Published on 6 Oct 2007 by Gisli Jokull Gislason

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Published on 13 Jun 2009 by vangoyen

5.0 out of 5 stars A rewarding first hand account of the war and the years after., 6 Oct 2007
Gisli Jokull Gislason "Jokull" (Iceland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I found this book to be a very warm recollection of terrible times. As a reader I felt I had shared in Lubbeck's experience. His story is told at a late age so it is interesting to see what memories stand out, I also followed his post war life with interest, both because Lubbeck comes out as a likeable man and because post war Germany was a troubled land in dark times, the war was over but the hardships were not.

Lubbeck served with the 58th Infantry Division in Army Group North on the Eastern Front. His is the tale of a ambitious infantry soldier that was promoted to an officer in the crucible of war. The story provides a satisfactory explanation as to why German soldiers fought in 1944 and 1945, it also tells less glamorous stories of lice and dirt and how soldiers travelling home changed trains on the border and deloused before going further. This is also a story of an infantry man, who didn't ride a Tiger and walked into Russia while the baggage train and artillery were drawn by horses and R&R was a good bath and latrine.

It is the humanity of the story and the personality of William Lubbeck that stand out in the story. There is also a love story between Lubbeck and his future wife Annelise, their relationship while he was at the front, his worries about her during the allied bombings and her uncertainty of his fate at the front.

All in all a rewarding book.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate memoir from Army Group North, 29 May 2007
An excellent firsthand account of combat in northern Russia. As a former infantryman, I appreciated his detailed descriptions of life at the front and the remarkable sequence of events that enabled him to survive the last few weeks of the war. The section describing life in East Germany right after the war, including a close encounter with a Soviet patrol, was also interesting. As an aside, I was impressed by the number of personal wartime photographs included with the narrative. Given the campaigns in which Lubbeck participated, it's remarkable that they survived. They're helpful in visualizing the situation within Lubbeck's unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping account of WWII Eastern Front, 16 April 2007
Kurt B. Popke (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I just finished William Lubbeck's At Leningrad's Gates. It was fantastic. I have read several good memoirs of the Russian Front, but Lubbeck's stands out as truly remarkable. His account of his experiences was refreshingly candid and provided great insight into the horrors suffered on both sides of the line. I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 13 Jun 2009
vangoyen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this after reading The Forgotten Soldier and Blood Red Snow, both brilliant books which I couldn't put down capturing the horrors of the actual fighting. It is a good book in its own right and the author is obviously a decent man. However, it is a long way away from those other books in terms of capturing the stark reality of the combat situation. If like me you've read those other books and are looking for more of the same then I don't think you'll find it in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather bland given the epic titile, 11 Feb 2013
Although rather a sanitised version I always got the feeling this could have been written so much better especially as he spent so much time at the front.

The information of his family life as a child goes into minute detail at tmes,
and his epiloge to, is very cogent why not the bit in between?

I bought the book to read about his life at the Gates at of lenningrad
But lots of it was glossed over in phrases such as "after two weeks hard fighting we moved back"

I think his ghost writer could have got so much more

4.0 out of 5 stars A great ostfront memoir, 13 Sep 2009
P. Younger "Bookhunter" (Newcastle. UK) - See all my reviews
This is a well written memoir which is a page turner. The author gives a very frank and honest narrative of his experiences on the eastern front. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in the area of operation during the Second World War.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 15 July 2014
I enjoyed reading book. Very well written and I recommend the book to anyone interested in east west conflict during 2 word war.

2.0 out of 5 stars a PC apology, 19 Dec 2013
Mr. Nj Mcallister (Surrey, Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I cant recommend this and in fact deleted it from my Kindle after teh first thirty pages as it is too apologetic. Obviously written with his new home of America in mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 11 July 2013
Mr. Jonathan Baker (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
Very interesting read. Pre and post war bits too. Details authors service in one of the best divisions in army group north.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good read, 26 Jun 2013
Slow to start, it is a humbling life story centered round the 2nd world war. He does not glorify war but merely mentions his activities and points of view. Clearly he was a brave intelligent man of honour and integrity which comes through in this book. I enjoyed this book and found it informative and interesting.

At Leningradís Gates: The Story of a Soldier with Army Group North
At Leningradís Gates: The Story of a Soldier with Army Group North by William Lubbeck (Paperback - 31 July 2010)