5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect read for girls aged 7 -11
The life of a young girl called Celia is interworven with her grandmother's life, also called Celia, who has come to live with her grand-daughter and her family. Grandmother Celia begins to tell Celia about her childhood memories of her experiences with fairies and Celia,herself, begins to meet her own fairies.

I read this book myself, and I enjoyed it but I...
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by S. A. Broadhurst

3.0 out of 5 stars Celia and the Fairies
Published on 21 Sep 2011 by S. Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect read for girls aged 7 -11, 14 Sep 2011
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I read this book myself, and I enjoyed it but I can also see my 9 year old daughter enjoying it too. She is too old for the Rainbow Fairies and this is the perfect book for her to read. I found myself loosing myself in the story and its fantasy world.

There are underlying themes of love, friendship and loyalty and these are important in the world today.

I would recommend it as a good book for girls aged 7-11 years and would be great to share in a class or between friends, a great book to read to children at bedtimes - i am sure they would have great dreams, dreaming about the fantasy world within.

4.0 out of 5 stars Of Fairies, Flutes and Other Fantastical Stuff, 11 Sep 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a fairy kinda thing. You'd have thought I'd have had enough of
them by now what with the infestation we experienced in The Wolf Cave
last Autumn about which I shared some thoughts in my recent review of
Signe Pike's entertaining book 'Faery Tale : One Woman's Search For
Enchantment In A Modern World' but here they are again, febrile and
all aflutter, to embroider yet another story of enchantment, adventure
and skullduggery, this time within the pages of Karen McQuestion's
fine novel 'Celia and The Fairies'. It is a simple but entertaining read.

Celia's Grandmother comes to stay and it is clear from the outset
that the old girl has more than a little prior knowledge of the tiny
folk and their wily ways. The dastardly Vicky McClutchy (move over
Cruella de Ville, you have competition!) has designs on taking over
Celia's parents' toy company by means unfair and foul and it falls
you our young heroine to save the day with help from her otherworldly
friends and a magic flute (move over Mozart!). Head-honcho fairy Mira
(an interfering and somewhat self-aggrandising sprite, so typical
of her kind) enlists the help of Celia to put the world to rights and
save the day. The plot is well-managed and easy to follow and passed
the "read-out-loud" test with flying colours. Little ones will love it.

I'm done with fairies for a while now; trolls may well be my next thing!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this, 13 April 2014
Really enjoyed this book almost wanted to go back to my childhood to see if there are fairies in the bottom of my garden would highly reccomend it to anyone very enthralling couldnt put it down once I started reading brought out my inner child not that I ever grew up in the first place

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Aug 2011
Thinker (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this in one evening, I am way above the target age range though!
This is about a little girl Celia and how when her Grammy comes to live with her family she is told about Fairies in the woods behind her house, her other family tell her not to listen. There is drama galore and it is written in a simplistic way because of the target age range. The book is not very long but longer than say the Rainbow Fairies books I guess. It is very well written and I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Celia and the Fairies, 21 Sep 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lovely book however a bit too young for me however I plan to let my niece read this when she is a little bit older as it is a lovely story. The story is all about Celia and how she discovers there are fairies living in the woods behind her house once her Gran comes to stay with them (her Gran is also called Celia). Celia has to try and get back a necklace from her next door neighbours aunt Vicky McClutchy as she stole the necklace ornament from Celia's dad back when they were little. Celia also has to try to find a way to stop the highway being built through where their house now stands and also through the woods in order to save the fairies and save her home - a big ask for a little girl and an impossible mission?
A lovely story which is most definitely aimed at girls between 9 and 12 years old due to its clear and simplistic (but lovely) writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly written little book for children., 1 Aug 2011
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought this to read to a group of friends children. They absolutely loved me reading it and several then asked their parents if they would buy them their own copies.

Celia is an only child and is delighted when her Grandmother comes to live with her and her family. Her Grandmother tells her that when she was her age, she had helped a Fairy who was in mortal danger and had been rewarded by being given a silver flute. At first Celia is very sceptical about her Grandmother's story but then one night she also answers a call from Mira the same Fairy who years ago had contacted her Granny. Mira tells her that something very bad is going to happen and that only she will be able to stop it. This appears to be a hard task for one little girl but she resolves to try and sort out whatever problem it is that is coming.

Paul is her friend who lives next door and he has an Aunt who owns a toy empire and is ruthless in what she wants and how she gets it.........Celia's Father on the other hand also owns a Toy Shop which is lovingly family run and all the toys are made by hand and on site. Vicky, the Aunt in question wants to buy out the toy shop and will stop at nothing to get her hands on it, stooping really low to get what she wants. This is where Celia comes in but first she must find the missing half of the magic flute for without it she will not be able to help.

This was a great little book with enough excitement in it to keep 6 children quiet for long stretches at a time. I also admit to liking it and I'm hardly a child.

I highly recommend this lovely little book.

3.0 out of 5 stars The shadows are a bit scary for some, 4 Aug 2014
Mrs. RE Bryant (London) - See all my reviews
I thought this book sounded perfect for my 8 1/2 year old based on other reviews, but she found the 'shadows' to be very scary. She was up very late last night refusing to sleep as she was scared having just finished the book. I think she would rather have not read it until she was older. I saw a number of reviews suggesting the content was fine for 7+

5.0 out of 5 stars I was intrigued, 27 Jun 2014
That was an AMAZING book...I loved the whole thing from cover to cover..it also gave me more feeling to believe.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Celia and the fairies by Karen McQuestion, 8 Jun 2014
My rating is 5 stars because it is a fabulous and exiting book in which Celia' s grandma (also called Celia)tells Celia a about fairies in the watch full woods....
Mira the chive fairy tells Celia about finding a flute .... but Celia realizes that the flute is broken...
A fab book.recommended for 8-11.
Hope you enjoy
From a book lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Jun 2014
This book is great and I advise everybody to read it it's so good a well done to Karen McQuestion

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Celia and the Fairies
Celia and the Fairies by Karen McQuestion (Paperback - 3 Sep 2010)