4.0 out of 5 stars an addictive read!
I thought this book was a bit predictable at first, but I slowly found myself getting it and in the end I read the last 50 pages in one go. Like all good books, there's a twist in the tale. Recommended!
Published 15 months ago by BGH

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great at all
I'm a big fan of Japanese fiction and I regularly rave about the works Haruki Murakami & Natsuo Kirino, but this was drivel.

Published on 15 Mar 2011 by Marc Munier

4.0 out of 5 stars an addictive read!, 4 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
this is excellent it has a creepy and unsettling atmosphere throughout and like one of the other reviewers it reminded me of early ian mcewan please do not listen to the reviewers comparing it to other writers such as natsuo kirino etc its a totally different style and should be judged for what it is rather than what it is not there seems to me to be far too many reviewers on amazon who do this and it is not helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I'm one of them..., 15 Nov 2010
Nikki Dudley (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
This is quite simply one of the best books I have read in ages and I enjoyed it even more as it's an intelligent thriller written by a female writer.

Nonami gets right in there with the first scene - a young woman being mistaken for the 'lady of the house' by a neighbour and once he realises, he is just about to reveal a secret to her when the actual 'lady of the house' arrives and foils him. Classic start to a thriller but it wasn't really even the plot that drew me in straight away, it was Nonami's fast-paced narration and the succinct sentences that built tension upon tension, as though she was building a house with unstable bricks, waiting for them to collapse.

Some may consider the story as not entirely original but I enjoyed it - a young woman marries into a family and although she find them entirely pleasant, begins to suspect that they are involved with murder and that some of the family members are playing up their plight in order to hide their true capabilities and relationships to one another.

Confused? You won't be when you're reading. It keeps you flipping the pages until you realise there are none left... A sad day, let me tell you! There is a slightly odd twist that I was rather surprised about and found a little disturbing (and not entirely true to the rest of the novel) but I still think this is one of the best novels I've read in ages and I hope I can find more of Nonami's work. Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Japanese Ian McEwan, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
This has that lovely quality of being both peaceful and gently disturbing throughout. Right from the start, you sense there will be a punchline, but it stays just out of reach for a long time. Fantastically, even after the main revelation of the book, it just keeps on getting better.

The characters are well drawn and the atmosphere is perfectly evoked. If you like other Japanese literature, this shouldn't disappoint. If it's your first time, and you like Ian McEwan or George Orwell, then dive right in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and beautiful, 27 Aug 2009
S. Nielebock "Fette" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
this is a very cool book. It's a beatiful simple story on the surface but it grips you with it's creepy little things that keep happening and you will not be able to stop reading until you know what's going on....this would make a good movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great at all, 15 Mar 2011
Marc Munier (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)

The meanders with no real direction, the quality of the prose was weak - almost like a child had written it. The big reveal is predicable and by the time the author gets round to telling you it's not shocking in any way. It's a by the numbers thriller girl marries family, thinks they are weird oh and guess what they are weird.

I hate to deride creative output but trust me leave this one on the shelf and buy something by the authors I've named above.

1.0 out of 5 stars bit let down really, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
Being a fan of Japanese fiction as such writers as Natsup Kirino and Hitomi Kanehara I was eager to read this book. I would not recommend it - its drawn out and quite irritating throughout with the ending being totally ludicrous and unbelievable. No real substance. Sorry to those who loved it. I just didn't get it at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars leading nowhere, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
This is a book that starts well, and generally leaves you with a feeling of unease. However, it finally reaches the final section and it is as if the author didn't know how to finish it. The creepy atmosphere created early on is let down by a simplistic and unconvincing finish, which neither shocks or brings the story to an end. The ending is far too neat and conservative, to say nothing of brief, for what might have been a thought-provocing and disturbing conclusion.
A dissapointment. KG

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 27 Nov 2011
J. Norfolk "Norfy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
I think you have to like the oriental type of book. They have a diffrent 'feel' to the writing and the subject. I really like a lot of the Chinese/Japanese author books I have read and feel I am learning about a culture too. This book has a very interesting if not different, subject and there is an interesting twist at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a disturbed (and disturbing) story, 4 July 2010
M. Casanova - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You're One of Us (Paperback)
This book is well translated and the story is gripping. Also, until the end it is unclear what the end actually is going to be. I don't see how I can say more about it without giving away any of the story so I'll stop this review here.

Now You're One of Us
Now You're One of Us by Asa Nonami (Paperback - 11 Oct 2007)