Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2013
I have sufered lower back pain in the last 5yrs that troubled me on the bike and eventually led me to seek the help of a chiropractor. They had just sorted the problem out when I bought Danielson's book. It is brilliant and I wish I'd had it for longer! His co-writer Alison Westfahl gives a simple to follow synopsis of the human body focussing on the spine and core muscles that support it. Common complaints regrading back pain are highlighted and then a variety of exercise programs offered. These range from simple stretching to full on core workouts.

I found this to be a perfect and sensibly thought through book. It gives you a good background as to what is going on in your body, particularly your spine and core, without going too technical, and then offers a range of core workouts that range in aim from simply keeping your posture correct to really targeting improvement in core muscles.

The best bit is that these workouts are short, sharp and to the point. They don't leave you shattered, but do enough to improve your core at a sensible pace that is sustainable in any normal working week. Even I have managed to fit in 3x15min sessions and have noted a big difference in my core strength, stability and crucially less back pain. The book works and you'd do well to read it.
on 14 December 2013
Got into core training last year after reading Mark Cavendish's autobiography. Was having lower back problems and thought core exercise might help. Well, they did so searched the Internet for more exercises to do. Was training for London Edinburgh London (1400km cycle ride over 4 1/2 days) and was impressed by how much core exercises seemed to help not only with injury protection but also strength on the bike. Came across this book (was recommended on a cycling forum) so purchased Kindle version. It's brilliant. Really In depth and has a good range of workouts for different aspects of cycling training (such as specific workouts to help with climbing or sprinting etc.). Each workout has a rationale and each exercise is simply expalined in words and then again in pictures. Workouts are then placed into plans for 3 ability ranges.

A must buy for the serious endurance athlete, not just cyclists.
on 26 January 2014
If I was being fair I should have awarded this 5/5 - however, since I was aware of most of the exercises and how effective they are then it has dropped a star. The info is very clearly presented, the exercises do work from prior experience and it is an excellent compendium of these exercises.
on 29 October 2013
I bought this book as I knew I was lacking core strength. This was from a bad back and a physio told me I lacked core strength. Yes I can do endless amounts of sit ups but core stability stuff is where I was lacking. Hence bad back. As I cycle and time trial I thought I'd go for this book. The explanations of why you need core strength and what it means are very good. It makes you realise why you may be having problems. The exercises are very clear and the programs very nice and fit around the amount of time you may or may not have. The only thing I would say is that some of the exercises could cause back problems if you already have a problem outstanding. I would recommend that anyone who uses this book to book a 2 or 3 private pilates lessons to get a greater understanding of immobilizing certain parts of your body to get most out of the book. With pilates know how and this book I would say you have a great combination. This is no easy option though...The exercises are no walk in the park
on 29 July 2014
Excellent very clear and not too technical. Also the author is v credible given his pedigree as a cyclist. It's especially good that the exercises are all suited to doing at home with no special equipment. Very useful that they are all graded and all levels start with a set for people recovering from injury.
on 1 January 2014
Other reviewers reckoned this book is fine in Kindle format. I also had a good look at the preview on the Kindle site, but that didnt contain the exercise plans or diagrams so I didnt see how unreadable they are on screen. I therefore bought the Kindle version. It now realise it is exactly the sort of reference book that you need a hard copy of. The tables and diagrams are almost unreadable on a Kindle. Also learning the exercises requires a lot of referencing back and forth between the workout plan, the diagrams, and the descriptions of the exercises for each workout. This is a real pain on a Kindle so I have ordered a hard copy - wish I had done that in the first place.

On a more positive note, the exercises and plans look very good, and there is an extensive explanation of the anatomy and physiology involved, including the need to target the specific issues that often affect cyclists. I would recommend it, but only in hard copy.
on 2 September 2013
I like the content of this book and one can see how the exercises can help an eager cyclist like myself. The only downside of any of these text books is the design. But since these publications are produced super cheap (and for some people cheap means badly designed) I shall not comment on it any more.

The exercises are good, but as someone coming away from cycling with a serious scoliosis I recommend to have an experienced physiotherapist around when first conducting the exercises. Everybody’s body is different and some movements might be counterproductive to your specific needs.

But as said originally, it offers a good amount of ideas and exercises from which to create nice workouts.
on 29 October 2015
To be a better cyclist - core fitness is key.

This has all the excercises you will need to smash PBs and not get dropped. And more importantly cycle comfortably, be more flexible and recover faster.

You can ignore the opening chps if so inclined and get straight into building up understanding of how to perform the excercises at the different levels - Then do them.
Note that there are good YouTube vids to support this book - As the photos used are sometimes not clear enough on what exact motions you need to perform.(minus one star as photos should be better).
on 29 September 2013
I would recommend this book without reservation - I'm slowly working my way up through level 1 - I have followed Tom's advice and do the routine before I go out on the bike - I find it focuses my mind and helps with my concentration when I'm out, I don't just jump on my bike anymore - it's helped turn cycling into a devotion perhaps. Tom and Alison have created an excellent resource, with clear and informative text and very good photographs and instructions demonstrating the positions.
on 16 April 2016
This was just what I was looking for. I heard about the book when listening to the TrainerRoad podcasts, it was recommended by coach Chad as probably the best book about core exercises for cyclists and I have to say I totally agree. It's got all the info but best of all is the core training exercises all laid out in separate easy to follow programs. If you have been looking for a core exercise program to help with your cycling then this is it ... Period !