4.0 out of 5 stars A good introductory book
What do you do if a bright youngster asks you about learning to program? This was a problem I had earlier this summer. There are lots of books out there that introduce languages -- but most of them are aimed at people who are already in the "l337 53kr3t k0d3rz klub".

Published on 16 Aug 2009 by Steven Gilham

3.0 out of 5 stars Python 2.5
I bought this for my grandson to be able to learn programming. I like the book, but was disappointed to find that it is written for Python 2.5 instead of the up-to-date Python 3.2. Many of the examples in the book will not work with 3.2 unless modified.

I found nothing in the book description which mentioned 2.5.
Published on 18 Feb 2012 by Derek Waters

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introductory book, 16 Aug 2009
Steven Gilham (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners (Paperback)

Hello World! is one of those rare exceptions, a gentle, and humorous introduction to the idea of programming, using Python, a language well suited to filling the niche that BASIC dialects did a generation ago. Even to a crusty and cynical old-timer, like myself, it makes entertaining reading -- not only is the writing style light and engaging, but you can nod sagely and think "Been there, done that" at all the "In the good old days" asides.

Trying out on members of the target audience, it has proven a hit. In its catchy and absorbing manner, it explains the fundamentals (the simple things like variable names being, well, just names) clearly and the exercises concentrate on making fun things happen sooner rather than later. The infectious enthusiasm of the author even managed to hook my non-programmer wife, and get her trying out the examples.

The only reason I'm not giving the book a full 5 stars is that what makes it good as a teaching book, leading the reader in a quick tour of the concepts, rather than plodding through in a slow and structured (and boring) way leaves it not so good as a reference once the reader has worked through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 July 2011
It's weird I remember being a kid in the 80s and there were loads of books for children on programming, not just how to get started but all different types of things to write programs about. Different collections of games program, adventures, action and so on. These days there seems to be almost nothing, which is a great shame. I had great difficulty finding anything to use with my children for programming however what a bit of luck that then one book that's available is so good. It's written as a dialogue between the father and his son and the approach is really engaging particularly for children. I know as we went through it my daughter was really taken by the challenges the little boy was seeing as he went along and the various wise cracks he made about how his father was explaining technical topics.

Brilliant book, if you're looking something to get your children going on the coding bug early on this is definitely the place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Warren Sande!, 29 Dec 2013
MSKL (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a non-coder mum who has a code-crazy son, I needed either a full time geek at home (hubby is a dance teacher so no joy there) or a book that acts like a tutor. "Hello World" totally does the job. My11 year old son is gradually teaching himself python, has not lost interest and has a pretty decent understanding (I think!) of the basics of coding so far. Thanks Mr Sande! The only issue now is extracting him from the screen to come up for air / food / sleep / school and other such inconveniences, but if he ends up in the industry, we will defo be able to say that this book was his first tutor. Well played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing ..., 13 Dec 2011
Azrael (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been trying for some time to get my son, who has professed many times a desire to learn to program, a good book. I've been hampered, possibly, by the languages that I know myself ( C / Perl ) - but when I came to look at Python myself, I saw this as an opportunity to do something with him - I got the O'Reilly books, and I got my son this. So far, I've actually found it nigh on impossible to pry the computer out of his hands. The book is well paced, and introduces concepts in a smooth and, it seems addictive, way. The examples are good - and the active Python command line really makes it the perfect learning environment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Python 2.5, 18 Feb 2012
Derek Waters "dbw" (bristol uk) - See all my reviews

I found nothing in the book description which mentioned 2.5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 19 July 2013
Great book, would defo recommend to little would-be programmers. Needs an adult to work with alongside. Got it for my 8 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb 2012
Brilliant introduction to programming. Chapters are well paced and the 'tests' at the end of the chapter are thought provoking. Cannot recommend this book highly enough.

ARRAY(0x9cf1cab0)

Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners
16.94
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available