5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Well Written
C# in Depth 2nd Edition is the most well written book on C# I've read. The author manages to explain some difficult concepts in clear, meaningful ways with useful examples. I could always understand where and why I'd utilise certain aspects of C#.

Published on 10 Dec 2010 by Mr_Peeks

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe some of the hype
In terms of the content which is there, this is a great book, although it may have been better titled 'Aspects of C# in depth'. Don't get me wrong, this is a good read, and very few people will walk away without having gained something from it, however, it's far from being comprehensive.

You will walk away with an in-depth understanding of generics, delegates...
Published on 30 May 2011 by Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Well Written, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)

I don't think the book is targeted at beginners ('in depth' gives that away) but the friendly, sometimes humorous language is always engaging - it sometimes felt like I was reading a novel which is a real credit to the author.

The author's expertise in the language shines through and I found the book answering each and every question I had - usually in the next sentence. I found the section of generic and interface variance particularly useful as it's a topic I've tried to understand previously - but failed. I was slightly disappointed to find there was nothing on the Task Parallel Library but it's understandable given that it's part of the .Net library not the language itself.

I'd recommend this book for any C# developer wanting to up their game by appreciating a deeper understanding of the language features that are often underused or misunderstood.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you'll keep going back to, 4 Jan 2011
P. Gill (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
Jon Skeet is the Stephen Fry of C#. He's clearly a very clever chap indeed, but he shares his wisdom in such a charming and friendly way that, instead of feeling overawed and discouraged, you're left feeling inspired and confident.

I bought this book because I wanted to get to grips with LINQ, so I went straight to Part 3, but I soon realised there were plenty of things in the first two parts that I needed to know first. Reading the book from the beginning was a revelation. I converted from C++ to C# when it first appeared. Although I've tried to keep my knowledge up-to-date I was amazed how many newer features of the language had passed me by. Some sections are quite straight forward, but others need more attention. If you get stuck try compiling a few examples of your own then going back and re-reading the section. Even if you need to do this several times over it's time well spent.

I feel I've only scratched the surface of the material in this book so far. I bought the paper version of the book, and then downloaded the free PDF version which is sitting on my laptop at work. I'm sure I'll be going back to it over and over again for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has something for even the .Net Ninjas, 5 April 2011
David Kemp (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
Jon Skeet has a lot more patience than I do. I look at the C# Spec, don't get it straight away, go off and do something else. Jon, however, seems to read it until he gets it, and then, on top of that, he manages to rewrite it in a way that makes sense.
Sure, there were a few places where I would have liked this book to go into even more detail, but that's more a praise of Jon Skeet's writing style than a criticism of the book; if only all the details of how .Net works were written like this.
I really liked the style of building up information, and showing how features have changed throughout the versions of C# is really useful.
Since I read this book (not entirely serially, I must admit), I referenced it many times. I have the physical copy at home and the e-book on my gmail so I can get it at work, or on the loose.
I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who's serious about .Net and C#.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent; a must-have book for C# developers and students., 13 April 2011
Mr. Bernhard Hofmann "Blue Bear" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
The book is well structured and covers a very broad spectrum of C# features in easy reading English. The author goes to great lengths to explain the workings of C#, not just in syntactical form, but often explaining what the compiler is doing for us to make the code so much easier or succinct. The casual way the prose is written makes reading this book a pleasure rather than a chore. Good structure and indexing makes it very easy and quick to find relevant content when it's needed. I would say this book is designed to be both read from cover to cover as well as a reference for specific feature details.

I have the paper book, the PDF, and the Kindle version on my Android phone. This book goes wherever I go so that even when I don't need it as a reference, I can refresh my knowledge by going back to a section that I'm thinking about.

I highly recommend this book to all C# developers who want to understand the language they use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just an exceptional C# book..., 11 Oct 2011
A. T. Richards "Andrew" (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
As a serial tech book buyer/reader this is one of few that I'd save if the house was on fire. Not just an excellent C# book; not just excellent .Net book: possibly one of the best technical books on any subject I have ever encountered.

Not only is Jon Skeet a C#epedia but an exceptional technical author.

The structure follows the evolution of C# so there's lots of useful information and techniques to explore across language versions that make life easier.

It's unusual in that it's usable as a reference but easily (re)readable from cover to cover. Clear, concise and invaluable.

Credit to the publisher for including downloadable free electronic version too (various formats include Kindle friendly).

The only downside to this is that other technical books will seem disposable by comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars It goes really deep, 14 July 2011
Giorgio Benzi "Giorgio B." (Genoa, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
Just a few words: this is not a book for beginners; if you are not an experienced programmer or have not a good base knowledge of C#, read another book before.
If you are familiar with C#, this book can teach you a lot. It is never trivial, as complete guides often are, and it is full of intelligent examples. Great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe some of the hype, 30 May 2011
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)

You will walk away with an in-depth understanding of generics, delegates and LINQ, however, the ever-important topic of multi-threading is barely touched upon (and that's just one example). It's almost as if Jon has written a book on the areas of C# which interest him the most, and I'm very surprised that so few people have picked up on this.

If you're a software engineer, and you're looking at improving your understanding of C# then I truly believe this book to be a worthy addition to your library, however, it will never be the single point-of-call which the outstanding 'C# in a Nutshell' is.

Seriously consider if you're a confident coder who is looking for a good, solid read. Avoid if you're a beginner or somebody looking for a reference book for the desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 20 May 2013
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
This book is a great dive into some of the more interesting features of the C# language. If you are writing C#, you should probably read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiomatic c# clarified, 26 Feb 2013
Richard Griffiths "SoulFireMage" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
This book isn't your reference or tutorial book. Lets clear that up. You buy it because every programming language has natural idioms that give it great power and expressiveness. C# (AND VB post .net 3.5) have a number of natural ways to express ideas that a good coder will want to understand.

This book does that for C#. I code in Vb only at work and rarely C# BUT the whole book has impacted my career.

The chapter on closures will clear up their usage for anyone confused. Easily and simply.

For a coding book it is approachable, concise, conversational with chatty bloat and well worth your time.

If you are a .net programmer, buy it. It's a bloody excellent work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring your skills up-to-date, 24 Jan 2011
A. L. Taylor "tonka_taylor" (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
This book is aimed squarely it programmers who have used C# for a while, but possibly learned using an older version of the language. It carefully goes through the changes in the language since version 1 and takes the trouble to explain why the changes have been made. Being squarely in this category myself, I am finding it a good fit. Some changes I am finding conceptually difficult (closures and lambda functions in particular) but believe I will get there with persistence. It is not a book for C# beginners, but does not pretend to be.

C# in Depth
C# in Depth by Jon Skeet (Paperback - 25 Nov 2010)
Used & New from: £14.82