Format: PaperbackChange

on 12 November 2012
This book is a revelation.

It gives an amazing method for constructing a training year. Don't expect a series of pre-set training plans. This book expects you to spend some time off your bike, with a pencil and paper, or a spreadsheet, and to actually absorb what the book says, and use the info and the methods given to build your own structured annual training plan (ATP).

The explanations and reasoning of every step in constructing the ATP are absolutely clear, and all you have to do is take on board what is said, and you'll be equipped to create yourself a progressive plan that builds up to your chosen events.

Now, the best bit is, it's for everyone. I'm certain that the scary guys and gals with spray-on clothing and their helium filled carbon bikes will get a great deal of benefit from building up to their race season following the methods described in this book. But also, people like me: an overweight 46 year old in my first year of cycling, will also benefit tremendously.

You see, the best way to train is always the best way, regardless of where you start. I will do pretty much the same stuff as the pros. But I'll do less of it, and at a lower intensity. This book allows me to construct my own annual plan using the same techniques as the pros, and the plan is fitted exactly to where I am in my training. It won't be too hard or too easy, because the plan I constructed is based on, and targeted for, me specifically, and for the amount of time I have available to ride and train.

The ATP you produce for yourself using this book will give you motivational goals to reach throughout your year, and will allow you to vary your training to keep interest and motivation high, whilst ensuring that every week, and even every day, what you are doing that day is directly progressing you along your path.

The ATP I've constructed commences in 2013 (I'm writing this in November 2012), but in the meanwhile, I've done myself a shortened four month plan to see out the rest of this year. Already my fitness has improved dramatically, I'm enjoying the challenges the training sets, and enjoying the critical rest days as well.

If you prefer to have a structured plan for your training (and it's the best way to see constant and significant gains), and if you are prepared to spend a few days reading the book, and then a few hours with Excel or an online training planner, then I think you'll really like this book, and probably will get great benefit from following its method.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2011
Very readable and very in depth approach to improving your cycling performance.

Get this book if you want to get better at racing, I bought it after getting hammered at a local crit, and decided I wanted to finish higher up the field.

This is no beginners book, but if you're willing to commit to some hard and solitary training, then this will show you how.
on 25 August 2013
A methodical approach to building cycling fitness. Great book to help you structure your training year. Perhaps a few more pointers on training sessions content would be handy
on 27 April 2013
Every triathlete has needs and wants, the Joe Freil Cyclist training bible is a definite Need to have if you want to succeed in the world of cycling, or triathlon.
on 4 January 2014
I highly recommend this book for anyone who is serious about improving their cycling performance.
It is pretty technical, which I appreciated, as I felt that I was constantly learning as I read the book.
This is a book you will read again and again, and a really good reference too, for making decisions about your training plans.
on 3 November 2013
Very well written covers just about everything you need to know. I suspect there are more accessible books than this for complete beginners with little knowledge of the sport but everyone can take something away from its pages. If you have a paunch for engineering and/or science you are going to love it!
on 10 June 2014
Been cycling for a couple of years and decided to start a proper training programme for myself.

This book takes a complete novice, or a semi-pro racer, and teaches him/her how to write up their own personal cycle training plan from scratch - depending on their strengths, weaknesses, age, skill levels and goals.

Contains some great info and an insight into the training behind one of the fastest growing popular sports/passtimes of the moment.

The book is paperback, but of large size, with numerous diagrams and pictures and written in a readable, relaxed style.

But, does it all work?
Well, I'm now 8 weeks into my 37 week training programme and my cardiovascular fitness has gone through the roof. I'm also a much more confident cyclist with clear cycling goals and the ability to reach them.
on 3 March 2013
I don't doubt that, if you work hard enough at wading through it, you can get some benefits from this book. But the author goes "round the houses" to make some very simple points, and makes everything far more complicated than it needs to be.
This is reflected in the various graphics, many of which are completely superfluous (I often found myself spending inordinate amounts of time trying to decipher the graphics, when the underlying concepts which they were supposed to be illustrating were far easier to understand than the actual graphics). Also very repetitive and poorly structured: I was often thinking "you have said that countless times already".
on 8 January 2016
This book isn't the problem, it's the fact that it is still being sold that makes me annoyed. It is worth noting that the book was published in this edition in 2009.
The book cites Lance Armstrong as an example of what can be achieved by following its principles. DRUG CHEAT.
It cites Tiger Woods as a sportsman who trains well and wins. BURNED OUT AT 40.
It even referenced the excellent work done by the East European Sports teams in the 60s, 70s, and 80's. In particular it refers to the East German sports teams as shining examples of what the right nutrition and exercise regimes can achieve. ABUSIVE, MANIPULATIVE DRUGS CHEATS.
This book needs to be re-written or taken off sale. I shudder to think about what a young cyclist might be tempted to do based on the references in this book.
on 4 February 2015
TERRIBLE BOOK, over rated by people on here. Too much waffle in the content at one point the author fills a full page about getting a health screening to see if you have cancer !!! What the hell does that have to do with improving technique. There is a lot of over complicated writing here that is a poor attempt by the author to make himself sound cleverer than he is. Thats my opinion anyway wish i hadnt of wasted my money !!!