on 25 August 2011
Devon James has not had a good childhood. She suffered abuse from her alcoholic mother, which got worse after Devon admitted she was gay.. Devon joined the army to escape and with the hopes of improving her life. At the end of boot camp training, Devon was recommended for officer training. Devon meets and falls in love with Jillian, the woman of her dreams. Unfortunately the CID (Criminal Investigations Division) have Jillian on their radar. Both Devon and Jillian's careers are at risk as the CID begins a witch hunt against them and their friends. Circumstances cause Devon to lose the woman she loves and she throws herself into moving on with her career.
Devon is posted to the middle east, where she suffers a tragic loss and is injured herself. On her return stateside to recover, Devon discovers the CID are still determined to oust her from her exemplary career. They will stop at nothing, even telling lies and trumping up evidence. It doesn't even matter that Devon is a highly decorated, officer and a brilliant leader.

Will the CID get the evidence against Devon? Will Devon ever find the love she so badly needs?
A riveting, nail biting story I simply couldn't put down. This book fired up so many emotions for me. The character Devon, will stay with me for a long time. The anger I felt at the CID knocked me sideways. Only a well written story could bring these feelings out in me. I honestly felt as though I was there with Devon every step of the way.
I served in the military in the early 1970's, in a different country from where this book is set. But no one would know the difference between the way the two armed forces conducted their witch hunts. The behaviour of the CID is so accurate, it caused shivers down my spine.
Well done Lynette Mae, this is a brilliant debut book.. I look forward to reading more from you in the very near future.
on 7 January 2012
This is the debut book by Lynette Mae and what a debut book. It focuses on serving in the military under DADT and the problems faced by gay member of the armed forces and how careful they had to be not to reveal too much about their private lives for fear of being discharged from the forces.
I couldn't put the book down and found myself wanting to protect Devon from the CID. There were some sad bits in the book and some happier times but you felt that Devon would come out stronger in the end.
I look forward to Lynette's next book - it's already on my list of books to buy!
on 18 June 2012
I found this book to be one of the best I have read, and I have read a lot in this genre. The characters had depth and were both likeable and interesting while the story itself was extremely well written and in keeping with the truth behind the story. I would definitely recommend this book to others and look forward to reading more written by this author.