5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly good
I chose this book on the strength of the reviews already logged with Amazon, but I was hardly prepared for how good it is. It is a hundred times better than I expected.

Published on 1 Sept. 2010 by Tom Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars From Zinn to the bin
While I can appreciate the author's extensive knowledge on the subject. The format of the book lets him down. He employed the use of Mr.Telander's artistic skills. These so called skills, are of the same spirited level as a talented seven year old. The publisher must have photographed several hundred pictures and asked this hack of a draughts person to trace them. While...
Published on 18 Feb. 2011 by The glow in the dark

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly good, 1 Sept. 2010
Tom Rose (Utrecht, Netherland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)

Everything you could possible want to know is here, clearly explained and diagrammed. And it is packed with lots of little hints and tricks about doing real bike maintenance ... obviously written by someone that has done it for real. Unlike those old car maintenance books full of idiotic statements like "Remove the six retaining bolts" ... Duh ... they appear to have welded themselves to the cyclinder head! Or that old cop-out "Assembly is the reverse of disassembly." Not it isn't. It never is. Zinn knows this.

What I was not prepared for was the huge SIZE of the book. It is in A4 format (or bigger) and at least an inch thick. It is not the sort of thing you just pop into your backpack when you go out for a ride.

Now I'd like to see "Zinn's pocket guide of emergency fixes to get you home when your bike breaks down miles from anywhere"

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Cycle Maintenance Enthusiasts!!!, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
Very well written book, goes through almost every aspect of road bike maintenance. Not too deep in some subjects but more than enough to other. A good start for one to understand how everything works.

Downside: Lack of coloured pics...

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could need to know about road bikes., 15 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
I had previously purchased his book on mountain biking "Zinn and the art of Mountain bike maintenance". Both book are very well written and illustrated, everything is written in plain english with fantastic drawings to help understand each aspect. I used his mountain bike book to great effect to build myself a mountain bike (with the help of my brother John). His book took away all the mistery about making your own wheels, installing bearings etc.
The road bike book seems to be just as good.
So if you need a book to help you to repair / build or just plain tinker with your bike then this book is fantastic. ***** five stars in my "book", get my little joke! sorry it's bad.
Thanks for reading my rambling, Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 25 Jan. 2013
A. B. Johnston (Loughborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
I must be one of the least equipped people to do anything practical on a bike, and to be honest, I thought the reviews I'd read were OTT. But I don't think they were:
- it is VERY easy to understand
- the instructions are incredibly detailed and easy to follow.
- it says how easy or difficult a task is, which is incredibly valuable if you're not a practical person.
I've been able to sort several things that others might find straightforward but before getting the book would have been beyond me. I'm delighted! It si already saving me money as I don't need to take my bikes to a shop to sort the maintenance things that have been necessary. Riding is so much more enjoyable with a well-set-up bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Oct. 2011
Eamon Green "eamon306" (Newark, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
I love this book. Lots of nerdy detail delivered in an easy to read format with a good sense of humour.
(Reminds me a bit of "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" a well known book amongst vintage campervan and beetle owners.)
Gives me the confidence to tackle any job on my bike and saves me a fortune on workshop bills.
I'm even considering a go at wheel building!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and easy to understand. Illustrations are all drawn but very clear and easy to follow, 8 May 2011
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
This book is excelent. The author has a wealth of experince but is never patronising and his instructions are clear and easy to follow. Reading the book has given me the knowledge and confindence to undertake many complex tasks I previously had to pay my local cycle shop to carry out. If you own raod bike, and you actually ride it you should buy this book

5.0 out of 5 stars The road bike maintenance book I always wanted., 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
This is a fabulous comprehensive book that covers pretty much everything you need to know about road bikes, from the basic set-up to the most advanced bike maintenance, even wheel building. The description is so detailed and easy to understand that you think there is a guy with endless patience talking to you. And patience is what you need. The writing is supported by plenty of drawings and diagrams which guarantees that you are able to assemble the parts you have just taken apart! There are plenty of pro tips too, so the next time you go to a bike shop you are not quite at their mercy.

I wish I had come across the chapter on emergency repairs before I went on my cycling holiday. Who would have thought you can stuff the tyres with grass when stranded with a puncture in the middle of nowhere and no pump in sight. Yes my boyfriend a bike weight weeny left the pump in the hotel room to save weight and didn't mention a word. At least he went back and rescued me.

Yes, I can wholeheartedly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Answered me every time so far, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
I commute about 90 miles a week on a touring bike, so I often need to tweak and tune. This book works very well for that, and I consult it frequently. I'd also recommend it for anyone about to buy a road bike - it will certainly help you choose the right frame and fit it out best for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get this book....., 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
The thing with cycle maintenance is that it's fairly easy so as you go about it in a structured way. This book is full of useful tips and helpful diagrams and will help the budding cycle mechanic with most jobs. Ok some of the pictures are a bit dull but serve the purpose and the exploded diagrams are very useful should you wish to totally dismantle some components. The latest incarnation is bang up to date with all modern groupsets. At around £12 on Amazon it is an absolute bargain and will quickly pay for itself. A must for all amateur cycle mechanics and if you are a bit nerdy it's a great way of understanding how your bike works and worth a read right through anyway.

The book also covers virtually all of the tools you could possibly need and more

You know what they say, "if it aint broke keep fixing it until it is".

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as it gets., 14 July 2012
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
precise descriptions and detailed illustrations makes this book the absolute best bike book ever written. I had my doubts when I saw that the illustrations were drawn, but I must admit that they make more sense than most pictures featured in other books.

Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn (Paperback - 15 July 2009)
Used & New from: £12.42