5.0 out of 5 stars If only this was out when I started Ironman

Published on 9 Oct 2009 by Must TRI harder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If only this was out when I started Ironman, 9 Jun 2004
By A Customer
Looking at it objectively, Ironman Triathlon is insane. 2.4miles of swimming, 112 miles of cycling and then a marathon? Tell anyone that you are going to do it, and they'll tell you you're insane. But to complete an Ironman, first you've got to have passion and dedication. They will get you to the start line, and if you are lucky you'll make it to the finish line too.
This book, written by the guru of triathlon training, is based on years of experience and presents the science and art of ironman training in a logical and easy to follow format. It covers everything: training, equipment, psychology and (most importantly) nutrition.
Most people who do Ironman don't have the luxury of a personal coach. Get this book, and you'll have Joe Friel as your personal coach. Not only will your chances of becoming an Ironman go through the roof, but you'll probably amaze yourself with your result.
For those Ironman veterans, this is an excellent source of yet more information. And it's something you'll want to keep dipping into

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information for an ironman newbie, 19 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This is a great book for those people, like myself, that were slightly daunted by trying to achieve the distance. It takes you through the most important areas that a newbie should aim to achieve first to ensure a finish and then (now I'm going for my second one) how to go about moving forward to a target time. I'm also sure that for those of you looking to qualify for Hawaii it has all the right stuff in their for you too.
One of the best sections is the description of how you are likely to feel at differenct sections of the race, such as mile 60-80 on the bike etc. It allows you to, within reason, get your head around what your day is going to be like - other than long ;)
If you're willing to commit to doing an ironman then i recommend forking out £10 for this as it'll repay itself easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for budding ironmen (and women), 30 Oct 2005
phil (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're thinking of doing an ironman this is an invaluable guide. It guides you through every aspect of planning, training and finishing your first (and subsequent!) ironman race. The sample training plans are very useful in giving you an idea of the volume and type of training you need to do. Importantly stresses the pointlessness/danger of doing too much running. The author also offers a "contact me" facility. I thought "yeah right", but tried it and got a prompt and useful response. Probably the best piece of kit you'll buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars This would be better if it was complete - check yours on receipt, 9 Oct 2009
I worked my way through this, it's easy to follow has all the right advice in a good style for an age grouper fearful of what they've let themselves in for. You follow the training, in my case the "Novice", fitting in as much as you can around the balance of your life. I decided not to look right through the program to see what was to come, I wanted to train in the moment. I'd read the whole book just not all through the training schedules. BIG MISTAKE - get to the key part of the program only to find that some 10 weeks of training was missing. It is a missprint because the pages run sequentially even though the training period is missing. Of course by then I'd had it for so long it couldn't be returned. By all means buy this, it's a good training companion but CHECK IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH ON RECEIPT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironman Way of Life, 10 Sep 2003
Joao Maral (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
By far, this is the better triathlon book I ever saw, and believe me, I'm a expert reader in the matter. Because the book is written for ironman athletes, and I am also one, this book could be called "Ironman Training Bible", because is just the most complete book about the distance. Nothing that could be learn here, is a new kind of method. The authors mixed the old way of reaching the top, with new and efficient techniques. I know their work for several years now. Joe is one of the best coaches in the sport, and unlike others, he's not afraid of sharing his knowledge and studies. Gordo, in other end, is the guy that went from middle of the pack (his first Kona experience was in 1999, with an International Lottery Slot, just like me that year), to the very top of our sport (3rd place Ironman Canada 2003, and Ultraman Champion 2002), cutting about two hours to his performance in the distance, in only four years (!!). Because this is a book about all aspect of Ironman Training, you can achieve a good knowledge of what is an Ironman Way of Life, in other words, Gordos Way of Life; he, like no other, as shown (in xtri.com and gordoworld.com) us that the abilities to ironman success are simply in learning; and because he has been an avid student, as a teacher, he's the best we can get.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good comprehensive guide, 10 Aug 2006
As someone who has competed at duathlon, and running, but not yet triathlon (weak swimmer) and is contemplating whether it would be possible to complete an ironman I found this a pretty good guide, and picked up some useful (I hope) tips. Like most books of this nature, it was a bit "dry", but it was better than many training guides I have read. I really liked the way that it focused on the important aspects, and put the swim, bike and run into perspective. Without this, I'm sure I would have approached training in a different way, probably spending too much time running (and too fast), and worrying much more about the swim. And I'm sure I would have ended up overtraining. Now I know I should put the majority of my focus into the bike, and getting in the 3 key weekly sessions. I actually feel like the training could be manageable.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Finisher (2005 Ironman UK), 25 Feb 2006
By A Customer
Excellent book full of all the information you need to complete the distance.
I did the get you round schedule and completed Ironman UK in under 16 hours.
It can be done, I agree with some other reviews everyone will think you are insane...you will think you are insane yourself at times but Going Long explains how to deal with these doubts and turn them into positive energy to complete the challenge.
So don't be affraid start a truly wonderful journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars some good stuff, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Going Long: Training for Triathlon's Ultimate Challenge (Paperback)
if you don't have The Triathlon Bible, then this is a good guide to training for a long distance tri. However, if you already have read The Triathlon Bible, then there is not much extra in this to merit buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Ironmen, 5 Jun 2013
Definetely a great decision to get a sample of this book if you have decided to go all the way. It helped me a lot on my first ironman distance race with great examples of how to get around things.

The book contains schemes and tables of what to do whether you are a beginner, intermediate or pro. Especially the preparationsguide for the final week and the post race guide was of great value to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, informative, wide breadth of content, 4 May 2013
I bought this booking looking for advice on how to improve overall physical / aerobic fitness in 3 of the sports I most enjoy - swim, bike and run. Haven't actually tried competing in a triathlon before, just do a few road running races. Contrary to pure running books out there who are geared to athletics folks doing a lot of mileage, this book is rich in advice that encompasses not only the 3 triathlon disciplines, but also technical skills - so crucial not only to improve results but also to avoid injury - nutrition advice and mental shape / putting it all together in the context of the typical amateur athlete's life. It offers relatively little in the way of detailed plans but rather insights into how to improve for each fitness level (based on swim, bike and run tests which you can easily complete on your own). So I recommend it not only to the triathlon enthusiast but to those aerobic sport fans who are looking for a book on how to improve on any of the 3 disciplines.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Going Long: Training for Triathlon's Ultimate Challenge
Going Long: Training for Triathlon's Ultimate Challenge by Gordon Byrn (Paperback - 30 Jan 2009)