on 6 December 2012
I bought this as a present for my son who is currently self-studying Ruby. He is delighted and has learned so much from the book to enhance and short cut his learning. Definitely worth buying.
on 4 December 2012
This book is more about Ruby artefact management than enhancing the Unix shell. It's a kind of `Jack of a few trades' in that respect. Which is great if you're a developer that is using or maintaining a basic Ruby development environment. However, I was looking for a tutorial on Ruby Unix shell one-liners that I could use when working in a PuTTY window; one-liners that go beyond grep and sed and the bash shell. In this regard I was disappointed. This book does cover the basics of gems, YAML, CVS and Cucumber, but Python does similar (Lettuce being Python's Cucumber). This book wasn't for me, I returned it. If you are looking for a book on Unix one-liner shell enhancements, look no further than: `Minimal Perl for Unix and Linux people by Tim Maher'. I just wish there was a Ruby version of that Perl book.