5.0 out of 5 stars A great learning aid and reference
I own three books on Grails, and find myself referring to this one the most. I tend to want to know how to do
a particular thing - eg, "get a controller" going or "test that domain constraint" and have found the book to be
Published on 16 Dec 2009 by Mr. D. Dalton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, now dated
This is an excellent book, being both comprehensive and well written. Sadly it suffers from the Achilles heel of many technical books: the product it describes has changed radically since it was written. E.g. the example application, based on Grails 1.x, needs major surgery to work on 2.x, and the referenced version of Spring Security is obsolete.

That said,...
Published 15 months ago by P. E. Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars A great learning aid and reference, 16 Dec 2009
Mr. D. Dalton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grails in Action (Paperback)
very good at answering those questions. In comparison, I personally found the other books dry and - while I'm sure the material is in them - found it difficult to find what I needed to answer my questions. I wish I'd bought this one first!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written with great examples., 10 May 2010
John Rellis (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grails in Action (Paperback)
I have used the Definitive Guide to Grails for quite some time now and I think it is a great book..... it is however, a little disjointed. I noticed this when I wanted to teach myself the in's and out's of testing in Grails. That's when I picked this up... the testing section alone is very well written and it is clear that the authors are very passionate about this stuff. The authors take a TDD approach... exactly what I was looking for. I have used the book as a reference ever since and it is great, I would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book ... great application., 16 Sep 2009
M. S. Dathorne (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grails in Action (Paperback)
The "In Action" are just so well presented and this book follows suit.

After following the Grails tutorials and documentation online, this book really is the perfect guide to getting things done!
Within a few days of purchase I was building an application which is now available for international users.
After years of java/struts devlopment, using Grails to build data interfaces makes web site development both truly enjoyable and productive!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, now dated, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Grails in Action (Paperback)

That said, it is still a decent introduction to an amazing framework. To get the best from it, I recommend using Grails 1.1.2 while working through the example application, then installing the latest version (currently 2.2.1) and reworking the code until it works again. You will learn (and swear) a lot.

Grails in Action
Grails in Action by Peter Ledbrook (Paperback - 20 Jun 2009)
28.99