5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference manual
Published on 8 April 2005 by Filippo Diotalevi

3.0 out of 5 stars Great examples but not enough detail
I am quite new to Spring but I have attempted most of this book. The early chapters are relatively simple and they are a great introduction with the different ways to approach the subject. The examples are excellent, they clearly show the advantages and popular technologies that are associated with Spring.

But as the book progresses onto harder subjects the...
Published on 19 Aug 2011 by Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference manual, 8 April 2005
This review is from: Spring In Action (Paperback)
"Spring In Action" is a really good book, which adopt a different approach from other books like "Spring Live" (Matt Raible, Sourcebeat): while the latter is more practical and simple, "Spring in Action" is a complete reference manual that covers nearly every aspect of Spring. This doesn't mean it is complicate: every explanation is clear and there are a lot of code examples.
I particularly appreciated its well-planned table of contents: the first part explains clearly what "Inversion of Control" and AOP mean and how Spring makes them possible. The second part is about "Spring in the business layer", explaining how you can write services and Daos, and how you can simply implement transaction management and service remoting. Finally, the third part talks about the Web layer covering Spring MVC as well as other technologies and frameworks. Furthermore, chapter 11 covers application security using Acegi.
The style is always simple and enjoyable, and the length (about 400 pages) allows you to read it in a few days. Overall an excellent resource for any developer interested in using Spring in his project.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great examples but not enough detail, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)

But as the book progresses onto harder subjects the examples are still good but its clear that a lot of problems that will occur have been skipped over and some of the finer details are not explained. Its true that you couldn't write a book covering every problem that may occur but I'm sure the author would have encountered problems himself that he could have included, there are also a few misprints which can confuse you if not spotted.

Overall its a great learning tool as even when you hit problems, you learn many things when you solve them, its just whether you DO solve them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best written technical books, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
I love this book. Craig Walls has written it like a top selling novel. What a way to describe a technical subject. Well I guess it is for those who love to read books and want clear concepts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good spring Book, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
All the fundumentals for Spring MVC is there. Covers topics in detail. Prior knowledge of java is required. Prior knowledge of Web apps is required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, albeit a tad superficial, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
Although an experienced Java and Web developer, I had minimum contact with Spring before getting this book. I had already read a number of pages from Springsource, but the lack of an "official" orientated learning path for annotated Spring 3.1 plus the immense amount of fragmentary information surrounding Spring put me off.
This book accomplished my initial objective: getting me on the right track, briefing me up on Spring technologies and paradigms without extending too much on the minute details of each aspect. It is a pleasant read, humorous and has good teaching value. Yet, one can ask for so much; it is also superficial, as it condenses the broad gamut of Spring framework in roughly 400 pages which has proven insufficient for other than basic examples - As Spring MVC is arguably the most popular of its components, I was expecting an in-to-depth approach but the chapter ended with the feeling of "wanting more".
Please note it is updated for Spring 3.0 but as we are in the middle of 3.2, a new revision is overdue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start, but later very poor, 3 Sep 2012
Lm Lyczba - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
First few chapters are very good, but when you start MVC then you are lost. Source code which you download from the web site have not much to do with examples from the book. Is it that difficult to sort out the code chapter after chapter so I could download it? Probably for this author yes. What the author wrote could make sense but only with code.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spring is in the air, 16 Jun 2012
M. Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
I started programming in Java about 8 months ago. I'm from a C# .Net background. I use Spring everyday on my current Java project at work. It is a very powerful product, which encourages programming to interfaces, and using dependency injection, and unit testing. I was a bit apprehensive in buying this book, mainly because the previous edition received better reviews, while this one seemed be slated by a few people. I asked a few people at work who have both versions, and was recommended to get the most recent version. I am still working through the book, but so far, it is a very easy read! I find it very understandable, coming from a different programming language background. I am a lot more productive in my work, and my code is lot cleaner. I give it 4 star because I haven't finished it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
I am student and I do only know Java SE , no knowledge of EJB , Persistence etc. , but even with this amount of knowledge I am slowly, but thoroughly consume the book. I am trying to understand and run every example in there. No one says it is easy - Spring itself requires patience especially from novice users, this book provides detailed explanation of every aspect it covers. It might have a little inappropriate examples like musical idol competition project, which was misleading at first, since I didn't know what types of real-life-application beans go to Application Context, but this is due my personal lack of knowledge in enterprise area.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent book on Spring, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: Spring In Action (Paperback)
I found this book to be a great introduction to Spring, not only did it cover the material in a well and organised manner but managed to cover a great deal in under 500 pages.

An easy read and a good writing style. Definite if your using Spring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
I've giving this book 3 stars because maybe once I know spring backwards I'll appreciate it.

I bought the latest edition of this book because I understood that the previous editions were greatly respected and thought that this book would teach me at least the basics of Spring 3, and had the initial aim of building a simple database based web app. The main issue is that I think that the book tries to do too much in too little space, and is poorly organised. Following the chapters on data access I got completely lost and then in the later chapter on MVC so much was left out in constructing the simple mvc application. There is no clear progression of getting from point A to point B and whole chunks seem missing. The example code, by the authors own admission, is very disorganised and impossible to understand unless you know know spring, jpa and hibernate, which kind of defeats the object.

If you are a seasoned developer with a strong understanding of hibernate, jpa and at least basic Spring knowledge from previous versions then maybe this is the book for you, if you are completely new to Spring and have limited knowledge of these other technologies then you may want to look elsewhere.

Spring in Action
Spring in Action by Craig Walls (Paperback - 2 July 2011)
22.67