on 2 September 2010
This book is fantasctic i would recomend it to anyone personal or professional it gives a good understanding of how aspergers affects not only Kristina but her family life too.
on 9 July 2010
I could not put this book down. My 9 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and we have struggled to understand her - and still do but this book showed us we are not alone. If you changed Kristina's name in the book to my daughters name it could have been written about her. Infact I have ordered another copy for my daughters teacher to read and I am giving my book to my parents when I finish it because as my support I think they need to read it. If you have a girl with suspected or diagnosed aspergers then this book should be top of your pile of aspergers books that grace your bedside cabinate.
on 23 April 2013
It was really refreshing to read a bok about a girl with aspergers. So many books relate to bys' experiences and aspergers in girls can manifest itself so differently - good focus on problems enountered in the education system and great tips on how to deal with teaching staff. Lovely to read a book that is so ordinary and not a the extreme of behavioural issues. Highly recommended and thank you to the author and her daughter for allowing us to share their experience. A real help to me and my recently diagnosed daughter.
on 3 November 2010
As the parent of an Asperger girl, I found this book interesting and relevant, although, as parents of Asperger's children will know, not all children with the condition are the same. However, some of the advice given in the book has made me more determined to see things from my daughter's point of view.
on 20 February 2014
It's worth pointing out that this isn't a guide or help book. It's one woman's account of her experiences with a young daughter who has been diagnosed with ASD. As such, there were was much in it that I could compare to my own experience with my daughter. There were parts that made me smile as they were so familiar to me.
However, as a previous reviewer has pointed out - it is very American, and so the advice contained in it is of less use to people in the UK. I get the impression that it's a few years old at this point and knowledge & acceptance of ASD is much greater now.
For me personally, I found it a little sugary too - I dislike the 'girls = pink' equation and have far less reliance on the power of prayer and God when it comes to helping your Aspergers daughter.
Still, it's an easy read and written in a genuine way.
on 22 December 2014
Good book and spoken with authority through experience but a bit over complicated for me at the end of each chapter. Good for those with kids at school as stories based a lot around that. I homeschool so thats why probably not ideal for me. I would recommend though for any Aspie mums with girls at school.
on 15 February 2011
This book helped me to understand more about asperger's and the effects upon the family. I could relate with some of the issue's raised. My daughter hasn't been formally diagnosed yet, although we are still waiting, is much older.
A good informed read, easy to digest, not too much jargon. I found this account didn't relate with my own experience atm, as my daughter is at a different stage of her life. However, it was good to relate to certain situations of the past, and it helped to tick boxes.
on 14 June 2015
Very helpful and informative guide written from a parents perspective. Good advice
on 13 May 2015
Quick postage and as an aspie mum I look.forward to getting more insight
on 4 December 2011
Lovely book to read, very a accessible, however didn't realise it was an American book so lots of advice for an American audience.
As this wasn't relevant for me I'm only giving 3 stars. It was good to read a book about girls with an ASD, so worth a read if u have a daughter on the spectrum, stories were really interesting.