Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2013
This was one of the first books I read about Autism, and one of the best so far!

Ellen's style is chatty, and I found the book a good read - it flowed well, and the advice it contained is just what I need!

As the parent of two children who have grown up and done well at what they have tried for, it gives me hope for my son's future!

This is one book which I will gladly recommend to any parent with a newly-diagnosed child with autism - it's a great starter!
on 24 April 2013
My son has autism. This book is so good, it changed my way of thinking about autism. Get the book, it will change yours and your child's life. Very helpful on how to handle your child when he or she is having a meltdown. I could go on and on, get the book.
on 5 April 2014
An excellent book giving an insight into autism from the childs view. Simply put a real eye opener and was recommended to me by a friend who is a GP and works with children and families affected by autism. I would recommend it to anyone. It makes you reconsider your approach and rethink your attitude towards others. Areal gem of a book.
on 18 February 2014
Any parent, or anybody who knows a parent of an autistic child, should read/recommend this book. It's written from experience, doesn't preach, and is full of of reasonable and practical wisdom which has come rom working with the author's own autistic child. I can't recommend this book too highly to anybody who has or is involved in any way with anybody who has an autistic child.
on 13 January 2013
Very good informative book we as grandparents will read again and again very helpful to us and our family and friends
on 9 July 2014
This is great for anyone, like me, starting on the journey of learning about autism. This explains in an easy way how a child may perceive the world and understand their behaviour by putting yourself in their place. Even if you don't read the full book the shorter explaination of the ten things is extremely useful, especially for other members of your family or friends. Many people just don't understand what autism is, the think "rain man", which couldn't be further from the truth for many children.
If this book does nothing else, it emphasises how children with autism are children FIRST!!!!!
Buy it now, read it yourself and then pass it on!!!!!!!
on 21 November 2013
Having a son aged 3 recently diagnosed and having read a lot of books and pages on the internet, I was really looking forward to this and it did not disappoint! It has been invaluable to my husband and our family in trying to understand how our little man may be thinking. We all had lightbulb moments reading it, and it was particularly useful for family members having difficulty accepting and understanding the diagnosis. Very beneficial for all families and carers of little ones on the spectrum.
on 12 March 2014
Very good and well done Bryce and his mum but a lot of this book does not really apply to those children who are more severely affected by autism!!!
on 11 November 2013
This book is a must have for parents that have a child with Autism or anyone dealing or working with a child that has the condition. My son is three and has Autism and i can honestly say that this book has helped me so much to understand the nature of the condition and more importantly how to deal with certain situations. It equips you with the a perspective from the flip side of the coin and opens your eyes to what really matters and more importantly what you need to know. It can be a tough read at times but thoroughly worth it...don't hesitate its fantastic and really inspiring
on 11 April 2015
As a mother of a child with Autism, I loved this book so much.

It really emphasises that you have a child, first and foremost - I hate when people call my daughter "autistic" the emphasis being that that is the sum part of her.

There is far more to my child than her autism and I love this book and the way it sets things out.

This book is essential for anyone whose child has autism or for anyone who works with a child with autism.

Buy it and give it to anyone in your life who struggles to understand about your child having asd - especially those who only chose to see the negatives associated with your child having autism. For all those people out there who have preconceived ideas of what an 'autistic' child is - read this book and become enlightened.

It is a simple book to read - but has so much good information . Essential reading in my opinion for anyone who loves or works with someone who has autism.

It helps you to focus on how