Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2013
As a seasoned Java developer who needed to brush up on his Python skills this book has been invaluable. I was initially recommended Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner but this is clearly aimed at the programming novice (which it caters to very well), and I found it overly verbose. Luckily while browsing the Manning website I spotted 'The Quick Python Book' and since receiving the book my Python skills have increased exponentially.

As stated above, I was looking for a crash-course in learning Python and this book ticks every box for achieving this goal. Chapter 3 alone helped jog my memory greatly, as this chapter provides a high-level summary of the key concepts/motivations behind Python and introduces the core syntax. This book can easily be read cover-to-cover, and can also be used as a reference if required.

I always chuckle when I see the ever-popular Donald Knuth quote t-shirt at conferences "I enjoyed learning Python. Yes, it was a fun afternoon", and this book ascribes to this philosophy perfectly. Although Python may not be that complex, it still does require some skill be become a master, and this book will set you in the right direction - it delivers the maximum impact with the smallest amount of words possible. Just what I wanted!
on 20 August 2012
I was new to programming in Python and was working through the excellent, "Python Programming for Absolute Beginners." I will soon be teaching the new OCR GCSE Computing course and decided to use Python as the main programming language. I needed a back up reference to check and extend my understanding. The online support for Python is very good but nonetheless I am old fashioned enough to like to browse through a real book. I did try Lutz's "Python Pocket Reference". It is indeed pocket sized and a quick reference but it lacked in the detail that I needed and had no examples. Meanwhile I did not want a massive tome.

The Quick Python Book is just right! I can quickly look up any Python construct and try out some examples. As one reviewer writes on the back of the book: "Like Python itself, its emphasis is on readability and rapid development."

Excellent!
on 1 June 2012
I really like this book and wish I had gone for it ahead of 'Learning Python' by Mark Lutz. If you are a complete novice to programming though, then it wouldn't be suitable as a first book.

It reads as advertised - a quick overview of Python. Inevitably, there are some topics that I think could have been expanded upon, and others that I think could have been included. I think an extra 20-30 pages would make the book more valuable, without losing focus on the "quick" objective. Nevertheless, a great book.
on 11 February 2014
I've been programming for many many years, recently decided to learn python, (for pandas, matplotlib etc etc.) for a work project. Also got the O'Reilly Python Pocket reference and the Wes McKinney "Python for Data Analysis". (Both books I would recommend.)

The Quick Python Book seems at first glance to be a nice introduction to python, and maybe thats all its supposed to be.. But it fails to go into enough detail in many important points, specifically in relation to lambda expressions, generators, decorators etc etc.

Generators, for example, get just 2 brief paragraphs.. I like books that are succinct but this is nowhere near enough. When I first read the section (2 paragraphs) I completely misunderstood how python generators worked. It was only when I was watching a presentation from PyCon on youtube that I realised how generators actually function.. [...]

Reading this book will give you a vague understanding of some important things about python but it will not teach you enough python to complete a real project. You still need to read the real story in other books or online in order to really understand. So whats the point of this book?

Another gripe is that the index only lists 1 entry for most concepts.. Meaning this isnt much use as a reference either.

Having said this I do like this book enough to give it 3 stars. The writing is reasonably clear and sometimes brief is good to get a vague grasp of the concepts before filling in the details using other sources.

Not a 5 star book in my opinion.
on 2 August 2013
Very good intro to python. Book is written in clear manner, covering relevant topics in understandable way.
I can recommend it to anyone wanting to dive into this language.
on 15 March 2014
The book is what it is. Just be aware that this book is predicated on Python version 3. This is important. The 'industry standard' is version Python 2.7. So if you're looking to hone your programming skills on the Raspberry Pi, you need Python version 2.7. If you're doing Chemistry with Molecular physics at a major uni, you need Python Version 2.7.

It may be quite a while before Python 3 makes significant inroads into the de facto dominance of Python 2.7, however much the author of this book claims that Python 3 is the way to go.

The first edition of this book (co-authors Harms & McDonald) is frequently available second hand. Mine came from USA at total cost less than £6 including postage. If you're a programmer looking to acquire a new language, this book is the way to go. If you're new to any sort of programming, "Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner" -Michael Dawson- is the runaway best seller for a very, very good reason. If you'd like to find out if you're likely to love python, log onto [...] and experience their free online tutorials. Adh Mor leat, Buadhach
on 19 October 2013
This book is exactly what its title claims: quick. If you are already a programmer and want to learn Python in a couple of days, that's the book for you.
on 13 January 2014
I've only had this book for a few hours and I'm already up to Chapter 5!
Easy to read, good explanations and nice layout.
Perfect!
on 20 August 2014
Wish I had read the smallprint I thought this was an introduction to Monty Python and not something to do with computers :-(