1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Who, 28 May 2013
M. Warren "figinbrighton" (brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Queers Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the LGBTQ Fans Who Love It (Paperback)
I have to disclose an interest here ... I authored one of the essays that comprise this book.

As such I had a preview copy and spent a very entertaining few hours reading it. Naturally I turned to my contribtuion first (it representing my first - probably only - published work) to see what it looked like 'in real life' and having got over over the shock turned to 'the others.'

This book demonstrates two key things; firstly that Doctor Who is a robust and deep enough cultural text (if you'll excuse the slip into academic lingua franca) to take all kind of readings and interpretations and secondly that there is a huge gulf between US and UK appreciations of its meaning/s to LGBTQ persons.

That first point was not a surprise, but the latter one was a bit of a revelation. US appreciations cohere around specific fan reactions, whilst UK ones are more concerned with its place in the cultural pantheon. I suppose that not be surprising given that the programme has run for over 50 years in the UK as mainstream entertainment but was only broadcast in the US (on and off) from the 1980's... but it wasn't something I expected to emerge so robustly.

The book is a good read, by turns funny, touching, moving, perplexing and revealing. It shows how LGBTQ fans have adopted, adapted, ignored, parsed, interpreted and enjoyed the show and each contributor has a strong voice. Of particular revelation to me were a consideration of the show by a Trans author thinking about the parallels of 'regeneration' and transformation and a really sweet piece about a 'best friend'.

It's quite a wordly tome, but there are jokes, laughs and fun to be had.

I'm really grateful for having had the chance to contribute and I commend it to you as another way of looking at Doctor Who and what it means to so many people.