Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2011
Fantastic book. Will save me money in the future, being new to mountain biking. I was a runner but being the wrong side of 40 my knees are not so good on the impact side. The book explains everything about mountain bikes and the repairs that will be required due to novice riding it also covers the servicing that all bikes need to keep them going.
on 15 April 2012
this book has saved me plenty of money by helping me prevent me damaging my bike in inexpert attempts to maintain it. i've changed my chainset, bottom bracket, re-run cables, fitted a chain, and even changed out the whole frame since buying this book. Very happy indeed.
on 10 March 2011
This is a very good book for the budding garage bicycle mechanic. It gives very clear explanations and good line diagrams. Some photos would be nice but this would clearly bump up the price. I would highly recommend this guide.
on 7 March 2014
I teach bike maintenance and repair and service bikes, this book is simple to follow and authoritative, I recomend this and the road bicycle book as the best out their.
on 14 November 2011
Good book for beginners and experienced DIY cycle mechanics. The use of drawings instead of photographs helps with the detail and cuts out confusing backgrounds.
Although it refers to some american maufacurers of special tool etc, don't be put off, as all the tooling can be sourced in th UK.
Deals with all the components of your mountain bike(and their variations very comprehensively).
Great buy, will save you money in the long run. Cheers Josh
on 21 April 2014
A very useful book for the novice with plenty of information on the new components for MTB's.
It helps you understand a bit more about how things work and how you can tweak them to your own specification.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has a modern/new MTB.
on 4 May 2014
I've purchased this book for some mountain bike specific maintenance as I already had the road bike version, unfortunately having got this version I'm finding that there is lots of duplication between the two books and not enough detail on some of the topics I would like to see in a mountain bike book which would be things like maintaining suspension shocks which is covered but very briefly for a few specific types.

The book itself is a good broad guide to bike repair and maintenance although it does lack detail in some areas so as your ability grows the book may not give you all that you need.

If you already have the road bike edition then searching online is probably better than using this book, what I would like to see would be a "Zinn and the complete book of bike maintenance" which covers both road and mountain.
on 10 July 2015
I bought this book so that I would be able to maintain my families mountain bikes myself. The book offers very easy to follow step step guides to carry out all of the maintenance tasks you will ever need to carry out. Even providing information on tools as well. An essential guide for anyone that owns a mountain bike!
on 12 September 2013
This is a great book and money saver for any keen mountain biker, everything is well explained, you'll find yourself with more confidence to tackle jobs that you'd normally pay a lbs for. A must have as no one at a lbs will take as much care as yourself with you're pride & joy
on 18 September 2012
I have come to MBT in my mid life crisis. This book gives me confidence to tacke the easy and medium tasks I need to perform.

Easy to read and already my book has oily finger prints.

Also useful to show you what tasks your bike repair shop should tackle as I do not have all the tools.