on 15 October 2008
I cannot rate this book highly enough. It is the best book I have read in ages. I completed it in two sittings; I was gripped from the first page.

I loved the characters, especially Eden, the protagonist. Warwick wrote her in such an amazing way that I completely connected with her and felt all the emotions she did. I was so in tune with her that when she cried, so did I.

The story was so well written. Warwick explored friendship, love, high school, family, death and music. The description of some of the pieces James played were breathtaking, and I could almost hear them. Watching Eden mature and fall in love was beautiful. Feelings were explained magnificantly. To see broken relationships patched up and repaired was lovely, and realistic. Every issue Warwick wrote about was successful. Even the relationship between Eden and James was sensitively written, and believable. I could easily see this happening in reality, playing out just like it does in the book. James was a lovely character. I fell in love with him too, it is hard not too!

I am so happy to have read this book. Nothing has left my disappointed. I loved the ending, the sense of maturity, adulthood, and adventure into the next chapter of Eden's life was amazing.

I don't have a bad word to say about the book.

10/10
on 3 October 2008
Having reading 'An open vein', another gem by JM Warwick, I looked forward to reading 'A Season of Eden' and I am glad I did, it was a fantastic read.

Brilliant and interesting characters, I initially did not like Eden but as the story progressed, you found out about Eden, about her past and how it affected her and you realise how lost she actually is and how she finds someone similar in Mr Christian, her teacher.

The anticipation between them jumps off the page at you, you want them to be together.

The relationship is explored from all aspects and you really feel for them both, after the last page, you will still be thinking about this book.

Another fantastic read by JM Warwick, an insightful read, very different from other YA books out there, an amazing talent.

I recommend 'A Season of Eden' highly.
on 2 August 2011
When I first heard about this book I jumped at the chance to read it right away. A romantic relationship between a teacher and a student is so taboo that I had to read it! Unfortunately, this book did not live up to all the expectations I created in my mind. That is not to say that this book was not good. It was actually really good, there were just a few things missing, at least for me.

It is Eden's Senior year and she needs to take an elective. She doesn't want to take a class that she actually has to do work in so she chooses an "easy" elective, Concert Choir. However, Eden becomes obsessed with this class, and not because she loves to sing but because of her new music teacher, Mr. James Christian. Right away she is overwhelmed by his voice, his preppy style fashion, and his music. She also notices that he is only four years older than her, making him that much more appealing. Her life becomes consumed by James Christian and the possibility of a real relationship, despite the fact that he is her teacher and she is his student. Soon, just like the forbidden fruit, a forbidden "friendship" is formed, one that puts them both in jeopardy, just for different reasons.

While I was very eager to read this book I became very weary very quickly. Eden's character screams "stereotype" throughout most of the book - she is very rich, popular, beautiful and smart, all of which she knows and plays off of, and even uses people and situations to her advantage without feeling. She comes off as very self centered, selfish, and fake. Only when you read some of her 'behind the scenes' you find that there is more to Eden than just looks and money and popularity. Her relationship with her father is strained if existent at all. Her relationship with her step mother is one of disdain. The relationship between her and her boyfriend is one of convenience, at least on her side.

Despite Eden's superficial qualities, Jennifer Laurens has actually done an amazing job at creating a real teenage girl. For Eden her crush consumes her life, just as any real teenager girl would feel (at least most). You also see little glimpses into the growth of her character throughout the book - like most, teenagers (and adult) don't grow up overnight. In fact they make a lot of mistakes! Eden is not excluded from this. She gains a realization of her mistakes and character and acquires the desire to change for the better.

There were a few things that would have made this book make more of an impact for me. I would have loved more information/scenes that gave more background Eden's relationships: with her parents, including her step mother, as well as with her friends. Her relationship with her friends said nothing beyond superficial, and it was hard to believe that she really cared about these people when she spoke to them. I also would have loved to read more about James Christian himself. Eden finds qualities in him that are profound, but his actions and words don't equal her feelings - of course this has a large part to do with the fact that she is a teenage girl completely smitten.

While there were a few things missing, A Season for Eden is a wonderful read. The writing style is simple making this a very quick read (I read it in a day and a half). It is a perfect read for the summer. While it may not have made it to my favorites list, I highly recommend this book!
on 15 March 2011
I fell in love with him, too! Surprisingly well written, a nice easy read, finished it in one sitting. I could easily relate to the things in the novel - for example, Starbucks, and songs, etc.. It had an element of realism, and is perfectly believable. Had me gripped till the end. J'adore!
on 15 April 2012
A Season of Eden is amazing well paced. Slow enough to keep me reading but fast enough to hold my interest too. It's a pretty simple story with complex characters and I found it compulsively readable. The story explores the idea of a student-teacher relationship, which didn't seem too weird to me, as Eden was 18 and four months from Graduating, and James Christian was 21. Actually, he was 22 at first and then later on it said 21. So... I'm not sure...

Eden is popular. I picked this up quite easily and I found it really interesting to see it from her perspective, as she just found it normal that girls would walk away if she gave them a look, and people would clear a seat for her if she wished. It wasn't something that she cared about either, she was just used to it. Her home life is equally interesting - her Mom died a year or so ago, and her dad remarried only a few months later. Now she barely speaks to her Dad and comes home to the sound of her Dad and Step Mom arguing every single day. There are things that happen in this broken family later on that really made me sympathise with Eden.

