Format: PaperbackChange

on 28 May 2012
The idea of this book is pretty original for zombie fiction. It contains copies of e-mails that were sent during a zombie apocalypse but that never arived due to a server failure. Most of them are only a page or two long, so there are quite a lot of them and I was expecting at least a few clever ideas in there somewhere. Unfortunately, there are only a few really good ones, with the majority being quite mediocre. They typical e-mail goes along these lines:

-The phones aren't working so I have to e-mail you
-I'm in a shelter but surrounded by zombies so can't get out
-I just wanted to tell you that I love/hate you
-Oh no, they're breaking down the door
-I'm going to keep writing even though they are eating me

Fine, I guess, but this gets a bit boring and I can't believe that anyone could carry on typing while being eaten alive (and this happens many times). On top of that the style of the e-mails isn't realistic in quite a few cases, and they just don't sound genuine as the authors often write strange things in order to tell the reader something without being able to outright say it. For example, when writing to your spouse it's not necessary to say things like "my son, Bob" as they know who Bob is. You might also mention fairly early on in the e-mail that they are dead, not waffle on and mention it in passing after a few paragraphs.

That said, there are few really good e-mails that made it worth reading this book. I particularly liked a spoof spam e-mail, a series of e-mails from a naive mother to her son, and a set about a grandfather going to his grandson's rescue. A few great bits, no many terrible bit, but pretty average overall.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse