept of what zombies should be, then I would recommend Dead Sea whole-heartedly; Armageddon, gore, and bleakness, in a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars dead sea, 26 July 2009
James Teague "book rascal" (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
this is the best and most well written book i have read, both in horror and other genre.
keene allows the reader to empahise with the characters which adds a realism in the book. we are taken in to the end of the world in the best (and most horrific) way possible.
the action is non stop, exploring the epic end in great detail, from the descriptions of the zombies, to the discrimination of the protganists. when reading, we become Lamar, the main character. we know his strenghs and personality. his sexuality and his emotions.
a brilliant read that could possibly be a sneak peak into an inevitable future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleak and Unique!, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
Any zombie-fiction fan worth their salt will be familiar with Brian Keene, the Bram Stoker award-winning author of The Rising. Those people would also know that the man's prolific output (often 3 or 4 novels a year) makes it very hard to keep up with all of his work. This may be why one particular entry of Keene's backlist is often overlooked in favour of his more seminal works, Ghoul and The Rising (along with its sequel City of the Dead). The novel I am referring to is Dead Sea.

Set in a different world to that of The Rising's demon-possessed zombies, Dead Sea features the more traditional Romero-esque undead; shambling hordes of rotting corpses. This may be unoriginal to some, but a big plus for many that dislike the modern `sprinting zombie'. However, despite a nod to tradition, Keene adds a unique twist to the subgenre by good use of setting.

The story begins with Lamar, a gay, black man, fleeing a burning city full of the dead. Along the way he picks up two lost, yet plucky, children and finds his way to the docks. There he manages to board an ex-navy cutter, the USS Spratling, and sets sail along with a handful of other survivors.

The premise of being stuck aboard a ship during a zombie holocaust may not be entirely original (The Morningstar Strain comes to mind), but Keene creates a world all his own through his excellent cast of characters. Like pretty much all of Keene's work, we are given people to root for and people to hate. The protagonist is realistic and flawed, while the antagonists are normal people that react in negative and selfish ways under stress. We can see bits of ourselves in all the characters that Keene creates, and in this regard he is very much like Stephen King at his best. So confident is the author in his characters that he even has one person discuss `Hero Archetypes' and their impact on narratives. The self-referential piece of dialogue is fun and interesting but also gives us an insight into just how well Keene understands his craft.

With so many books to choose from, many will opt to read Brian Keene's better known works, and perhaps that makes sense, but I would strongly suggest giving this one a try, because it may just be one of his very best. The ending in particular is very strong and left me ruminating on it for days afterwards.

So if you like your zombies slow and rotting, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies at Sea!, 24 Mar 2011
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the story of Lamar Reed; a man fighting for survival when a strange new virus nicknamed "Hamelin's Revenge" infects humans from rats and causes them to become the walking dead.

Lamar battles his way out of downtown Baltimore trying to keep himself from being eaten by the living dead. He is joined by a young boy and girl, Malik and Tasha who have lost their mum to the dead.

They have an idea to make it to the Baltimore waterfront and marina to get on a boat to escape the dead hoards in the sea. On arrival at the waterfront they join a band of refugees aboard the USCGC Spratling, an old museum coastguard cutter that is still very sea worthy and part operational. What follows is a scary, exciting zombie story based mainly at sea.

I have to say of all the zombie books I have read; this has got to be one of my favourites. Although it begins with what seems to be a tried and tested unoriginal zombie novel formula, it suddenly veers off and becomes a very original, refreshing take on a zombie apocalypse. I found it much thought provoking especially with the added dimension of the zombie virus "jumping" to other animal species and the additional horror this creates. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Absolutely brilliant and if you are a fan of the zombie genre you simply cannot miss this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Sea, 13 Dec 2010
M. Nicolle (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sea (Kindle Edition)
I have never read a zombie book before and now I am not sure why that is.

After the first few pages I was beginning to regret purchasing this book however I carried on reading and am so glad I did. It was actually hard to put it down. The characters are all excellent and the story line had me gripped.

I would recommend this book to those who wouldn't normally read this genre because it is so well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and a bit gory, 15 Mar 2011
Kborom (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Sea (Mass Market Paperback)
Great book this one, a real page turner where you don't get too much of a break from the (zombie) action.

Normally with books like these I expect some major holes in the plot or in how the story is played out but this seemed reasonable (given the inclusion of zombies that is). As the options reduced the story got more frenetic and the reality hit home more and more to the chracters.

Well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Zombies, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dead Sea (Kindle Edition)
I've only discovered Brian Keene. This is a great claustrophobic read and I really like the fact it has a protagonist, this is incidentally gay, rather than a stereotype. It's very different than The Rising, but you can't help but compare the two. Hence the four stars rather than five.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dead Sea
Dead Sea by Brian Keene (Paperback - 21 May 2011)