Of course, the main focus of this story is obsession - I.E. Eden's obsession with James Christian. The story starts around the same day she meets him and leaves us on a bit of a cliff hanger at the end. I guess to let us make up our own minds about what happens next. James himself is very easy to imagine, as Eden does go in a lot of detail about him. A heck of a lot. However, if you're reading this for anything other than the romance aspect, don't. The story is about James and Eden and there's very little else. The sexual tension between the two of them was pretty intense, and kept me reading right to the very end to see what would happen. However, despite this, the book was pretty clean!
on 10 March 2012
This book explores the controversial relationship between a student and a teacher. However, this isn't like most other books I've read. The relationship is short-lived and as the readers, we find ourselves yearning for the love to be united between them. The main character, Eden, finds herself lost in her new music teacher instantly. She discovers that guys her own age are too immature for her, so she sets herself a mission to win his heart.

She spends every possible second with him, which I find quite annoying to be honest. It is typical of a book with this narrative to have the student infatuated with her teacher, but her obsession becomes a little unhealthy in my opinion. The book is centered around her obsession; she thinks of him first thing in the morning, she thinks of him last thing at night, she thinks of him every second of everyday. She's truly in love, though she can't be sure at first whether her feelings are reciprocated.

I don't like Eden much, but I love the way her ideas are communicated. I could feel the anxiety she felt moments before she saw Mr Christian every morning. I felt like it was me who was in love with a teacher.

This book is interesting, engaging and extremely hard to put down. I was gripped from the first page, completely lost in it. I loved the narrative, the way everything fitted together like a glove and the way Jennifer Laurens described everything. Her central character is a good reflection of a teenage girl. I'd definitely recommend this book.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

I didn't want it to end at all; I wanted it to keep going until I was ready to move on. It made me even more excited about reading. In my spare time, I always read as much as I could before I had to put it down. It really needs a sequel though.

I'm not going to say too much about the actual story, you'll have to read it for yourselves...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The melody reached in. Touched me. Filled me. As if an invisible siphon leeched off the notes and chords with the urgency of needed breath. He slowed the piece, his long fingers curling and flattening on the ivory keys, his eyes closing, lashes pressed against his cheeks. The tune echoed off the empty walls with one final deep chord. When he opened his eyes, they locked on mine. His hands slid from the keys and into his lap.

`There can't be anything between us.'"

Eden, a senior at her high school, needs to take an elective. She signs up for Concert Choir, which has always been labeled as an "Easy A" class. She doesn't expect to even care about the class... Much less, truly enjoy it.

However, when Mr. James Christian, the beautiful, young, new teacher, enters the room, Eden's heart stops. Concert Choir will certainly be more than she ever bargained for. Soon, Choir becomes her favorite class, and not because of all the beautiful music. A forbidden attraction springs up between Eden and her teacher, which they must repress.

Eden, dealing with her distant father, terrible stepmother and the loss of her real mother ten years previously, has a lot going on in her life. She seeks solace through Mr. Christian when her school friends become less than helpful. After having experienced a more mature friendship with Mr. Christian, people that she used to hang out with (her ex-boyfriend, etc.), seem suddenly immature and uninteresting. He seems to understand her in an adult way that she has never experienced before.

The dynamic between Eden and her teacher is very interesting. Little details display the subtle changes in their relationship throughout the novel. The reader will slowly watch her change how she addresses him... He goes from Mr. Christian to James Christian to James. Yet, although he is only four years older than Eden, there is still the teacher-student gap that cannot be bridged.

A SEASON OF EDEN will have you wondering, hoping, and crossing your fingers, waiting for something to happen between the two. J.M. Warwick has written a book that can and will be enjoyed by all different kinds of teenagers.

Reviewed by: Margaret Waterman
on 30 March 2011
Finished this book in few days. I fell in love with everything that was related to this book.
Easy to read and very enjoyable, probably because I felt the same as Eden at that time.
on 10 April 2015
An enjoyable read for fans of student teacher novels, but the hero is a bit "soft" and the heroine rather a brat.

Eden, the heroine, is 18 but really acts like a 15 year old. She's spoilt, immature yet precocious.

Her love interest, 22-year-old music teacher James, is a nice man but something of a sop.

I give this book five stars because I think the situation is actually quite realistic. Remembering my own schooldays, we had several religious-minded, extremely inexperienced young men teaching teenage girls who were far more sexually aware and precocious than the teachers were.

I've seen reviewers question why James falls for Eden. It's not really much surprise: he's a (probably) virginal, shy young man of 22, just out of college, and she's an assertive and attractive 18-year-old. He likely went through college as a complete dweeb eternally "friend zoned", and she's the first woman to show interest in him.

There's no real "age gap" excitement here, honestly their relationship crosses no real boundaries whatsoever. So don't expect a thrill. But if you want a fairly realistic portrayal of what high school students can be like when it comes to a teacher crush, there's some accurate material here.
on 11 September 2014
Really was looking forward to this book but it disappointed me greatly. Eden is a dull, superficial, over dramatic character and has no real teenage girl qualities about her. Mr Christian wasn't that fun, just a weak man who sheepishly fell in love with the hottest girl in the school, surprise surprise.

The story goes to quickly, conversations are short and unrealistic. Description is quite good though but I still regret spending my money on it.