5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but not just a manual for RSpec, 19 July 2011
Mark Weston (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The RSpec Book: Behaviour Driven Development with RSpec, Cucumber, and Friends (Facets of Ruby) (Paperback)
An excellent, clear and well-written book which was exactly what I needed.

However it is a little unusual. It's called "The RSpec book" but it's more than just a manual or HOWTO for RSpec. It attempts to teach you RSpec in the context of the BDD methodology and the other tools you'll likely use (or the Authors think you should use...) at the same time. So the first example in the book has you writing Cucumber for a chapter before you even get to see any RSpec code. And it has several chapters which are pure theory; a description and justification of the BDD approach to development.

I wrote my first Cucumber features and my first RSpec tests while referring to this book and I still re-read sections as needed. For me as a newbie to BDD in Ruby this "RSpec in a wider context" approach was exactly what I wanted. And the pure RSpec chapters are both complete, and high-quality technical writing. But if you're just looking for a book on RSpec this one might not be quite what you were expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on BDD and code testing, 24 Mar. 2012
I recently read "The RSpec book" and I must say that it's one of the best technical books I've read in a long time.

It starts out with light introduction to BDD and then it keeps the reader engaged by presenting clear examples on how to use RSpec and Cucumber.

Throughout the examples they explain the philosophy of BDD and great concepts like "Red/Green/Refactor" that in my opinion should be engraved in every programmer's brain.

The chapters on Rspec Expectations and Mocks are so good that I've read them twice and the examples they provide really show why we should use mocks and stubs to isolate certain components of our code.

I really recommend this book to every programmer and even if you're not programming in Ruby you'll get a really nice overview of every aspect of BDD and the concepts behind code testing.

Clear, precise...recommended!

PS: This review was also posted in my blog (blog.pedrocarrico.net)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall in Love with BDD and Programming, 9 Dec. 2010
Jonathan Kern - See all my reviews
Thank you for this wonderful introduction to Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) with the awesome Cucumber and RSpec tools.

I have been using this book since early on in it's beta state, and it's still the first place I turn to when I have a question about one thing or another. In other words, this book spans the gap between first-time users and seasoned BDD-ers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 26 Aug. 2013
A. Wenham "DeathJam64" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
An awesome intro to BDD and the agile process. I'm currently only halfway through the book, but I can already feel myself levelling up just from reading this book following the exercises. Cucumber plays as large a part as Rspec so far, so buy this book before the Cucumber ones to gain a decent grounding before hitting the more in-depth stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 18 Mar. 2013
A really good introduction to test driven development and behaviour driven development. Definitely not just for Rubyists, this is a great book for anyone wanting to test their software.